Safe to use higher end canon cameras in Bangkok and Pattaya?

Please define your kind of safe.

So many people been there.. and done it. Many come back safety. Some might get rob. But for me..ill just bring. Whats wrong? Funny question..

Or are you referring to the flooding?

I suppose as long as you don’t submerge your camera I don’t see a problem!

though im not using canon, but i have friend who brought some expensive gear to ur mentioned area, and nothing happened to him also..

see alot of ppl sling thier 5D2 and L lens walking around over there. also alot of ppl with other dslrs.

but if they got mugged or what later on I don't know. hehehe.

Just have to bring them with you everywhere. Make sure you dont leave them unattended. BTW hotels are not 100% safe I have friends who lost Laptop and stuff in the restaurant.

This applies to everywhere you go , even in SG on internet said his gear stolen as he did not lock his car and the gear somemore in the car boot park in SG.

BTW this thread should be in TRAVEL ! no.

Just make sure you've visual over your gears and they are within arm's reach.

Just have basic common sense and you should be safe. E.g. Avoid backlanes, always keep your gears within arms' length, etc
You can also have your stuff stolen in Singapore, not just in Thailand. So never leave your stuff unattended

Buy travel insurance that covers theft. Take caution. Don't flaunt your gear. Stay within tourist spots if possible.

I guess with all sensible travelers, the best tip is not to roam around by yourself at night or especially to back alleys where you get a higher risk of getting robbed. Unless you want to. :bsmilie:

I think it doesn't apply to just higher end models. Unless the robber or thief is particular about the camera model and thinks "hmmmm this one is 60D and below model art thou shall not rob/steal". I hope all robbers are like this for I own a 500D then I would be safe!! :bsmilie:

Just joking. Usually I just make sure my camera is kept in bag or sling tight close to me in front. And it's with me wherever I am, except in my hotel bathroom.

actually compact cameras are big targets becase they are easier to steal and easier to offload(sell away)

When overseas, I usually keep my camera in the bag and take it out only when the need arises, though you might miss a good photo opportunity. But even then people still stare at my bag like its made of gold :bigeyes:

Just curious if you buy a 1d and dare not bring out, then what point to buy such high end camera? Suggest to join photography group and with local tour guide then your chances get robbed may be lower. You don't need to bring such camera for family trip. Get a mirrorless with kit lens will do most the job.

It would be much easier to rob a lady with a Prada or LV than a man with a huge heavy camera.

How come girls never think like we do in here?

A thief or robber is more likely to unmount your lens and run off with it than to try wrestling off the expensive camera off your neck. He/she more likely to distract you in the front while another member unzip your bag and make off with the lens. ( i kenna the later) ...

worse to worst. keep the bag like super close to you. prevents the theft.
if you're BURGLARED tho, just take out your HP camera, take a photo with the burglars, post on facebook, then hand over your camera.
that said, if you move around generic places like the areas nearer to MBK and general city, it feels like Singapore to me.
Not so sure about the countryside or the quieter places that you might want to visit.

worse to worst. keep the bag like super close to you. prevents the theft.
if you're BURGLARED tho, just take out your HP camera, take a photo with the burglars, post on facebook, then hand over your camera.
that said, if you move around generic places like the areas nearer to MBK and general city, it feels like Singapore to me.
Not so sure about the countryside or the quieter places that you might want to visit.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... alright.