Sadness in Ubin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silence Sky

Deregistered
Sep 5, 2006
Modern Comfort and Comfort of Nature can never co-exist.
Any attempt to redevelop Pulau Ubin will destroy its serenity forever.
I see the sadness and helplessness in the eyes of an old guard of Pulau Ubin.
CnC welcomed.

Sadness_in_Ubin.jpg

Modern Comfort and Comfort of Nature can never co-exist.
Any attempt to redevelop Pulau Ubin will destroy its serenity forever.
I see the sadness and helplessness in the eyes of an old guard of Pulau Ubin.
CnC welcomed.

i don't quite get the part about 'Modern Comfort and Comfort of Nature'

when dealing with an environment like that of Pulau Ubin, it's not a problem with redevelopment, it's how the redevelopment is carried out that is problematic. with more people going to Pulau Ubin to spend their holidays and weekends, redevelopment is inevitable.

you have to rethink your view about whether Pulau Ubin should remain the way it is decades back and check if there are signs of over-romanticisation.

Not sure if it's my screen (not calibrated) but the B/W looks flat. The Tiger beer doesn't fit into the picture :what:

i think that is the oldest uncle on P.Ubin now.
He used to ride a old "Lao K" bike to his plantation or orchard in the earlier days but since the LTA went to ubin, he was not allowed to ride anymore cos he did not have a license.
Nowadays he jus sits outside his provision shop which is next to a new seafood place.
Very nice uncle if u can speak dialect

i think that is the oldest uncle on P.Ubin now.
He used to ride a old "Lao K" bike to his plantation or orchard in the earlier days but since the LTA went to ubin, he was not allowed to ride anymore cos he did not have a license.
Nowadays he jus sits outside his provision shop which is next to a new seafood place.
Very nice uncle if u can speak dialect

Thanks Gangeslim for sharing the info.
I saw an uncle driving a blue Toyota, ferrying people around the island. He is also very old, did not manage to shoot a picture of him sticking his head of the Toyota checking the crossing at the flood gate.
Yes, I took the picture exactly at where you described him to be.
When I took this picture, he is staring at this motorcycle right across his shop.
Is this the “Lao K” you have mentioned?

Motorcycle.jpg

Thanks Gangeslim for sharing the info.
I saw an uncle driving a blue Toyota, ferrying people around the island. He is also very old, did not manage to shoot a picture of him sticking his head of the Toyota checking the crossing at the flood gate.
Yes, I took the picture exactly at where you described him to be.
When I took this picture, he is staring at this motorcycle right across his shop.
Is this the “Lao K” you have mentioned?

Motorcycle.jpg

That's a Honda Cub... Lao K is a affectionate term for Yamaha RX-K

i don't quite get the part about 'Modern Comfort and Comfort of Nature'

when dealing with an environment like that of Pulau Ubin, it's not a problem with redevelopment, it's how the redevelopment is carried out that is problematic. with more people going to Pulau Ubin to spend their holidays and weekends, redevelopment is inevitable.

you have to rethink your view about whether Pulau Ubin should remain the way it is decades back and check if there are signs of over-romanticisation.

Hello Eikin;

When it comes to conservation, it is very simple to me.
Let only time and natural elements shape Ubin landscape.
When I was a boy, I cycled along the unbeaten track to reach the Thai Temple. It has always gives me the feeling of “The Lost Temple” plus the wilderness. Today, I return as a man to revive my childhood memory. A well constructed metal road leads me to the temple. It is no longer the same, the tar road made it very easy and comfortable to get there, and the journey has loss it uniqueness.
Any attempts by human to develop the island, will destroy its distinctiveness.

I do not want to see Air Conditioned resorts.
I do not want to see Air Conditioned Coffee Bean café on the Island.
I do not want to see man made pavement.
I do not want to see the making of another Sentosa.

When I step onto the Island, I want the shops, sign boards and people to give me the nostalgia feelings of the 60’s.
I want Pulua Ubin to be as it is for many many decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.