s3pro vs D200 RAW dynamic range

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks for the link man...i'll follow up wif my fwen who has a d200 and make an on site comparison....ie the same scene...then i'd post up the images....

act...wat say we test the jpegs too....coz i tink one beauty of the s3pro is its ability to produce nice jpegs...

cheers

Let's compare the speed, buffer, VF blackout, shutter release timing and also features lah, why compare only DR?

Everybody knows about S3 PRO DR :)

hmmm....coz imho...there's nuttin to compare in those areas....the d200 wins overall hahah

Exactly, then why compare only DR whereby everybody knows S3 PRO has the upper hand?

espn said:
Exactly, then why compare only DR whereby everybody knows S3 PRO has the upper hand?

the point is I DID NOT know how much better. Frankly, the D200 body has many advantages so it is very attractive to me. If its dynamic range is slightly worse, I may go with the D200. The test is information to me to base my next purchase decision.

How good/bad dynamic range of D200 RAW files, is of great interest to me.

wind30 said:
the point is I DID NOT know how much better. Frankly, the D200 body has many advantages so it is very attractive to me. If its dynamic range is slightly worse, I may go with the D200. The test is information to me to base my next purchase decision.

How good/bad dynamic range of D200 RAW files, is of great interest to me.
How good the photographer can control the camera to expose it correctly from the start is also an important factor.

The DR of the D200 is much more than what you've tested. If you get my point you'll know what I'm talking about.

espn said:
How good the photographer can control the camera to expose it correctly from the start is also an important factor.

The DR of the D200 is much more than what you've tested. If you get my point you'll know what I'm talking about.
:embrass: Must work on it more liow. :bsmilie:

../azul123

i know wat u are talking about...tt's y i suggested more exgtensive tests...

cheerios...

espn said:

I agree completely. That is more important in the first place and the DR of the camera, however good, is not going to rescue the photog if he has sucky skills.

tao said:
I agree completely. That is more important in the first place and the DR of the camera, however good, is not going to rescue the photog if he has sucky skills.

Of course, it is better to nail the exposure right on all the time. But I am quite a sucky photographer and I rely on A mode most of the time. Sometimes the camera (blame the tool) gets it wrong, and my pictures comes out overexposed or underexposed. This is one of the cases where a wide DR is impt to.

The other case is where the scene contains very bright and very dark details. In such a case, no matter how good a photographer you are, if the DR of your camera cannot cover the range, there is nothing you can do without multiple exposures.

Witness said:
thanks for the link man...i'll follow up wif my fwen who has a d200 and make an on site comparison....ie the same scene...then i'd post up the images....

act...wat say we test the jpegs too....coz i tink one beauty of the s3pro is its ability to produce nice jpegs...

cheers

my test is crude to say the least. Not the same scene, etc. It is not really a scientific comparison, so really looking forward to your test.

Actually I am more interested in the D200 RAW as it shows the theoretical limit of D200.

There were same scene comparison between the D200 and s3pro. here is one of them.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1020&message=17057355

Witness said:
i know wat u are talking about...tt's y i suggested more exgtensive tests...

cheerios...
do you mind if i tag along when you do your tests?

espn said:

To add on, a feature (good DR) on a camera remains a feature unless it can be practically implemented. Having such large raw file sizes, it is quite impractical to shoot S3Pro in raw, apart to conduct tests like this. Having said that, the S3Pro jpegs have good DR too. But that is not the point of this thread.

I rather have a usable raw file size that has less DR, then a good DR with an unusable file size that increases my workflow by several times over.

espn said:
Let's compare the speed, buffer, VF blackout, shutter release timing and also features lah, why compare only DR?

Hahaha, one arrow killing all the puny bird brain here! :thumbsup:

This girl eyes is so beautifully big, will marry her! no question ask. Character not important, other features not important, how old not important :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

stout said:

This girl eyes is so beautifully big, will marry her! no question ask. Character not important, other features not important, how old not important ::
u're still around? aren't u the 'slides master'?

who are u referring to, 'puny bird brain'?

u're a troll and u're not banned yet? :thumbsd:
get a life and out of the FujiFilm forum!:thumbsd:

stout said:
espn said:

This girl eyes is so beautifully big, will marry her! no question ask. Character not important, other features not important, how old not important :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

cuz as a landscape photographer, speed, buffer, VF blackout, Shuttter release timing and also other features are not needed but great DR gives u a raw file that gives u the advantage of roughly 8 stops bracketing within one image captured at a moment in time. =)

You just listed out all the draw backs, theres even more! :) so now you know who I'm refering to! not you Clown :bsmilie:

stout said:
You just listed out all the draw backs, theres even more! :) so now you know who I'm refering to! not you Clown :bsmilie:
i can't believe anyone would call themselves names, much less 'puny bird brain'.

i pity u stout, u mux've gone through so much to call urself that.

by the way, u caught the guy who did that to u? perhaps u can list out his physical attributes so that each member of CS can help u nab the offending man who gave u a hell of a rough ride. :bsmilie:

not to worry though, i'm keeping a lookout for u.

Status
Not open for further replies.