Safekeeping of camera in hotel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gizmore

Jul 11, 2006
Going on a biz trip to China for a couple of days. Thinking of bringing my 40D along. Question is how to safe keep the camera in hotel? Put it in safe? or just leave it around the hotel room during the day?

Take it along. You may come across photo opportunities. Otherwise, lock it in the room safe.

The hotel has the ability to restart the safe actually, at least when i last went europe thats what the hotel staffs told us. If you are worried the people tidying your room somehow gets to open your safe :)dunno:) , just try to bring it along.

Ryan

The hotel has the ability to restart the safe actually, at least when i last went europe thats what the hotel staffs told us. If you are worried the people tidying your room somehow gets to open your safe :)dunno:) , just try to bring it along.

They do, but probably not the cleaning staff, if that is who you're worried about.

That's correct, normally the front office manager together with a security department personnel will re-set the safe when necessary.

This happens when guests check out but forget to leave the safe door opened.

Ryan

The hotel definitely have the ability to restart and open up the safe. but of cause only with staff who have the rights or position to open like Manager on duty.

I believe there nothing much to worry. btw I have safe for my guest, we do not open unless instructed by our guest and ofcuz we verify and get a witness with us before doing anything.

BTW some newer safe which is commonly use in hotel will be able to provide a logsheet of the safe.

I was just saying if the TS is really worried. I put my cash and valuables in the safe anyway

Ryan

not safe. leave yr camera at home. no worries at all.

If you're bringing it, then use it to the max. Since you're already lugging it over there, at least do yourself justice to get good pictures! :) If not, just bring a PnS.

Though I can't say for all hotels, those major or established ones are reasonably ok - unless you're talking about those out in the wilderness sorts.

Since bringing overseas, might as well use it. For me, If I die die have to leave in the hotel, I would hide it in my clothes luggage case.. Lock, and leave.

thanks for all the input. guess i will either keep it in safe or lug it along.

jus scare the safe not big enough.. haha

Ya.Safe sometimes may not be big enough.Last hols when I went to malaysia,my 80-200 f2.8
was too long for the safe when I put other lenses in.

have personally experienced a case where my hubby's new book which he brought along during the trip being read and left in the hotel while we were away. how did we know? the book cover was bent!! and guess what, the hotel room door was left unlocked by the cleaning crew when we were out!! it's the same hotel, a supposed 4-star hotel in malaysia :thumbsd:

so better to hide in the safe or bring it out bah!!

Why u want to bring your 40D and keep it in the Hotel safe?
Is your home a not safe enough? while you are away?

Just kidding.....:sweatsm:

Since you bring my 40D over there...why not use it and bring it along.
If you want to bring over and put it in the safe, like that you rather dont bring it and put it at home will be more safe than hotel..
at the same time you don't need to worries too much while you are away or having meeting and etc....

It is not safe to leave it in the hotel. I recommend that you carry it with you always. You never know if any tempted housekeepers will just take it away.

I'll recommend you bring just 1 lens...put it into a camera bag and bring it with you on your meetings. When your customers/business associates ask, just tell them "i am here to capture image of your beautiful city. Do you have time to show me around?"

I am sure they'll be more than happy to entertain you.

I usually don't trust the room safe except to keep a few frequently accessed items, and also to lock away my wallet, etc. while showering/sleeping. For more valuable stuff, use the safe deposit box at the front desk if the hotel has one. It is a 2-key locking - one held by the hotel, one held by guest.

They do, but probably not the cleaning staff, if that is who you're worried about.

yeah.. it would be extraordinary if the cleaning staff knows how to unlock your safe..
it's handled by another team of employees who may not get the key to your room so easily.. ;)
unless you go to a home-stay type of hotel..

It is not safe to leave it in the hotel. I recommend that you carry it with you always. You never know if any tempted housekeepers will just take it away.

I'll recommend you bring just 1 lens...put it into a camera bag and bring it with you on your meetings. When your customers/business associates ask, just tell them "i am here to capture image of your beautiful city. Do you have time to show me around?"

I am sure they'll be more than happy to entertain you.

wah... thats a good line... :bsmilie:

Ohya....

I remember on my last trip.

I forgotten my pins password and call the Hotel Lobby.
after awhile a old uncle come to my room said that he is here to open the safe and carried a metal hook.

He shifted the safe out and place the hook on the back of the safe and pull and the safe is open. just like that..... no keys or other stuffs... just a metal hook.

After that I know, opening a digital safe is so easy...
that's really make me wonder now....
So will be safe to bring your stuffs along.....

Status
Not open for further replies.