safe to leave converter + uv filter always on the camera?


Status
Not open for further replies.

deepblue2

New Member
Jul 18, 2003
109
0
0
41
Visit site
hi guys,

just wanna check something. i bought a konica minolta z2 and also bought the lens adapter + uv filter.

i don't intend to buy/use any other filters for now.

so my question is:
is it ok/safe to just leave the adapter + filter on the camera and not take it off at all. i'm afraid that constantly taking it off and putting it on will damage the thread on the camera.

but if i leave it on, i can't use the cover to protect the lens. currently i'm just placing a microfibre cloth over the uv lens whenever i place it back in the bag.

i've cleaned the inside of the adapter to the best of my ability. is it safe to say that there is little chance of any dust getting into the adapter thus protecting my camera's lens?

sorry for the many questions. appreciate any help.. :)
 

mr_jason

Senior Member
Jul 22, 2003
1,084
0
36
Singapore
www.pbase.com
deepblue2 said:
is it ok/safe to just leave the adapter + filter on the camera and not take it off at all. i'm afraid that constantly taking it off and putting it on will damage the thread on the camera.

but if i leave it on, i can't use the cover to protect the lens. currently i'm just placing a microfibre cloth over the uv lens whenever i place it back in the bag.
It's safe to just leave the adaptor and filter on, no problem.

Don't put the microfibre cloth over the lens. This will still not be safe enough to prevent cracking when pressure is applied onto the glass. Go and buy a generic lens cap which will fit the UV-Filter thread side, whether it be 52mm, 58mm, etc etc... Few dollars only.
 

nickpower

New Member
Feb 1, 2004
314
0
0
36
Jurong West
ya its safe to leave ur UV filter on the lens... almost everyone does that.. it act as a protection. U can use the lens cap to cover ur lens even wif ur UV filter on.
So i suggest u remove ur lens adapter and put on onli when needed.... :)
 

deepblue2

New Member
Jul 18, 2003
109
0
0
41
Visit site
mr_jason said:
It's safe to just leave the adaptor and filter on, no problem.

Don't put the microfibre cloth over the lens. This will still not be safe enough to prevent cracking when pressure is applied onto the glass. Go and buy a generic lens cap which will fit the UV-Filter thread side, whether it be 52mm, 58mm, etc etc... Few dollars only.
oh.. so there are generic lens caps for the uv filter itself.. didn't know that..

yea.. i was afraid of the craking too.. but so far i've been very careful.. but i'll definitely go and buy one later..

so its ok to leave it on permanently attached to the camera?
 

deepblue2

New Member
Jul 18, 2003
109
0
0
41
Visit site
nickpower said:
ya its safe to leave ur UV filter on the lens... almost everyone does that.. it act as a protection. U can use the lens cap to cover ur lens even wif ur UV filter on.
So i suggest u remove ur lens adapter and put on onli when needed.... :)

i'm a little confused.. wht u are trying to say is
- leave the uv lens on the adapter permanently
- BUT, remove the adapter from the camera when not in use

am i correct?

but i'm afraid that the constant attaching/detaching the adapter from the camera will wear out the thread on the camera.

is it ok for me to leave the adapter permanently on the camera since i will not be changing adapters?

thanks.
 

patch17

New Member
Jun 30, 2003
723
0
0
here and there
deepblue2 said:
oh.. so there are generic lens caps for the uv filter itself.. didn't know that..

yea.. i was afraid of the craking too.. but so far i've been very careful.. but i'll definitely go and buy one later..

so its ok to leave it on permanently attached to the camera?
no problem to leave the filter permanently attached. i do this for all my lenses. it protects the front element from damage.

people always lose lens caps, so they're easily available in various sizes. :D
 

deepblue2

New Member
Jul 18, 2003
109
0
0
41
Visit site
patch17 said:
no problem to leave the filter permanently attached. i do this for all my lenses. it protects the front element from damage.

people always lose lens caps, so they're easily available in various sizes. :D
ok.. so i'm guess its more or less confirmed that i can leave the lens cap on.. no danger of moisture problems or anything of the sort?

btw, my camera case can just nicely fit the camera with the adapter + filter attached. so should not be a problem right?
 

mr_jason

Senior Member
Jul 22, 2003
1,084
0
36
Singapore
www.pbase.com
deepblue2 said:
ok.. so i'm guess its more or less confirmed that i can leave the lens cap on.. no danger of moisture problems or anything of the sort?

btw, my camera case can just nicely fit the camera with the adapter + filter attached. so should not be a problem right?
Yeah, no problem. If scared of moisture, just place camera in a dry box whenever it's not in use. This will 'dry out' all the moisture due to condensation or whatever reason.

Just remember to go get a lens cap to cover the UV-Filter.
 

deepblue2

New Member
Jul 18, 2003
109
0
0
41
Visit site
mr_jason said:
Yeah, no problem. If scared of moisture, just place camera in a dry box whenever it's not in use. This will 'dry out' all the moisture due to condensation or whatever reason.

Just remember to go get a lens cap to cover the UV-Filter.
thanks.. really appreciate the advice..

btw.. how do i clean the uv filter itself? coz the seller actually kinda gave it to me as a freebie.. so he passed me on that has been handled and has fingerprint marks on it..

can i wash it with water and soap then leave it to dry?
 

patch17

New Member
Jun 30, 2003
723
0
0
here and there
deepblue2 said:
thanks.. really appreciate the advice..

btw.. how do i clean the uv filter itself? coz the seller actually kinda gave it to me as a freebie.. so he passed me on that has been handled and has fingerprint marks on it..

can i wash it with water and soap then leave it to dry?
clean it like you would clean a lens.
 

mr_jason

Senior Member
Jul 22, 2003
1,084
0
36
Singapore
www.pbase.com
deepblue2 said:
thanks.. really appreciate the advice..

btw.. how do i clean the uv filter itself? coz the seller actually kinda gave it to me as a freebie.. so he passed me on that has been handled and has fingerprint marks on it..

can i wash it with water and soap then leave it to dry?
Er don't use soap.

Just use a microfibre cloth or lens tissue (not normal tissue) and rub like mad till everything is gone. Make sure they are clean and don't have dust on it, which may result in scratches. :D Bit of persistance should result in a clean filter.
 

deepblue2

New Member
Jul 18, 2003
109
0
0
41
Visit site
mr_jason said:
Er don't use soap.

Just use a microfibre cloth or lens tissue (not normal tissue) and rub like mad till everything is gone. Make sure they are clean and don't have dust on it, which may result in scratches. :D Bit of persistance should result in a clean filter.
ahh.. ok.. did tht.. but wasn't very satisfied with the results.. probably wasn't 'mad' enuff at that time.. :D

thanks.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.