S3Pro vs S5Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you able to get a NEW S5 at $1k +- now,were you?:devil:

I think its still possible to get..hav to find...is S3Pro still good enough a camera???or issit too outdated??

Bro,

I suggest to buy S5Pro since it is NEW, thus, got warranty.

However performance wise...does it differ much??

S5 is faster. S3 is slower. S5 is also smaller. S5 can meter on AIS lenses.

IMHO, S3 colors are better.

If given a choice, i will pick S5. more for warranty and its newer.

Here is a summary of their differences:

• S5 Pro is based on Nikon's semi-pro D200 body (magnesium alloy, weather-sealed), whereas the S3 Pro is based on the F80 (N80) body (high-impact plastic with metal sub-structure, not weather-sealed).
  • S5 Pro uses SuperCCD SR Pro (with an optimised low-pass filter to reduce moiré), whereas S3 Pro uses a SuperCCD SR II.
  • S5 Pro uses a newly-developed RP Processor Pro features two cycles of noise reduction with a claimed reduction in noise at higher ISOs.
  • S5 Pro allows you to shot RAF+ JPEG. You cannot do so with the S3 Pro.
  • The S5 Pro has an extended dynamic range of up to 400%, whereas the S3 Pro has an extended dynamic range of about 230%.
  • The S5 Pro uses MULTI-CAM 1000 with 11/7 AF focusing points, whereas S3 Pro uses MULTI-CAM 900 with 5 AF focusing points.
  • The S5 pro has 5 film simulation modes (F1, F1a, F1b, F1c and F2), whereas S3 Pro has 2 film simulation modes (F1 and F2).
  • S3 Pro accepts both xD-Picture Card and Compact Flash Type I/II (inc. Microdrive), whereas S5 Pro accepts Compact Flash Type I/II (inc. Microdrive) only.
  • S5 Pro has a 2.5" LCD, S3 Pro has a 2" LCD.
  • S5 Pro has a maximum ISO of 3,200, whereas S3 Pro has a maximum ISO of 1,600.
  • S5 Pro has a maximum shutter speed of 1/8000, whereas S3 Pro has a maximum shutter speed of 1/4000.
  • S5 Pro has a flash sync shutter speed of 1/250 seconds, whereas S3 Pro syncs at 1/180 seconds.
  • S5 Pro has a 3 steps exposure control (1 EV, 1/2 EV and 1/3 EV), whereas S3 Pro has a 2 steps exposure control (1 EV and 1/2 EV).
  • S5 Pro's White Balance features 9 presets, 5 manual presets and Kelvin temperature settings. S3 Pro has 6 presets and 2 manual presets without Kelvin temperature settings.
  • S3 Pro has both Firewire (IEEE 1394) and USB 2.0 connections, S5 Pro has USB 2.0 only.
  • S5 Pro uses i-TTL, whereas S3 Pro uses D-TTL.
  • The S3 pro uses four AA batteries, S5 Pro uses proprietary Li-ion battery NP-150.
  • S5 Pro has a AI aperture coupling ring thus enables the use of many excellent Nikkor AI-S manual focus lenses.
  • You can use any conventional shutter release cable with the S3 Pro, but the S5 Pro requires a 10-pin remote module such as the MC-30.
  • S3 Pro has a built-in battery grip thus physically bigger and heavier than S5 Pro (without Nikon MB-D200 battery grip).
  • Just as Fotophilic had pointed out, the S5 Pro reads/writes onto card faster than the S3 Pro.
  • In terms of JPEG images, S3 Pro has better colors. But the S2 Pro is still the undisputed "King of Colors".

Last edited:
just to let you know
the other day I saw that there's still an S3pro selling for about $3700 at Mustafa
you can go grab it if you are really interested

frankly, I sometimes do enjoy looking at the range of cameras there...
got potential to become camera musuem

just to let you know
the other day I saw that there's still an S3pro selling for about $3700 at Mustafa

soon sure museum if they kept on using the old price tags.....

1 S3pro = 3 S5pro?????

just to let you know

?!?!?!?!?! I would rather use that money to buy D700!

?!?!?!?!?! I would rather use that money to buy D700!

I had a D700 to play with last week. Personally, I find it overrated. The highlights tend to blow out.

I had a D700 to play with last week. Personally, I find it overrated. The highlights tend to blow out.

in terms of those highlight, of coz cannot fight S5 Pro mah. But D700 can be better in other aspects. Ok, I shall stop here. :)

wah..... all veli gentleman. gd.... i like this attitude. keep it up guys.

ps: D3 so so only.
fm2 with velvia SUPERB!

ok i stop here too.:bsmilie:

Last edited:
wah..... all veli gentleman. gd.... i like this attitude.

Most of us here are at least or more than 30 years old. I guess older folks have better control of our emotions. ;)

Last edited:
Most of us here are at least or more than 30 years old. I guess older folks have better control of our emotions. ;)

i younger than 30 leh :p

in terms of those highlight, of coz cannot fight S5 Pro mah. But D700 can be better in other aspects. Ok, I shall stop here. :)

i agree a friend of mien uses the D700 he say my exposure swee LOL as his always blown

Big Bird is back from Escape. ;)

yeah!! not fun de.. heng i didnt pay a cent, my gf got free tickets. i brought my s5pro along but didnt shoot much no strap so out in bag when nt used.

i was keen to learn more abt s3pro too but cant meter with ai-s lenses :( for me the only nikon worth me buying now is the D300 D50 i have already hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.