SAFRA marathon participant dies at end of 21km run

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtemujin

Apr 1, 2005
Singapura, Singapore
SINGAPORE: A participant of the SAFRA Sheares Bridge Run & Army Half Marathon collapsed and died on Sunday morning.

25-year-old Captain Ho Si Qiu collapsed at 7am at the end of his 21-kilometre run.

Medics attended to him within 30 seconds.

At the medical post, an intubation was performed and when no heart rhythm was shown, cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) was immediately carried out.

He failed to respond and was sent to the hospital some 20 minutes later.

The cause of his death is being investigated.

Organisers of the run have extended their deepest condolences to the family of Captain Ho.

Organisers said proper safety measures were in place, with 13 medic points set up and over 100 medical personnel deployed.

Sixteen ambulances, each equipped with defibrillators, were also present.

Some 70,000 people took part in the run this year, 5,000 more than last year.

- CNA/so

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/296104/1/.html

So young... may he RIP :(

anything special about this guy dying?

more and more young dudes are dying because of straineous sports. poor chap. condolences to his family.

so sad, 7th month, don't do dangerous things, you will tempt him. :devil:

Sigh... Time to go, will go. I had 5 pple around my social circle passing away within 7 days.

Condolences to CPT Ho.

So surprised that it happened to someone so young & fit.

what does intubation entails?

An Accident, I was there running also.

what does intubation entails?
When you are unconscious, your tongue may fall back and prevent you from breathing. Intubation involves putting a tube through you mouth into your throat to allow the airway to be opened, so that air can be supplied to your lungs when you are not breathing.

many thanks.

i am wondering if the capabilities, combined experience of the saf medics and (young) doctors on duty are in question. i stand corrected on this.

When you are unconscious, your tongue may fall back and prevent you from breathing. Intubation involves putting a tube through you mouth into your throat to allow the airway to be opened, so that air can be supplied to your lungs when you are not breathing.

So surprised that it happened to someone so young & fit.

Nowadays damn strange.

Young and fit also die with heart problems.
Old and unfit also die with heart problems.

Exercise or neber exercise also die with heart problems.

haizz....issit due to our diet huh?
Last time police wear shorts neber had such news so often leh???

:dunno: :rolleyes: :dunno:

Nowadays damn strange.

Young and fit also die with heart problems.
Old and unfit also die with heart problems.

Exercise or neber exercise also die with heart problems.

haizz....issit due to our diet huh?
Last time police wear shorts neber had such news so often leh???

:dunno: :rolleyes: :dunno:

Due to stress we place on ourselves during times studying, working etc... and not enough time to relax...

Due to stress we place on ourselves during times studying, working etc... and not enough time to relax...

that's a possibility, though unproven.

I think he pushed himself too hard, over his limits. SAF always teach soldiers 'Mind over body'. :confused: Sometimes, cannot really means cannot.

Status
Not open for further replies.