Safrotto Bags Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maritimus831

Oct 11, 2005
whoa...its coming to the end of the year, and i'm gonna buy lots of stuff! first, my Sigma 24-70 f2.8 lens, a Manfrotto 055pro tripod and i also need a side sling bag (tired of lugging my mini trekker around when i actually don't need all my equipment)

so now, looking at these bags
Lowepro Stealth Reporter 300/400/500 AW
Lowepro Toploader 75AW
Tamrac 5606

So how are the Safrotto bags? BTW, are they waterproof? they have a particular model that looks very similar to the Stealth Reporters, and it looks pretty nice in brown! do they have their own model that is similar to Toploader? How is the build quality?

arttl said:
Go check them out at TCW.
i'm asking for peoples comments :p...
Checking them out at TCW will not make a difference, what i need is user-opinions on about how durable they are, looking at them at the store won't be informative of their durability. only users can testiment.

BTW, are they waterproof? they have a particular model that looks very similar to the Stealth Reporters, and it looks pretty nice in brown! do they have their own model that is similar to Toploader? How is the build quality?
er... all these you can see for yourself @ TCW.
you weren't exactly asking for user comments ya..

I love the fact that Safrotto bag can be unzipped from the top. That's why I got mine. Durable, slim and good. Got so attached to it I dumped my reporter AW away. I really got sick of carrying a cube (Have a look at the Reporter AW onwards to get what I mean) around with me wherever I go. It's my camera's 3rd home (1st being my Dry cabinet, 2nd being my hands)

Instead of buying a bag blindly, you should consider your needs ba.. me, I can't stand taking 5 min to unpack and pull out camera. I don't carry more than 3 lens + 1 flash out with me, so that bag is just nice for me. enough space for me to dump a tshirt in, just in case.AND, it actually looks like a normal bag, doesn't scream PHOTOGRAPHER to everyone. Not for the showy people.

*EDIT..
btw safrotto carries the exact same series as Reporter AW. Go TCW have a look, don't be a obnoxious snob like me. I didn't give a hoot about Safrotto bags till i saw 1 pro use it. I was surprised by how spacious it was and how convenient it was. When I checked it out at TCW, I was surprised to find similar stuff to the Reporter.. at a much cheaper price..

i share the same sentiments as Unseen. It's certainly a very reliable bag. :)

which model do u guys use? BTW, what is the model # of the Safrotto bag that's similar to the Stealth Reporter?

maritimus831 said:
which model do u guys use? BTW, what is the model # of the Safrotto bag that's similar to the Stealth Reporter?

which stealth reporter are u referring to? 100AW, 200AW etc..

i had a couple of safrottos b4. they are quite durable (of course, there are also horror stories from CSers abt the seams splitting, pockets bursting etc..) and comfortable to carry ard. lowepro bags, i find, are quite rigid cos of the paddings. so, with heavy equipment banging ard ur hips... :sweat: safrottos, on the other hand, are soft cos of very little padding. u win some, u lose some.

oh yeah, IIRC, safrottos are all canvas bags - ie no exactly very waterproof. u might need to go to the DIY shops to buy those 3M waterproofing spray for ur bags. even then, it can only take a light drizzle. heavy rain... :nono:

I have a Safrotto and I think it's fab! A sand-coloured Domke F2 clone. I can't remember how much I paid for it, but it was a fraction of the price of the Domke. A real steal.

When I treat it with 3M's water-proofing spray, it can stand quite a substantial downpour for a short while. Enough for you to run to the nearest shelter. The outside construction is solid and it's holding out very well despite substantial abuse. The bags don't come with a shoulder-cushion. Get one of those, because the straps can be very harsh on the shoulders after a long day.

The major downside is its inner compartments. They're pretty crap. Very thin sponge and the stitching comes off very easily. I'm still using it though, and it's been more than a year already. Good enough (just barely) for its purpose, lah. The other concern (for some people, lah) could be some other "photographers" may look down on you because you got a Saffrotto instead of a reeeaaall Domke. Haha!

But I say without any hesitation: BUY IT! :thumbsup:

hi, i m currently using a Safrotto L-900#. its w/ me 4 under a yr so cant say how long it will last. did change 4 a betta shoulder strap though. got it under $90.

capacity (main):-
1) SLR cam w/ 28-200mm tamron lense
2) an additional lense
3) 2X 500ml water bottles or 1X 500ml + a table-top tripod

capacity (2X front pockets)
1) cleaning kit + spare batts
2) other small items (depends on where i go)

capacity (undercarriage)
1) 3 filters up to 77mm diameter (ttz wad i hav), may / may not fit larger 1s.

i prefer a Lowe-pro but ttz more dan 2X d price!!:eek:
hope tt helps...:)

Checked out Safrotto when I was looking for a less bulky sling bag. Seems alrite, but you prob have to replace the inside paddings as they are not going to protect your equipment.

TMC said:
Checked out Safrotto when I was looking for a less bulky sling bag. Seems alrite, but you prob have to replace the inside paddings as they are not going to protect your equipment.

aft adding a plastic tray it seems 2 work, keeping it from flattening. ttz lelong shop tray 4 nic-nacs...:)

maritimus831 said:
i'm asking for peoples comments :p...
Checking them out at TCW will not make a difference, what i need is user-opinions on about how durable they are, looking at them at the store won't be informative of their durability. only users can testiment.

Well, how do you want to compare a $60 Safrotto bags to a $100+ LowePro bags??

I have both brands. And both serve me well. My theory is: If the $60+ bag fails, throw away and buy a new one. Not saying LowePro bags won't give way. I used to haf the 650AW, Computrekker Plus AW (still using), MiniTrekker, Magnum (still using), Nova series, Rover AW (still using), sideline shooter and Omni Sport. Now using the Domke-look-alike Safrotto bag more often, cos I think the Domke costs a bomb.

Durability? Ask yourself how often do you bring your stuff out to shoot. Buying the suitable cam bags depends on what equip you want to bring out to shoot. I like the AW series from LowePro cos they come with the raincoat. Some Safrotto bags have that too.

If you are the brand conscious type, buy LowePro.

Btw, I'm sure Nick or Daniel from TCW can anwswer all of your above questions.

Cheers,
Jon

I am using the safrotto toploader (large size, should be abt the same size as the 75AW), typically with my DSLR mounted on 80-200/2.8. Used it for 10days holiday and on the last day, the strap broke, luckily I managed to catch it before it fell.

TCW replaced it without any questions or cost. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.