S90 VS Ixus 130

pixie

May 3, 2008
I cant help but include Ixus 130 into my PNS consideration list as the curvatures of the camera leave one to wonder.

At the retail price of $499 it does not come cheap as well. I have not tried the camera nor seen any photos but based on the specification in comparison with S90, it seems to do better in some aspects, which I particularly like the Shooting modes:
130: Auto, P, Portrait, Night Snapshot, Kids & Pets, Indoor, Smart Shutter, Low Light, Color Accent, Color Swap, Fish-eye effect, Miniature effect, Beach, Underwater, Foliage, Snow, Fireworks, Long Shutter, Stitch Assist, Movie

S90C, M, Av, Tv, P, Auto, Low Light, SCN, Movie

I dont think I will have the time for Manual focus given that pns is more for spontaneous shots, what are the cons getting 130 over S90 should anyone shed some light on?

I have considered LX3 and Fujifilm F200EXR, but still feel S90 is better over the two. Then, this came along =)

TIA!

as long as it's not a Fuji. I can't stand the way the Fuji processor smears.

S90 still better in term of sensor size. 10MP in 1/1.7".
Ixus 130 14MP in 1/2.3" (smaller).
Bigger sensor, most likely better image.

hi pixie,

i am not sure what S90 have but you need to check it more under SCN mode.
i am sure it has similar scene mode that ixus 130, i mean like Portrait, Night Snapshot, Kids & Pets, Indoor, Smart Shutter, Low Light, Color Accent, Color Swap, Fish-eye effect, Miniature effect, Beach, Underwater, Foliage, Snow, Fireworks

if money allow you to buy S90, then choose S90 :)

Mazatello: U are a gem! Hmm, makes me more geared to Ixus 130!

Eworms: Hmm thanks! But if I am only viewing either via computer or developing a 4R will the difference be obvious?

Zapper10: Thanks! I will check under the S90 threads for these features, if any! Since I cant get fisheye or T-S lens, might as well make use of PnS features! =)

Thanks! yeap i seen from the S90 threads that it does not have the two key modes I was looking for: Fisheye and Minature. Since i couldnt afford a proper T-S lens, thought 130 could be a cheaper substitute for it... lol

hey im considering the ixus 130 because of the fisheye and the tilt lens (miniature) effect. But these are not optical though, so i'm hesitant... but then tilt lens and fisheye lens are just too ex. I wouldnt worry about the more megapixels cramming into the smaller sensor cos im intending to use this in good light only. I have dslr with better noise control for night shots... that said the $499 retail price is still high! i wonder if other shops will sell cheaper heh heh

S90 and 130 is total difference breed. S90 is selling it's IQ and manual control, while 130 is selling tilt shift and fish eye function. If you are looking for IQ, no doubt. S90 will be the one.

alexblessed, i am in the same situation as u too! am thinking of getting 130 for my gf..but the price is a bit steep. and most of the research is critisiing abt it's IQ. 500 is not cheap..am asking quote from parissilk and SLR revolution on latest pricing, but so far no response from them yet..

hey im considering the ixus 130 because of the fisheye and the tilt lens (miniature) effect. But these are not optical though, so i'm hesitant... but then tilt lens and fisheye lens are just too ex. I wouldnt worry about the more megapixels cramming into the smaller sensor cos im intending to use this in good light only. I have dslr with better noise control for night shots... that said the $499 retail price is still high! i wonder if other shops will sell cheaper heh heh

I agree! but i went to buy it at parisilk anyway. is at 438!

S90 and 130 is total difference breed. S90 is selling it's IQ and manual control, while 130 is selling tilt shift and fish eye function. If you are looking for IQ, no doubt. S90 will be the one.

alexblessed, i am in the same situation as u too! am thinking of getting 130 for my gf..but the price is a bit steep. and most of the research is critisiing abt it's IQ. 500 is not cheap..am asking quote from parissilk and SLR revolution on latest pricing, but so far no response from them yet..

I guess if u are getting for ur gf, she will love 130 more cos, apperance wise, itis better than S90. It is true that the price is quite high, but i think the t-s effect is really good!

4441081466_b7771b324e_m.jpg

woah looks good haha, how abt the fisheye, can show sample pic? I was testing it over the weekend but i suppose a camera shop is not exactly the best place to test fisheye (architecture with fisheye is imo match made in optical heaven) :)

woah looks good haha, how abt the fisheye, can show sample pic? I was testing it over the weekend but i suppose a c

amera shop is not exactly the best place to test fisheye (architecture with fisheye is imo match made in optical heaven) :)

this probably aint the best photo for fisheye.. but here it goes..

4437697699_6d2a7a8486_m.jpg

and the sepia mode.

Loving it!

woah looks good haha, how abt the fisheye, can show sample pic? I was testing it over the weekend but i suppose a c

amera shop is not exactly the best place to test fisheye (architecture with fisheye is imo match made in optical heaven) :)

this probably aint the best photo for fisheye.. but here it goes..

4437697699_6d2a7a8486_m.jpg

and the sepia mode.

4449432379_33fb9a56d0_m.jpg

Loving it!

thanks for sharing! am still pondering over fuji instax mini 7s and this cam..I already have a 500D and a pansonic PnS. Thus kind of hold back by the idea of getting an extra digit cam. But really sure is it practical to get a fuji instax mini as well..haha...so headache...
by the way, how is the low light and iso performance?

I agree! but i went to buy it at parisilk anyway. is at 438!

Hi Pixie,

May I know the price parisilk quoted is cash price or applicable to credit card payment as well?

thanks for sharing! am still pondering over fuji instax mini 7s and this cam..I already have a 500D and a pansonic PnS. Thus kind of hold back by the idea of getting an extra digit cam. But really sure is it practical to get a fuji instax mini as well..haha...so headache...
by the way, how is the low light and iso performance?

I haven tried it in super low light condition but so far is good.
Noise wise, is more apparent if u compare with dslr, but that is a given.

I am using more a web view, and print it as a 4R so I am not too concern on that.

this is really more a fun shot than an highres-compositionwell etc photographing. :bsmilie:

If ur pana is LX3, then dun buy. if it is not, ditch it and get this! hahaha.

Hi Pixie,

May I know the price parisilk quoted is cash price or applicable to credit card payment as well?

Cash =) is okie lar. cos the atm is just nearby for dbs. =)

oh...cause like to use credit card more..can earn points..haha..very auntie stun...
ya..agreed that shouldnt compare with DSLR. but still got some concern over the IQ. hope its not too bad.
I have a Panasonic FX55. Super under utilized as I've a 500D as well, and my gf doesnt like my panasonic cause she think it's too "fat"
well...prolly will go and test out at some store...just got quote from SLR revolution as well...very tempting to get one..haha