safe to check in tripod to cargo hold of plane?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 17, 2005
Clementi
im gg to london tomorrow and i'm thinking of checking in my tripod to the cargo hold. is it a good idea? im using a slik 330DX and manfrotto 486rc2. not sure if it will get damaged. or maybe i should hand hold. :think: would like your advice and opinion. :)

kcuf2

Dec 29, 2005
KFC
is ur luggage big enuff? maybe u stuff it inside ur luggage?
handhold i dunno can or not leh... later they think u wanna assassinate somebody on board :D (i dunno)

zac08

Feb 21, 2005
East
Better check if you can check in as handheld (if you intend to do so) as there seems to be a limit in height for some airlines.

If tripod is not carbon fibre I would check in with bag that is come with padding.
For CF I will hand carry.

I alwasy handcarry regardless if you watch those carrier how they throw the luggage .....
scared.

Terence

Nov 16, 2003
I'm a Llama!
My CF pod lives in my suitcase most of the time... still in one piece after 300+ flights.

Jul 17, 2005
Clementi
tahnks all :)

Terence: Are you Terence Tay? the one with the Photo exhibition on now on Kolkata at Bras Basah? :thumbsup:

Deadpoet

Oct 18, 2004
you may not have a choice. lot's of airlines have banned items like tripods in the cabin. security concern.

Caspere

Jul 27, 2003
East Side
gallery.clubsnap.com
Just tie the tripod legs together.

1. Remove the tripod head and handcarry.
2. Cap the screw (that attaches the tripod-head on the tripod) with a nut.
3. Remove extra/additional screws that might come off.
4. Tag a FRAGILE label (available from the airline).

When the handler see the tripod, they handle it separately instead of throwing all those normal-looking luggages. If you use a normal looking bag and tried to pack in with clothing or newspapers, they don't know and don't care. A kind airport handler told me they do that (separate handling) for items like tripods/ surfboards/ golfbags etc.. (if they can see and know)

I use the a Bogen tripod that allows me to move the lever (for locking/unlocking) towards the inside of the tripod instead of jutting out like all the tripods. Makes it easier for me to stack bags and stuff on and around the tripod.

I use that aircon tubing insulation and covered all the legs so they don't stick to my hands during winter. I leave it on permanently. This also provide some cushion.

When I need it, it flies with me. 10 years already...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom