S602Z + Vivitar 285HV

Status
Not open for further replies.

ark19

Jan 17, 2002
SG
Hi all,
been trying to figure out the settings to use for the Vivitar 285HV, but there always seems to be a orange tint to the photos...

How do I adjust the WB to get the correct wb?

:dunno:

Use manual WB and use a white card or wall to customise it. Works ok after that. :)

use the custom white balance! mount the flash on the camera, switch over to one of the custome white balance and shoot at a piece of white paper, or white wall (or 18% gray card if you have one). This should set the proper white balance for the flash :)

Originally posted by azone
Use manual WB and use a white card or wall to customise it. Works ok after that. :)

Ahhhh.... Thanks Azone and Mpenza!
It's better now, but there's still a orange tint....

That means must bring white card out to field :eek:

haha...I had the same problem too, until mpenza and azone gave me the same good advice...:)

You don't have to bring a grey/white card out everytime...just make sure you make one good custom white balance, then keep it there and don't change it. Next time you need to use flash, just go back to that custom white balance.

Originally posted by Tweek
haha...I had the same problem too, until mpenza and azone gave me the same good advice...:)

You don't have to bring a grey/white card out everytime...just make sure you make one good custom white balance, then keep it there and don't change it. Next time you need to use flash, just go back to that custom white balance.

Good advice indeed! :D

But won't the ambient conditions affect the results? For example when taking flash photos under street lamps?

Maybe I should use a white card when taking IR photos? Currently I set the wb as and when I take them.... :dunno:

yup, just keep one permanent one that's properly done with the flash. The other custom white balance could be used for special effects when you need it (I use it to "white-balance" my IR photos) :)

Originally posted by ark19

Good advice indeed! :D

But won't the ambient conditions affect the results? For example when taking flash photos under street lamps?

Maybe I should use a white card when taking IR photos? Currently I set the wb as and when I take them.... :dunno:

if you are doing fill-flash, maybe it would...
but if you are doing pure flash photography, the temperature of your flash light will dominate, so using the previous custom WB will be good enough.

got to trial and error I guess....you trial and you error lah, then you tell me and I learn! hehe. :D

generally your flash would be much more powerful than the ambient light and would be the main determinant of the colors.

Originally posted by mpenza
yup, just keep one permanent one that's properly done with the flash. The other custom white balance could be used for special effects when you need it (I use it to "white-balance" my IR photos) :)

Hi Mpenza,
how would u "properly do" a good custom wb? :D

if you are doing fill-flash, maybe it would...
but if you are doing pure flash photography, the temperature of your flash light will dominate, so using the previous custom WB will be good enough.

got to trial and error I guess....you trial and you error lah, then you tell me and I learn! hehe. [/B]

Tweek, yah, we all learn tru error! :D I better go try try, or else my colleague's ROM I make mistake die die! ;p

thanks azone and mpenza for the info.
Is time for me to custom my white balance.

Hi Mpenza,

use a grey card (Kodak makes them!) or white card and fire your flash and do the custom WB. Then take several indoor flash shots, include white subjects like white walls. If the white turns out good, then voila! That should be a 'properly-done' custom WB. hehe.

Hi Mpenza,

I also trial and error lah ;p. I just try to fill the whole frame with a level white background and make sure the flash covers the whole area.... think this should do ok :)

use a grey card (Kodak makes them!) or white card and fire your flash and do the custom WB. Then take several indoor flash shots, include white subjects like white walls. If the white turns out good, then voila! That should be a 'properly-done' custom WB. hehe.

Originally posted by mpenza

I also trial and error lah ;p. I just try to fill the whole frame with a level white background and make sure the flash covers the whole area.... think this should do ok :)

Thanks Guys! Will do it tomorrow.... kept my "lao poh" in the dry cab liao... she needs her beauty sleep :D

I think its abt time that I take out the manual to learn more abt her... up till now, its trial and error (mostly error :D)..

Who else is going to the training session this Sunday?

Who else is going to the training session this Sunday?

not me. ;) Will rather spend the precious time shooting! hehe

btw mpenza, I'm thinking of using my 55-55mm adaptor instead, and use a 55-52mm stepdown ring for my old 52mm filters. Think it will vignette? Shouldn't right....

reason I want to do that is I don't want to keep changing adaptors when I want to use the Fuji TC....

not me. ;) Will rather spend the precious time shooting! hehe

btw mpenza, I'm thinking of using my 55-55mm adaptor instead, and use a 55-52mm stepdown ring for my old 52mm filters. Think it will vignette? Shouldn't right....

reason I want to do that is I don't want to keep changing adaptors when I want to use the Fuji TC....

I'm using the 55-55mm adaptor, steping down to fit a 52mm UV filter. There's no vignetting for this combo. But if I add a circular polariser or a IR lens, vignetting occurs :(

anyway, I just told malkw how I use the Fuji TC without having to use the 55-55mm adaptor. You just need to get two rings, one step-up to over 55mm, and another to step-down to 55mm. It works! for my case, I use a 52-58 step up and a 58-55 step down :)

Eh, how'd you get the thing to be in sync? Burst from your flash lasts like 1/500 of a second or less.

Originally posted by YSLee

Eh, how'd you get the thing to be in sync? Burst from your flash lasts like 1/500 of a second or less.

I suppose it's because the camera has an external flash sync speed of up to 1/1000.

Hi guys, just wondering what r the options available for a fish-eye or wide angle for the S602Z... :dunno:

Any recommendations?

The Fujifilm wide-angle converter is high quality and converts the lens to ~28mm equivalent.

Not too sure how the other wide-angle converter will work though.

As for fish-eye, I hadn't seen any yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.