S95 or LX-5 based on my needs?

beny77

Sep 23, 2010
Eastside
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of buying a new PnS for the following purposes (ranked in terms of priority):
1. Travelling (Safe to say that I'll probably end up taking more outdoor shots than indoor shots)
For outdoor shots, probably a mix of day and nite (long exp) shots
2. For indoor shots, it's when I'm out chilling with friends in some nice restaurants
3. Close ups
4. Portraits
5. Action (Occassional/seldom)
6. Deleted from list.

Though 2,3,4 are very very close in terms of priority.

I have read the threads on both S95 and LX5 but I'm still not able to come to any conclusion as which to get for my needs. (I'm ok with the slight price differences between both)

I've also been looking at the technical specs on their respective website but the differences are not obvious from my point of view.

Hopefully, some experienced users here can point out the subtle differences (pros and cons) of each, especially in terms of actual usage in reality according to the specs and help in my decision making.

Will need to get either 1 as I'm flying off for a NZ holiday (This coming sunday).

And no....please do not suggest to me to purchase a DSLR.

Thank you everyone.

Ben :)

Last edited:
I’m a new LX5 user as well, 2 days old, and was in the same boat as you.

I hope to share my experience and why I chose the Panny without getting too technical or comparing pixels as there are many comments on that already.

I’m a casual user who’s been using a Ixus P&S for the past 7yrs and its been through many trips with me... rough seas, sand, cold, heat etc. But its age has been showing where focus is becoming a problem, night/low-light shots are absolutely rubbish, compared to current technology, and no Aperture/Shutter control which I felt I needed. (I had a SLR more than 10yrs ago but it was heavy and films and developing them were an expensive hobby).

DSLRs and M4/3 were also not an option for me as I hate carrying extra stuff and anything with more than 1 lens is extra. “Pocket-able” is subject to individual opinion as although my old Ixus was small, I never really put it in my pocket anyway, either round my wrist or dumped in my wife’s bag.

The things I look for was that I had to feel comfortable with it and specifications wise, could do the most, even though I may not actually use it, I knew it was there. Since the target market is similar, I expect the S95, EX1 and LX5 to take similar quality of pictures albeit minor differences, eg, some say, S95 – better low light/high ISO, EX1 – F1.8 lens, etc .

The LX5 is definitely not the cheapest P&S but I decided to go for it because the features are the best, knowing fully some of its shortcomings you can find in many review sites. But most importantly was comfortable and felt good to hold, the S95 was nice but too “smooth”, EX1 more weighty, and what’s more is that the white version LX5 is a really looker.

I hope this helps you make your mind up, or I may have confused you even more ;) Ultimately, do not expect the world from these small cameras but rather something you like and can live with. Especially if you are a causal user....

Thanks just-i for sharing your thought process.

Can I know where did you get yours from and what is included? eg SD card etc.
Also price?

PM me.

Thanks a lot.

If you intend to dive with it, Canon underwater casing is quite easy to find (provided you don't wait until the camera is out of production) and affordable ($300+).
Far as I know, Pana don't make underwater casing and 3rd party ones very ex.

from a quick glance at your 2 alternatives, they are targeted at the same segment of the market.

so what varies will be handling, image quality, branding, and accessories from the brand itself.

for that, it's hard to advise what your exact needs are, because personally only IQ is clearcut (but close), branding and handling are subjective.. so perhaps you should look at the accessories available according to your needs. if diving is very important, then perhaps you can follow relakbro's advice (assuming it's true, because i am not up to date on such matters).

Hi relacbro and nightmare,

I think I wrote something wrong.

From my first post, pt6) Underwater.....I do not intend to dive...but rather snorkel....BUT a very big BUT if a chance happens in future.
I've not had the opportunity to do it for the longest of time. So, I'd rather take that out from my consideration as it's really at the bottom of my priority list.

Also price?

PM me.

Thanks a lot.

Should be around $650-699 if I'm not wrong. There are other alternatives like S95, EX1, G12, Nikon P7000 and older but still good models LX3, S90 and G11.

Anyway, Fujifilm has announced a very promising camera X100. You may wait for this one. :thumbsup:

Info: http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10091910fujifilmx100.asp

X100-001.jpg

Hi kentwong,

I cannot wait as I'm flying off this weekend to NZ for a holiday. So, need to settle my camera by tmr latest.

Thanks.

Ben:)

Hi kentwong,

I cannot wait as I'm flying off this weekend to NZ for a holiday. So, need to settle my camera by tmr latest.

Thanks.

Ben:)

Okay, if want to choose between S95 and LX5, I would go for LX5, can't be wrong.

I was going thru the same dilemma a few days ago before I took the plunge and went for the LX5. Base on my research on both models and catering to your needs, here's my humble opinion:

1. Travelling (Safe to say that I'll probably end up taking more outdoor shots than indoor shots)
My vote goes to S95. In terms of "pocket" friendly, the S95 definitely fits better in the pocket. If you wear cargo pants or something along tat line, the LX5 can fit too. But putting cameras into your pants pocket is not really recommended. When I walk around the streets with my LX5 in my pocket, due to the prespiration, my LX5 gets condensation. Water and lens elements doesn't really make good friends. Since I realised this, my LX5 always goes back to the case where it should belong.

For outdoor shots, probably a mix of day and nite (long exp) shots
My vote goes to LX5 considering that you wanna do LONG EXP shots. The S95 limits the exposure to 15secs, while the LX5 gives you the option to go 15, 30, 60secs. The 'drama mama' for a 30 n 60sec exposure is real 'drama mama'. For outdoor day shots, both cameras will do a very decent job.

2. For indoor shots, it's when I'm out chilling with friends in some nice restaurants
My vote goes to LX5 again for this coz I am giving credits to the wider 24mm lens instead of the 28mm spotted on the S95. Also, the leica lens on the LX5 is exceptionally sharp given tat it's a PnS camera (i duno how sharp the S95 is coz i donch own 1). Indoor environment; the wider the lens..the more options you will get to frame a picture. ISO capability for both cameras are pretty much the same but most will tell you S95 renders more detail at ISO 800/1600. This point I wouldn't discredit LX5 coz the LX5 problem is the NR algorithm that panasonic has built into the camera. Meaning to say...shoot RAW on the LX5 and you can get back the details you want.

3. Close ups
If you are refering to macro shooting, my vote goes to LX5 again. The S95 min focus distance is 5cm on the wide end, while the LX5 is 1cm.

4. Portraits
I am 50-50 for this. Portraits; normally you wanna isolate the subject from the background. The S95 gives you a 105mm longer zoom which allows better background blur but the aperature drops to F4.9. For the LX5, it only gives you 90mm on the zoom but the aperature drops to F3.3 only. So I duno wat the resultant effect will the individual camera give u. For me, i own a DSLR with 200mm F2.8 lens, so if I really wanna do portraits on a serious basis, i whip out my DSLR at the expense of portablity.

5. Action (Occassional/seldom)
Action...my vote goes to LX5. The leica simply focuses faster than the S95 and BY A LOT I feel. Tested the focusing speed on both cameras before my purchase and LX5 whips the canon down the drain in terms of focusing. Also, the LX5 gives you better frame rate than the S95; meaning higher chances of getting good shots.

6. Underwater (in future)
S95 will have the honour for this. LX5 you prob wouldn't get an underwater casing from panasonic...S95 already has one.

The above opinions seem that i am biase towards LX5. Truth is I donch think I am coz I am a canon person to be honest. My dry cabinet has nothing except canon products (DSLR and stuff) until this LX5 came out. S95 major winning points are portablity and weight.

Since you mention about your upcoming NZD trip, you will need the widest lens you can buy. When i was in NZD a few yrs back, most of the pics i came back with were landscape scenes. So the wider you have...the happier you will be.

Just 2 other side notes that i actually considered:
1. if you go ahead with the S95, next yr prob S100 or something will come out with enabled video zoom function. That will make your S95 less worthy in terms of market price and tat makes me upset as a consumer. And yah...the S95 does NOT autofocus and does NOT allow optical zoom when you start your video recording. LX5 does. Period.

2. if you recently read about the LEICA D-LUX 5 SUPER PREMIUM camera, you will realise that it's 95% the same as an LX5. In consumer terms, tat makes me a LEICA-wannabee-happy-person. The LEICA D-LUX 5, for the leica batch, you pay prob 200-300pounds more. here's the link for the LEICA D-LUX 5.

i really hestitate to push forward a choice. personally i would go for the lx-5, but i want to make it clear that different people have different likings, and the reasons why i like the lx-5 can be quite subjective.

both are able cameras, you just have to decide for yourself, that's all i'm saying. :)

if for my own use.. i go for LX5..
but if for family use, i go for S95, due to its size and weight..

Should be around $650-699 if I'm not wrong. There are other alternatives like S95, EX1, G12, Nikon P7000 and older but still good models LX3, S90 and G11.

Anyway, Fujifilm has announced a very promising camera X100. You may wait for this one. :thumbsup:

Info: http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10091910fujifilmx100.asp

X100-001.jpg

USD$1000 dollars for this Fujifilm cam...
http://asia.cnet.com/crave/2010/09/22/fujifilm-x100-price-announced/

Woot~!

I got the S95 recently. Reason being I wanted a Canon. :bsmilie:

Read reviews on S90 and saw the night shots which impresses me.
With S95 able record HD movies, makes me wanna get it even more.

Of cos, LX-3 was used to compared with S90 and now LX-5.
LX-5 in terms of specs may be better, but also slightly bigger.

You need to consider what Yangbeng wrote.
Nice write.

But still, I prefer Canon slim design.
Long exposure shoot needs a tripod i suppose. (I'm a noob to photography)
I do not need a 1cm macro shot.

Only thing i dont like about S95 is the Flash which pops up suddenly when flash is required (Auto mode)

In fact, most of my shots, i switch off the flash and still able to capture nicely.

This is just my noob point of view.
If you are into photography, get the LX-5
Casual shooter, S95? Of cos, casual shooter also can choose LX-5.

2. if you recently read about the LEICA D-LUX 5 SUPER PREMIUM camera, you will realise that it's 95% the same as an LX5. In consumer terms, tat makes me a LEICA-wannabee-happy-person. The LEICA D-LUX 5, for the leica batch, you pay prob 200-300pounds more. here's the link for the LEICA D-LUX 5.

Leica D-LUX and LX series are practically the same camera. Just that one has a red dot and the other does not. They are both made on the same production lines in Panasonic's factory.

And oh, I know so many Leica fans are so going to flame me now... LOL.

I would go for the LX5. Like yangbeng earlier, I am a Canon person and my dry cabinets are chock-a-block with canon stuff (from film cameras like the super old Canonflex to the AE1 to the digitals Canon G1 to 5D).

The reason is not so much about the S95 but rather that I have owned a LX2 (not even a 3!) for about 3+ years. Without exaggeration, it is the best PnS camera that I have ever owned. It is the only non-Canon digital that I own and recently I was again reminded about how good this little camera was. I went to Rumania for a work related trip and as usual took extended vacation in Vienna and Croatia. Work being the priority at the first instance, I left the DSLR at home and brought along the handy LX2. The photos were outstanding - I am thoroughly convinced that the LX is the PnS for travel as it delivers near DSLR quality if correctly used.

You will have no regrets with the LX; for me, I have checked out the LX5 and will be buying it tomorrow (white, for a change).

Have fun in NZ.

Cheers

Also price?

PM me.

Thanks a lot.

PM-ed you.

In fact I think our needs are very similar, so I just bought a DiCAPac underwater pouch for $59 at Hougang today. More information at http://www.gmmtechnoworld.com/servlet/StoreFront just give the handphone number a call to see if he's at the shophouse.

It's fiddly to change settings and to zoom, but I think it'll serve my purpose for now, a bit of snorkelling, jetskiing, beach and pool. Its the 570 model which is actually shorter for the LX5's lens at max zoom, but since its quite a hassle, I dont think I'll be zooming anyway.

Will be leaving for Koh Samui tmr night, so will update when I get back.

Last edited:
Sorry, to correct something ... the LX5 goes from 0.01mm onwards for close-ups. :cool:

Here's a shot of a small saucer of chilli in subdued daylight. I'll fess up, I actually touched the lens several times and smeared some soy sauce while doing this series of shots. :sweatsm:

4953795711_d67f47a0c2_b.jpg

and here's the small saucer of chilli which this came from:

4953797527_e6e2e635d9_o.jpg

Err ... note that the soy sauce causes some diffraction. :bsmilie:

Sorry, to correct something ... the LX5 goes from 0.01mm onwards for close-ups. :cool:

care to share how you managed to get the LX5 to focus at 0.01mm to the subject? does manual focusing allow users to go beyond the 1cm ability of the LX5? my understanding after reading the manuals and DPreview is dat; the minimum focusing distance is 1cm on the wide end and 30cm on the tele end. :think:

Last edited:
You can't go wrong with either camera. Just go to the shop try both and see which one you like better. Quite easy.