Safe to use higher end canon cameras in Bangkok and Pattaya?

eleveninth said:
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... alright.

I wish some people here will share some of that good stuff... :(:(:( or at least where to find it.

No issues using high end cameras/equipment in BKK/Pattaya as long as you exercise some common sense when moving around. Avoid quiet streets, watchout for suspicious bikes following you, etc. There are many cases of snatch and run in BKK. They would ride by on a bike where the pillion would grab the victim's belongings (bags, cameras, etc) and escape. They won't care if you're using a 550D, 5D or 1D, they only care about the opportunity. Another kinda theft common in Thailand car break-ins, so avoid leaving your camera stuff in cars, even when out of view, its still not safe. Many Thais posted their ordeal about losing camera equipments in their car on the thai forums. Also, try not to attract attention with your camera gear when checking into hotel rooms, there are also many cases of people spotting for opportunity to break into hotel rooms. Be safe :)

Just exercise common sense. And remove your neck straps with loud CANON EOS or NIKON straps. Replace them with sling straps like black rapid or sunsniper or other similar straps. Moto-rsnatchers will go for people holding unsecured Dslr, compact cams, mobile phones or handbags.

Many of us who went to HCM city for crossing bridges experienced first hand. Two of our members were victims of snatch thieves, but both attempts were unsuccessful.

Just exercise common sense. And remove your neck straps with loud CANON EOS or NIKON straps. Replace them with sling straps like black rapid or sunsniper or other similar straps. Moto-rsnatchers will go for people holding unsecured Dslr, compact cams, mobile phones or handbags.

Many of us who went to HCM city for crossing bridges experienced first hand. Two of our members were victims of snatch thieves, but both attempts were unsuccessful.

interesting, how were they unsuccessful?

eleveninth said:

The camera was more important this time, so they held on for their lives. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Poor Stanley though, he cut his hand badly. :(

Wow... all this is getting me rather worried. In that case I don't think I should bring my Manfrotto tripod...

The Indonesian member was taking a group photo, holding his camera with strap hanging... as the motor zoom towards him, the rest of the group saw it and shouted, and the shooter pulled his camera to the side just as the motor zoomed past.

As for the Singaporean member, he still had his wrist strap on his LX5. The moto-robber got a hold of the cam but couldn't break free, so he let go, but not without dragging the victim to the ground, and the camera got smashed on the street. Victim was ok after some handiplast, and camera is in SC now getting fixed. Quote is around $150, so damage wasn't too bad.

All these happened when the photographers are in a group. So always have your camera on a cross shoulder sling... if your stock strap is not long enough, get a longer strap.

I spent quite some time shooting in the less safe part of town with a veteran street shooter, but once you have some common sense, and be on your guard, you are most probably ok. The veteran also taught me some tricks. He will often do some funny actions, and talk to all the street vendors along the way, and some of them are very friendly to him/us. This way, when they see us again, they will laugh, smile or wave at us. As soon as some locals look like they know us, our risk level drops, because the snatchers will be more wary, because they are not sure if the locals knows us well or not. Or if someone can identify them or not. But never think for a moment the risk is not there. This shooter was shooting in another quite bad part of town alone recently, and when the time gets late, the locals kept telling him to leave the place or he might get into trouble. Communicate with the locals, and your subjects. They are more helpful than you think.

But do not, at any time, think that there are no risks or you are safe. This is the same anywhere, in any country or even in Singapore. Be alert.

Last edited:
Wow... all this is getting me rather worried. In that case I don't think I should bring my Manfrotto tripod...

Trust me, no body will want to steal your tripod. And a big tripod is good as a weapon in sticky situations. Veteran street shooters overseas tell me a monopod or tripod is always good.

daredevil123 said:
Trust me, no body will want to steal your tripod. And a big tripod is good as a weapon in sticky situations. Veteran street shooters overseas tell me a monopod or tripod is always good.

Spike feet ur tripod! A trident is always useful! Hahha joking...
Usually you will have tripod secured to ur bag while street walking. Much harder to snatch. And I dun think it really make sense to deployed it and leaving it unguarded. Meaning no self portrait in the street if u dun feel secure.

Spike feet ur tripod! A trident is always useful! Hahha joking...
Usually you will have tripod secured to ur bag while street walking. Much harder to snatch. And I dun think it really make sense to deployed it and leaving it unguarded. Meaning no self portrait in the street if u dun feel secure.

Seriously, tripods are really not on the menu of snatch thieves... Firstly, most of them do not understand the value of these, and secondly tripods are a lot harder to re-sell. Mobile phones and compact cameras are usually top on the wanted lists.

And tripods/monopods are better used as clubs, than spears. ;P

Last edited:
I am more worried in JB than thailand.
Just a personal thing.
So need a bag to hide attention ....

ahboy168 said:
I am more worried in JB than thailand.
Just a personal thing.
So need a bag to hide attention ....

My Jb friend say don't even carry a bag when walking around... She just put her card/little cash in her pocket and walk around in Tshirt and shorts and flip flops.

TS has not log in since this thread posted,

looks like another case of post and forget.......

time to move on people......

No doubt TS is not caring, but I suppose it's benefiting the other members who are participating too, like me. I'm going to Thailand tomorrow! Chiangmai. Hope nothing happens, and I hope to get good pictures! See you guys soon!

daredevil123 said:
Seriously, tripods are really not on the menu of snatch thieves... Firstly, most of them do not understand the value of these, and secondly tripods are a lot harder to re-sell. Mobile phones and compact cameras are usually top on the wanted lists.

And tripods/monopods are better used as clubs, than spears. ;P

Unless it's another photographer and the brand imprinted is GITZO and not Nikon. :p

Ok :p I shall club the thief with my trident.

Let's see if this wisdom from boat owners help? "Buy the boat that you can afford to sink".

Of course I don't meant you take it literally for your camera. Let your camera work for you instead of slaving over it. Yes, it is expensive but what is the point of owning a camera and afraid to bring it with you for your passion? It would be analogy to marrying a beautiful wife and afraid to bring her out lest she get potong jalan by other men.

Just many have said, just be prudent and mindful when you are out shooting . . . anywhere and everywhere.