Safe to bring DSLR to France during winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

modenaslim

Mar 2, 2003
Yishun Broadway KopiDiam
Visit site
One fren told me her Fuji S602z get sick after came back from Korea not long ago. Ask me not to bring my 10D if i'm going overseas during winter period. Dunno how to check the recommended operating temperature for digital camera so post here to ask...

My fren said I'll definately regret if i dun carry my DSLR there... But I'm a bit worry the camera will go crazy if i bring to France in January... The coldest is -3 deg celsius i think...

Anyone here has similiar experience???

haha reallly?
woud like more details
I think the biggest fear is condensation
cameras esp digtal ones aint going to react well to fast changing temperatures
cos it causes condensation which is water.. which is BAD for any electronics
as long as you let the camera 'acclimatize ' to the temp condensation will be minimal lah

here's more detailed info
http://www.idfishnhunt.com/fstops10.htm
http://www.photo-seminars.com/Seminars/Winter/winter.htm

modenaslim said:
Dunno how to check the recommended operating temperature for digital camera

If you read through the camera's manual, you will most likely find a section called "specifications". In this section, in turn, you will most likely find entries for "operating temperature range" and "operating humidity range".

The two websites quoted are pretty comprehensive. Follow their advice and you'll be fine. No point getting a great cam if you can't bring it with you on your travels right? So just keep it warm, and minimise exposure to the elements. Don't sling it round your neck and walk around while the electronics and batteries freeze.

Brought my camera to cold climates without any issue.

I heard some CF cards don't work very well under -3 degrees. May want to consider getting the SanDisk Extreme CF

get a neoprene wrap for the camera, throw in a heat pack and u're ready to go.

My D70 survived > -5 in NY b4......I am going to test it again next mth :D Just make sure you wrap it well when not in use :thumbsup:

I have a billingham hadley pro bag. Is it enough to put it into the camera bag (and close it tightly) b4 entering the warm building or must I put it into a ziplock bag?

My cam survived the snow, the sub zero weather and the rain :bsmilie:

Don't worry too much la. Won't spoil one... think on the bright side, if it spoils, at least you can have an excuse to buy a new one!! :thumbsup:

modenaslim said:
One fren told me her Fuji S602z get sick after came back from Korea not long ago. Ask me not to bring my 10D if i'm going overseas during winter period. Dunno how to check the recommended operating temperature for digital camera so post here to ask...

My fren said I'll definately regret if i dun carry my DSLR there... But I'm a bit worry the camera will go crazy if i bring to France in January... The coldest is -3 deg celsius i think...

Wonder what's Fuji's sales in Korea and Canon's sales in France. To be more comprehensive, let's include northern China Japan (similar weather with Korea) and all of Northern and Central Europe (similar weather with France).

Or perhaps, neither Korean nor French use digial cameras.

Your camera is a tool for you to take photographs. What good is it if you only leave it in hot and humid Singapore, when you are in France?

Clown said:
get a neoprene wrap for the camera, throw in a heat pack and u're ready to go.
No, no, no!!! Please don't heat up the camera/lens. Same thing will happen as a cold camera/lens in a warm enviroment. The camera will operate in the cold weather, just that battery life will be shorter. Transferring the camera in and out of a warm and cold enviroment is asking for trouble. The least being guarnateed condensation.

1D survived -25 degrees C when I mounted it on a tripod to shoot auroras. No problem. Keep your batteries warm.

Cheers!:)

Someone advised me lastime... before and after use, ziploc camera and lens and squeeze out all the air. So the condensation will be on outside of ziploc bag.

modenaslim said:

-3degC is nothing lah.. dun worry so much... just shoot and have fun. You might fine the LCD abit sluggish and your batteries going dead sooner than expected... Just keep the camera warm (under ur jacket) and watch out for condensation which will give ur pix a diffuser filter effect.. haha.

Juz came back from HuangShan. My 300D survived -5deg and snow. Only the lens AF froze halfway and had to keep it warm under my jacket b4 it works again. Prob can get those thermal raincoat. Think it keeps camera from freezing?

:)

you shouldnt have any problems whatsoever. think about how many shots you've seen that have been taken in cold countries. how about all the snowboarding and skiing shots that you see? if you dont use your camera to its full potential than it's a white elephant.

singapore's actually one of the worst places for cameras because of the humidity

and clown, what are you thinking!! lol you need more sleep man

Dun worry about cold climates lah..... only problem you will face is that you will notice that the battery drains faster than normal... Other that that condensation and such problems are really not a big issue.... try drinking ice water and see if water condensation outside your cup. you will be surprised that it is almost impossible to find dry box and large bottles of silica gel like those we found in sg. Remember... a large number of photographers shoot in extreme conditions. and they do not change a new camera after each shoot. Anyways, back to your friend who have a damaged camera after shooting in cold climate.... I only have 1 thing to say..... when **** happens, people tend to speculate and find reasons on why **** happens. unfortunately none of these theory can ever be proven right or wrong.

i intend to bring all my batteries for nikon D50 for korea, 2x original, 3x OEM as backup. is that an overkill or acceptable in case the battery die in the cold?

besides the battery dun really drained off rite, but merely fail to function? i had experience with a lithion bat with a compact. 2 bat died in -5C, but resume function when i descend to +15C.

Shalln't go into the "my weather is colder then yours" competition. Having said that, don't worry about it. I bring my camera out in the winter everyday.

Your battery would run out of juice faster, but that is about it.

LittleWolf said:
If you read through the camera's manual, you will most likely find a section called "specifications". In this section, in turn, you will most likely find entries for "operating temperature range" and "operating humidity range".

Got it!!
0-40 deg celcius.. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.