Sabah Trip in May Mt.KK- seeking advices...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLQ

Jan 31, 2005
Tampines & Sydney
Hi all,
Writing to seek advices for my coming Sabah mountain trip in May.
I am thinking if it is advisable to lurk my 20D and lens all the way up the mountian, any of you have done that before? Is it too big a chore? Coz i heard some parts of the mt. we would have to use rope to help us up and so on...
I am actually thinking of just bringing up my compact panasonic LC5 for the mountain but i know that i will be limited by it for the trip...
Any advice? And the temp up on the mt is quite cold, how to maintain the camera up there?
Please help me.
Thanks all...
Cheers-

It is not a problem bringing the dslr up the mountain. The climb is relatively easy but a certain level of fitness is still required if you want to enjoy the climb. Very little risks or dangers involved if you just watched your steps. Just bring along the $3 SAF poncho if you want to and this trusty old gear is enough to cover yourself and the camera. I brought along a film SLR the other time. Attach a standard zoom lens instead of telephoto lens for easy handling though. Good Luck!

Yezrah said:
It is not a problem bringing the dslr up the mountain. The climb is relatively easy but a certain level of fitness is still required if you want to enjoy the climb. Very little risks or dangers involved if you just watched your steps. Just bring along the $3 SAF poncho if you want to and this trusty old gear is enough to cover yourself and the camera. I brought along a film SLR the other time. Attach a standard zoom lens instead of telephoto lens for easy handling though. Good Luck!
Hi Yezrah,
thanks for the info mate :) i know a certain level of fitness is needed, have been excersing, climbing bukit timah hill etc hope is ebough.
What i am worried is about the vertical climb at the last part with the ropes... will my camera equipments be too hard to carry there? also with the water needed to carry along, i think my bag will be real heavy... well maybe i should just bring one lens... how much water you carried along? Another friend here in CS told me that i would have to have abt 2-3 litres of water ready, will that be enough? c
thanks again

Lets put it this way, if you are very fit. Go ahead with your idea. Very heavy bag with photog equip + water + ... How heavy is it going to be? Do you plan to change lenses when you are up there? Somethings to consider....

Always good to bring different lenses but are you going to use everything? Some things for you think about.....

IMHO just a standard zoom lens + slr body is good enuf

Come on, it's 2 kg max for the body + lens if you leave behind the tripod, flash, battery grip, notebook/charger, etc. Do some exercise, lose 1-2 kg before May, I don't see why it should be a problem.

Wai Leong
===
CLQ said:
Hi all,
Writing to seek advices for my coming Sabah mountain trip in May.
I am thinking if it is advisable to lurk my 20D and lens all the way up the mountian, any of you have done that before? Is it too big a chore? Coz i heard some parts of the mt. we would have to use rope to help us up and so on...
I am actually thinking of just bringing up my compact panasonic LC5 for the mountain but i know that i will be limited by it for the trip...
Any advice? And the temp up on the mt is quite cold, how to maintain the camera up there?
Please help me.
Thanks all...
Cheers-

waileong said:
Come on, it's 2 kg max for the body + lens if you leave behind the tripod, flash, battery grip, notebook/charger, etc. Do some exercise, lose 1-2 kg before May, I don't see why it should be a problem.

Wai Leong
===
Tze-Ming said:
Lets put it this way, if you are very fit. Go ahead with your idea. Very heavy bag with photog equip + water + ... How heavy is it going to be? Do you plan to change lenses when you are up there? Somethings to consider....

Always good to bring different lenses but are you going to use everything? Some things for you think about.....

IMHO just a standard zoom lens + slr body is good enuf
Hi Tze Ming, Wai Leong,
Thanks for the replies. i have been thinking,if i bring my DSLR, i will only bring the 17-40L (for wide angle) and 50mm F1.8 (very light anyway and for low light situations).
Not only i must consider water, i must also bring along some clothings for the low temp up there (i heard can drop to almost 0C) also some food rations, tourch light etc...
Actually if i lose another 1 or 2 kg i think i will be soon underweight :) haha. have to go train up my stamina man, i was struggling even for Bukit Timah hill :bsmilie:

CLQ said:
Hi Yezrah,
thanks for the info mate :) i know a certain level of fitness is needed, have been excersing, climbing bukit timah hill etc hope is ebough.
What i am worried is about the vertical climb at the last part with the ropes... will my camera equipments be too hard to carry there? also with the water needed to carry along, i think my bag will be real heavy... well maybe i should just bring one lens... how much water you carried along? Another friend here in CS told me that i would have to have abt 2-3 litres of water ready, will that be enough? c
thanks again

The vertical climb won't be too hard. If the mountain guides can walk up that stretch without ropes, it shouldn't be a problem. The rest of us hold on to the ropes simply because we are afraid or unfamiliar with the terrain. 2-3 litres would be enough depending on how fast you drink. FYI, I didn't train climbing any hills and just jog a few rounds around my neighbourhood. Ha ha......everybody doing the climb might experience slight to moderate altitude sickness.

Status
Not open for further replies.