safe/unsafe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

epia

Oct 14, 2004
Singapore, Simei
zelcadence.org
Hi guys.. this qns has been bothering me for quite some time now.. especially for those of you who backpack travel in other countries or shooting late at night and take public transport.. do you usually go shooting in a group? It always feel so unsafe for me to carry a few k equipment ard... :sweat:

It depends on a few factors:

+ the place you go to. Do check out if the place is tourist-safe.
+ how conspicious your equipment and gears are. Try dressing down and use not-so-obvious bags as camera bags
+ go in a group if possible
+ stay clear of dark or less popular areas

I go travelling alone, so common sense applies:

- Even though u may be looking thru da viewfinder, make sure ur eyes are not thru the viewfinder only!
- Stay alert
- Dress poor, look poor, feel poor and make ur camera look all battered up (of cos, dun smash ur camera for this. Gaffer tape come in handy)
- When in doubt, dun go. If u really go, keep both eyes open and raise ur alertness level to 1000%.
- Apologise even though u may be correct and the other party in the wrong. Humbleness is the key to getting away safely. Of cos, when all else fails, run. When even running fails, dun think, fight to perish.

My principles governing my travel. :D Works for me, not sure if it works for u.

actually, if it ever comes to it, get a good strong strap. I find a 1.5kg camera swung from a strap to be one of the best weapons around. Heck, i've konked ppl with my nikons before. Thats why u should invest in a good body eh? Nikons have been konked around so often, its a miracle they still work. Look at it this way, u're gonna lose your camera anyway, why not damage it in the process. ITs a once in a lifetime chance, and it might save your life.

Lol... fighting with your camera.. from both replies.. looks like photographer love fighting eh :bsmilie: Hmm looks like low profile works best .. tnks guys for the input .. /me go learn fighting ;p

szekiat said:
actually, if it ever comes to it, get a good strong strap. I find a 1.5kg camera swung from a strap to be one of the best weapons around. Heck, i've konked ppl with my nikons before. Thats why u should invest in a good body eh? Nikons have been konked around so often, its a miracle they still work. Look at it this way, u're gonna lose your camera anyway, why not damage it in the process. ITs a once in a lifetime chance, and it might save your life.

"Enter the Dragon II"! I can imagine Bruce Lee swinging a Nikon on a leather strap.

Probably learn some self-defence is a plus?

Many years ago, I was palnning a solo photo trip to Thailand. After reading a few travel books to Thailand which point out the risks. I gave up the trip.

It's a nature of photography that we like to shoot in dawn and sunset and find a solitary spots to shoot from an usual angle. That would expose us to risks.

I say the suggestion of going in a group is a wise one. Post your travel plans in ClubSnap and there may be stronger and taller photographers who want to go there too.

I was mugged by 2 lantinos on a bike in Madrid when I was shooting night scens around thespanish capital.

everything was lost, including my passports and air tickets...

They strangled and beat me up, and I was really caught unaware by them. Later, the police told me that it was probably lucky that i didn't resist, as most of them have weapons on them when things get out of hand.

it didn' help that i dyed my hair, and looked like a japanese tourist eventhough i dressed rather sloppily...

jsbn said:
When even running fails, dun think, fight to perish.

fight or perish? fight or flight.

Fight to perish.

Dat means even if u and the mugger are going over the cliff into the raging seas and jagged rocks, just do it.

Rather den to die alone and let the mugger escape, I'll drag him to burning hell with me.

Well, I guess its worth one's life when u meet a crazy mugger who robs and kills? ;)

To me, at least.

Its not abt the camera, passport and money.

Ur last breath of life, as the serial crazy mugger gloats over ur death and spits on ur near lifeless body. U've got 2 choices:
- Snuff urself out of existence by closing ur eyes
- Snuff both of u out of existence by mustering ur last strength to perish

:D

Stefen said:
cameras, even passports are not worth your life.

i work like hell, endure the most irratating clients just to earn my keep, cent by cent and sweat it out and you tell me is not worth it? Hell has no warth like a hungry and angry man has has been assulted and mob.

szekiat said:

Tripod or monopod also :thumbsup:

Can turn your regular tripod into umbrella if you DIY water resistant cloth & mount on the 3 legs when open up. (Note : arms of size 15inch min.)

Can trun monopod into walking stick.

denniskee said:
Tripod or monopod also :thumbsup:

Can turn your regular tripod into umbrella if you DIY water resistant cloth & mount on the 3 legs when open up. (Note : arms of size 15inch min.)

You just gave me an idea... anyone tried opening up the tripod but don't extend the legs and use it as a field chair??? Of course most tripod stated allowable weight is < 10 kg but I guess if the legs are unextended, the tripod can hold a person weight??

denniskee said:

Can also turn it into a spear if u buy the spiked replacement :D :angel:

Wah, this thread getting more & more dangerous :bigeyes: . For those without martial art background, do not try this. :bsmilie:

crazypaladin said:
You just gave me an idea... anyone tried opening up the tripod but don't extend the legs and use it as a field chair??? Of course most tripod stated allowable weight is < 10 kg but I guess if the legs are unextended, the tripod can hold a person weight??

That what I have been doing to my 055 tripod + 268 ballhead. Not sitting on it but using it as 3rd leg (guys, dont think crooket).

I want to mount a huge spike on the hotshoe then anything i use my camera body as weapon. weapon of choice 1v or 1dmkII.

Status
Not open for further replies.