Safety Concerns Using Dry Cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yezrah

Jan 18, 2004
Sembawang
heaveartma.spaces.live.com
Hi......friends out there using dry cabinet. Must I constantly on the electricity when using the dry cabinet? How much is the electricity cost for a 30L cabinet per month? Do you feel safe leaving the dry cabinet's electricity on if you have to be away for a few days? Thanks.

Yezrah said:
Hi......friends out there using dry cabinet. Must I constantly on the electricity when using the dry cabinet? How much is the electricity cost for a 30L cabinet per month? Do you feel safe leaving the dry cabinet's electricity on if you have to be away for a few days? Thanks.

Yes
Negligible
Yes

The dry cabinet is supposed to be on for 24/7/52 :D

never had any problem so far,
better to spent a little on electricity than having fungus on your expensive equipment rite ;)

It's kinda like your fridge. You keep it on 24/7 too right?
And a fridge eats more electricity than your dry cabinet... :rolleyes:

hi...
can anyone recommard me which brand of dry cabinet is good???or is there different kind of dry cabinet???can anyone enlight me???thanx!!!

how much is a dry cabinet cost ?
what is the difference with dry box ? what's the price for dry box (cheap one) ?

where to buy it ? what is the dimension roughly for the average/small size

please enlighten, thanks :thumbsup:

Please search the forum using 'Dry box' or 'Dry cabinet' as keyword. I got many good info from there.

Bought my 50L for $99 from Carrefour. Don't know if they still have or not.

PLRBEAR said:
Bought my 50L for $99 from Carrefour. Don't know if they still have or not.

so is it good????
how was it so far....meet ur requirment??

Since this topic concern of fungus possibly reproduced on camera if left alone w/o any dry cabinet protection, can I know what about those camera that is selling from the shops? those brand new sets? do they placed every new box in such dry cabinets cos I noticed that almost every new camera in retail box comes w/o any plastic shrink wrapping so, what do you think? how the shop or such new camera or even those on display prevent getting fungus?

dingdong said:
Since this topic concern of fungus possibly reproduced on camera if left alone w/o any dry cabinet protection, can I know what about those camera that is selling from the shops? those brand new sets? do they placed every new box in such dry cabinets cos I noticed that almost every new camera in retail box comes w/o any plastic shrink wrapping so, what do you think? how the shop or such new camera or even those on display prevent getting fungus?

maybe they did clean those camera on the display....and for those new one in the box....there is some kind of silicon gel that can prevent the fungus from grow....so am i rite??

is it, but I have previously bought new camera and I don't noticed any such gels or etc, even the box comes without any sealing, the camera itself is packed with removeable plastic only. So what else do you think? They got a special storeroom that houses such boxes of cameras?

dingdong said:
is it, but I have previously bought new camera and I don't noticed any such gels or etc, even the box comes without any sealing, the camera itself is packed with removeable plastic only. So what else do you think? They got a special storeroom that houses such boxes of cameras?

Fungus do not grow overnight on lense and cameras. Normally for retail shops, they will not keep stock for a very long time, as it means higher holding cost for them. For example this particular model of camera sells 1 unit every day. The shop will anticipate the stock level of this model, once it drop to 2 units they order 10 units from the manufacturer. So they will keep about 10 days of the model in their shop. 10 days normally will not get fungus unless it is contacted with water. Of course the real number of days is dependent on the different model and equipment type. Imagine you have 10 units of 70-200 2.8L IS in your shop, who can always buy that? Not many will be able to afford, hence they will keep only 1-2 units (example only) in the shop and place order for you if stock runs out.

Christopher

roosevelt said:
so is it good????
how was it so far....meet ur requirment??

Yes. Most definetly. I've got two camera bodies and a whole range of items in there other than my lenses. Comes with an analogue indicator. I store my cigarettes in there and they last a damn long time. Camera equipement should be stored somewhere between 45-55% humidity. Everytime you place something in there that's been outside, you'll see the indicator rise. It will take some time to come back down.

The brand name of the dry cabinet is called "Everone", but is actually made for another major brand. Can't remember which one, but it came with instructions for both brands, and that how i knew. :thumbsup: Good buy for sure!

Hey Plrbear. It's definitely a good buy. I know I'll be going down to Carrefour this evening and buying one as my 30L is running out of space. Thanks for the info bro. Oh yeah...don't worry about leaving your drybox on all night cause it is meant to do just that. And just like Ah Pao said you leave your fridge on 234 x 7 right??? That consumes a lot more eceltricity than the dry box. See ya at Carrefour. One more thing Plrbear....any particular branch of Carrefour?

jbma said:
Hey Plrbear. It's definitely a good buy. I know I'll be going down to Carrefour this evening and buying one as my 30L is running out of space. Thanks for the info bro. Oh yeah...don't worry about leaving your drybox on all night cause it is meant to do just that. And just like Ah Pao said you leave your fridge on 234 x 7 right??? That consumes a lot more eceltricity than the dry box. See ya at Carrefour. One more thing Plrbear....any particular branch of Carrefour?

yo bro...can do me a favour too...help me check out see wheather the stock has run out or not...hehehe thanx!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.