Safe to bring DSLR when overseas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best thing is not to put your cams into a camera bag. The reason sooner or later, people will realise that you are carrying a camera.

Like when I was on my 7 week vacation, I brought along a backpack and it was slung with the top of the bag facing front. Two reasons. The first being that it prevents people from stealing my stuff and second, a little easier to change lenses. The main reason nobody knows that you are carrying a camera equipment.

However, the drawback is that your stuff might get scratched. That is the only bad part.

I was shooting with my D2x and Hassy H1 in Hong Kong, London and Paris in early March. I never hide the brand and model but also never use Nikon original bright yellow strip. I notice some people can spot my new D2x but they are friendly and know camera. If not shooting, I always put my cameras inside the bag.

Common sense tells us that you should never let your eyes off your expensive equipment no matter where. Both in Singapore or elsewhere.

i120D said:
any idea how to conceal white 'L' lens?

....black spray paint ? :angel:

Thanx to everyone for sharing their experiences -- some good and some not so good. For a newbie like me, the following points are useful:
- gaffering
- buying insurance for the equipment

Of course common sense prevails regardless of where we are, but I was trying to find out from everyone's experience of the 'safety' level of various places & the precautions that are taken.

Thanx again for responding, it really helps :).

i120D said:
any idea how to conceal white 'L' lens?

Clip a jungle hat to your camera strap.It can help to break up the pattern on a tele zoom.

nyxx88 said:
Just want to know what is everyone's experience in bringing their DSLR's out when travelling abroad.

Are there places where we should avoid bringing DSLRs? Especially where they may attract unnecessary attention. I for one, would unlikely bring mine when I walk around in Jakarta streets.

Anyone with experiences/advice to share?

Depending which "sea" do you want to bring "over". ;p

Anyway for the case of Jakarta (and other similar cities), I will only feel safe taking out a DSLR when in high class hotel or shopping centre. Or else make it as low profile as possible. Just as others have mentioned, keep your "shiny" stuffs away when travelling and try to blend in with the local as far as possible. :)

Some might say DSLR is a common thing to have. IMO, that will depend on which part of the world, for developed countries like Singapore, US, EU states and etc where living standard is high, yes, I have to agree. But not at places where the cost of dSLR is 8 times or more the monthly salary of a fresh university graduate like Jakarta (assuming if he/she managed to find a job). Just imagine how many people will own dSLR in Singapore if it cost 16k SGD for a Canon 300D (cheapest that I can think of). :)

jamestan said:
Buy insurance.

I had my D100 attached to 80-200 f/2.8D STOLEN in Beijing!! Was in a bag and that m*****f***** still managed to (1) open the clasps (2) take the set and (3) close the clasps without me knowing!!! That was in Oct 2004.

Dec 2004, went to Myanmar. This time, smarter. Gaffered my cam and "sensitive" parts of the lens. Like gold letterings. Carry the bag in front. No trouble there.

That's the next thing to do besides taking care of the camera is to buy insurance. You may not recover the pictures which is priceless, but at least you can recover some monies.

Yappy 7 happy

hi. may i know which insurance scheme covers the lost of camera equipment??

thanx. ;)

meepokman said:
hi nyxx88,

I have never been to Jakarta, so I cant really say whats the street conditions are like there.

But whenever I go overseas, I would use black tape to cover up a few things:

(1) Camera brand
(2) Model number
(3) any gold letterings on my lens

Some of the locals' eyes will 'light' up the moment they see the brand or golden letterings (Nikon uses golden letterings on their lens).

Always have your camera bag with you. But thats not good enough (esp if you have alot of equipment). Always have it within your sight or touch. I usually have my bag either in between my legs, on my lap or my back. This so that you would know if someone try to pick-pocket or snatch your bag away.
*Treat your bag like a rifle :devil: *

DSLR in jakarta..? a camera is just a camera, which layman know what is the different between DSLR and SLR...or a SLR and Point and shoot camera?

cover here cover there, a camera still look like a camera...a black box with a protruding lens...and by default cameras are all expensive stuff.

so scare of losing, stay at home lahhh ...;pp

For info on insurance scheme, try these links
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=70571

Read the fineprint that the value of your cam will drop every month so take this into consideration when u're deciding the insurance period.

But if you're overseas, I think most travel insurance will cover that (up to a certain value ;p )

Can anyone advise whether Paris is safe?

blimmer said:

I was in Paris early March. Came back in one piece and nothing lost.

More than 10 years ago when I had a short course in France, I went to Paris every Sunday and stay very late to take the last train back to school. I felt the place is as save as Singapore. Few year ago when I went back I felt the same. This year, someone warned me that Paris is not like the past. You have to be careful. I took a bit of care to keep my gears with me all the time. I went to the red light district at night and took pictures. People are good and did not have any unhappy incidence. May be I'm lucky.

As I always believe that common sense and a bit of care (may be a bit of luck also) will bring us as far as we can go.

Hope you have a nice trip in Paris.

Western Europe is generally safe, with the exception of places frequented by the gypses. Eastern Europe is not so safe, with pick poctets etc being quite common. The US and Canada is similar to Western Europe, except in inner cities, so is Australia. As for the rest of the world, Japan I feel safe, so does HK. The rest, be more careful. However, I always put my photo gear in a non-photo equip type bag, usually another back pack. It's a bad idea to advertise "photo equip here" with a Domke or Lowepro ... just common sense.

blimmer said:

Being there several times, Paris is extremely safe... i could say as safe as singapore.

interesting thread. dunno about you guys but if i am travelling in a group (maybe 3 or more), i wont have a feeling of being not-safe regardless of what equipment i am using. what do you think?

buddy said:
interesting thread. dunno about you guys but if i am travelling in a group (maybe 3 or more), i wont have a feeling of being not-safe regardless of what equipment i am using. what do you think?
Not when I was in Rio or Venezuela ... that is why P&S still is important ... Europe, even Eastern Europe, I feel safe, just that you have to be careful of pick pockets and alike. But in Rio and Venezuela, it's not just the thiefs, but the violence that comes with the robbery ...

avoid using vertical grip. the bigger the camera, the more eye catchy it'll be.

by the way, how much is it for the insurance for camera equipments for 3 weeks?

Daniel Nielson said:
Depending which "sea" do you want to bring "over". ;p

Anyway for the case of Jakarta (and other similar cities), I will only feel safe taking out a DSLR when in high class hotel or shopping centre. Or else make it as low profile as possible. Just as others have mentioned, keep your "shiny" stuffs away when travelling and try to blend in with the local as far as possible. :)

Some might say DSLR is a common thing to have. IMO, that will depend on which part of the world, for developed countries like Singapore, US, EU states and etc where living standard is high, yes, I have to agree. But not at places where the cost of dSLR is 8 times or more the monthly salary of a fresh university graduate like Jakarta (assuming if he/she managed to find a job). Just imagine how many people will own dSLR in Singapore if it cost 16k SGD for a Canon 300D (cheapest that I can think of). :)

well, so far in Jakarta I 've never heard someone lost a DSLR camera at gun point (or knife point), almost all of them are theft... stolen when the camera was left in the car .. houses broken...pickpocket .. :dunno:

In JKT, it really depends a lot on where you go.

A friend of mine lost his handphone (which is smaller than a DSLR) at knife point when he was using an overhead bridge to go to the Taman Anggerik Mall, which is already one of the more up-market places in JKT.

Of course, avoid public buses & trains. They are notorious.

When I started this thread, I was using JKT as an example as I was there for a short period of time. And I was trying to find out about other parts of the world. I must say that the various posts here have been helpful. Keep 'em coming! :thumbsup:

CIO said:
I was in Paris early March. Came back in one piece and nothing lost.

More than 10 years ago when I had a short course in France, I went to Paris every Sunday and stay very late to take the last train back to school. I felt the place is as save as Singapore. Few year ago when I went back I felt the same. This year, someone warned me that Paris is not like the past. You have to be careful. I took a bit of care to keep my gears with me all the time. I went to the red light district at night and took pictures. People are good and did not have any unhappy incidence. May be I'm lucky.

As I always believe that common sense and a bit of care (may be a bit of luck also) will bring us as far as we can go.

Hope you have a nice trip in Paris.

kitkat said:
Being there several times, Paris is extremely safe... i could say as safe as singapore.

Thanks for the reassurance. I've never been to Paris so I get a bit panicky traveling with my sister and camera in toll.
Common sense certainly prevails. From what I've read here and elsewhere, its best to keep to the main traffic and avoid side lanes. Gaffering the cam helps? Basically keep as low a profile as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.