Safety with White Lenses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newman

Mar 2, 2003
TBC
Hi folks,
I just want to know if it's safe enough to go to places in SEA like Thailand with Canon's white lenses? Safety tips for any other place in the region would be helpful also.

Thanks.

I think you best not go. Canon users are severely disadvantaged because of their precious L lenses are just too eye-catching. Thieves have long been trained to spot the white barrels from a distance of 2 kilometres (after all, how can you miss them?). Also beware, but Canon's white lenses also have a tendancy to explode on contact with heat, hence their special colouring.

Stay home.

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

:(
Hmmm, maybe I should make a black jacket for it? :think:

Originally posted by Jed
Stay home.

:bsmilie:
I have seen people walking arround the beaches in Phuket with white barrels. It will be alright, just bring along your heavy monopod just in case somebody holpdup you, then it will serve a different purpose.

Originally posted by AntZ
:bsmilie:
I have seen people walking arround the beaches in Phuket with white barrels. It will be alright, just bring along your heavy monopod just in case somebody holpdup you, then it will serve a different purpose.

If they see me carry a monopod, they'd probably whip out a pistol!!!:eek:

Does travel insurance cover theft/robbery of camera gear? Maybe can check *explicitly* with your agent if your gear is covered, and to what extent, ie replacement or just partial compensation (or not at all).

i agree with the pistol part: my life worth more than me L lens. YMMV.

I think insurance does cover theft and would probably cover the cost of the equipment depending on how old they are. I understand from NTUC's that the insurance basically covers 5 yrs and with each year you can only collect 20% less of the preceding year's value of the equipment. So if you lose it at the 1st yr, you can claim 100% but at the 5th year it's only 20%. But your equipment can qualify for insurance only if it's less than 6 months old.

I would definitely explicitly check with them. Sometimes items are limited to a certain value per item, as well as a lump sum total for a specific category (eg photographic equipment). Usually these are designed for normal amateur photographers, not well heeled and/or enthusiastic Singaporean photographers with equipment worth stupid amounts.

Originally posted by Newman
:(
Hmmm, maybe I should make a black jacket for it? :think:

this is when gaffer tape comes in handy

Originally posted by Jed
I think you best not go. Canon users are severely disadvantaged because of their precious L lenses are just too eye-catching. Thieves have long been trained to spot the white barrels from a distance of 2 kilometres (after all, how can you miss them?). Also beware, but Canon's white lenses also have a tendancy to explode on contact with heat, hence their special colouring.

Stay home.

:thumbsup:

:bsmilie: Hilarious

Originally posted by Newman
I think insurance does cover theft and would probably cover the cost of the equipment depending on how old they are. I understand from NTUC's that the insurance basically covers 5 yrs and with each year you can only collect 20% less of the preceding year's value of the equipment. So if you lose it at the 1st yr, you can claim 100% but at the 5th year it's only 20%. But your equipment can qualify for insurance only if it's less than 6 months old.
they will never pay ya e full amt... i got robbed abt SGD 1000 in BAngkok... and my insurance only paid mi 400SGD.. somehow i believe they got a MAX to give

Perhaps 1 body, and 1 zoom lens will allow you to enjoy yourself more? After all, what is the point of a trip but to see, learn and enjoy, rather than worry about valuables and heavy equipment? Unless you are shooting on assignment then that is another story.

If you think security and personal safety is an issue, then best is to go light. :)

U may check wif yr agent/broker or Ins co to SPECIFICALLY insure the items concerned. Ins Co will ASSUME that yr camera eqpt are the normally P&S type if u do not bring it up to their attention. Also pls insure yr items for loss under a REPLACEMENT basis of settlement. Which means the ins co will replace yr loss item with EXACTLY the same model if it is lost/stolen. If it is insured under a INDEMNITY basis of settlement, Ins co will take into account WEAR N TEAR. If unfortunately, yr eqpt does go missing, pls do make a POLICE REPORT at the country of loss. Hope this helps.

Originally posted by fruitybix
Perhaps 1 body, and 1 zoom lens will allow you to enjoy yourself more? After all, what is the point of a trip but to see, learn and enjoy, rather than worry about valuables and heavy equipment? Unless you are shooting on assignment then that is another story.

If you think security and personal safety is an issue, then best is to go light. :)

I quite agree but then when u own all the white lenses and IS or what-nots, it's hard to leave any one of them at home. Come to think of it, there are very few places as safe as Singapore.

The best advice is common sense and caution.

Originally posted by kiwi2
The best advice is common sense and caution.

good advice. :thumbsup:

when shooting, keep ur eyes peeled, and be wary of ur surroundings. keep a watchful eye on ur equipment/bag, and not just on the subject.

Canon users should best use a small, sleek and unnoticeable camera to capture their precious moment. Better still, borrow one camera from their nikon brothers so in the case of Theft, you will not be so hard broken!:bheart:

Originally posted by Belle&Sebastain
Better still, borrow one camera from their nikon brothers so in the case of Theft, you will not be so hard broken!:bheart:

yeah, instead you will have bones broken

Originally posted by fruitybix
Good point. I suggest "Stay at home". Don't lose brain cells worrying whether gotta rob or watever. :devil:

Hmmm, guess I should bring only my EF 50mm f/1.4 for night shoots and the Tamron 28-300mm. Have to leave my 2 Lovely babies at home then.:(

Maybe can hire a bodyguard there?........:D

Status
Not open for further replies.