S2 Pro or D100?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pilgrim

Exactly what the subject line says! Am looking to buy a DSLR and I currently own a Nikon F4S and lenses. Also what is the current price for the D100 & S2 Pro? Thanking all of you in advance! Cheers!

Exactly what the subject line says! Am looking to buy a DSLR and I currently own a Nikon F4S and lenses. I have posted the same question on the Nikon page so to get a wider range of response. Also what is the current price for the D100 & S2 Pro? Thanking all of you in advance! Cheers!

D100 or course! :D

I was have the same dilenma as you exactly a week ago, I was comtemplating between S2 Pro and D100. Touch touch, play play both of them, even compare a B5-size printout.

Think think here think think there, eventually chose D100. And I don't own any Nikon lenses. Reasons, 1st, it's a Nikon; 2nd, the look and feel; 3rd, dun like the advertised 6MP effective, 12MP output thingie; 4th, I like the vertical grip.

IMO, bring down ur lenses and go to a shop and try out the S2 Pro and D100. You should be a better judge then.

D100 should be less than $2.9k and S2 Pro less than $2.8k?

i-quote from Cathay on 20 May:

1) Nikon D100 @ S$2,750.00

2) Fuji S2 Pro @ S$2,720.00
free with purchase ( while offer/stock last)
- tripod
- air tight case

Just for your reference.

I also had been thinking about it for quite some time, but till now haven't got any conclusion. Cos they are almost the same. And those who own either one of them in this forum are very happy and have not heard any complaining. But for my no money now so still back to thinking stage.....

Hi, an S2PRO user here, hope it helps:

S2PRO

ups -
1. U get more resolution for about the same price (12.1MP Super CCD)

2. Very Very clean ISO1600

3. Very nice skin tone (good for portraits!)

downs -
1. Batteries: Uses 4 AA size Nimh (or Alkaline) and 2 CR123A (expensive!), unless u get a modified MB16 which I am looking for. U can still operate the camera with 4AAs, but the built-in flash will not be operable; battery life also quite short with only 4AAs.

2. No vertical grip

S2 Pro for great colors, function LCD, ease of use. Both are great cameras. Just decide which one suits your shooting style , work flow and preferences better.

Originally posted by tweakmax

unless u get a modified MB16 which I am looking for. U can still operate the camera with 4AAs, but the built-in flash will not be operable; battery life also quite short with only 4AAs.

hi tweek,
juz to check wat do you mean by modified MB16, what does it do?

regards

Originally posted by Hobbes234
hi tweek,
juz to check wat do you mean by modified MB16, what does it do?

regards

The modified MB16 allows you to use 4 more AA batts instead of the 2 CR123As. Also serves as a vertical portrait grip.

Originally posted by sfhuang
The modified MB16 allows you to use 4 more AA batts instead of the 2 CR123As. Also serves as a vertical portrait grip.

just curious..as far as i know..the MB16 does not have a shutter release. so how does it function as a vertical portrait grip? you won't be able to hold on to it and click the shutter at the same time can u?

Originally posted by triston
just curious..as far as i know..the MB16 does not have a shutter release. so how does it function as a vertical portrait grip? you won't be able to hold on to it and click the shutter at the same time can u?

you're absolutely right. So it merely functions as a grip, and you have to stretch your fingers over to click the shutter (if they're long enough).

Another downside to using the modified MB16 on an S2 is when you need to mount the camera on a tripod, the MB16 is a flimsy support at best and it'd be best to remove it altogether before mounting the camera on the tripod.

you're absolutely right. So it merely functions as a grip, and you have to stretch your fingers over to click the shutter (if they're long enough).

The MB16 only replaces the 2 CR123As. It has no vertical shutter.

thanks..
do you do it yourself? or you are able to buy it off the shelf.

regards

Originally posted by Hobbes234
thanks..
do you do it yourself? or you are able to buy it off the shelf.

regards

can easily do myself, though I still haven't bought the MB16. No use for it esp since there's no vertical shutter grip.

Here's an illustration of how the modification is done:
http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/s2prouser/MB16/

Thanks people! I really appreciate the comments and I see that a couple of you have the same problem as I do. The D100 has a strong appeal for me as I am basically a Nikon user but having said that, I usually favour specs over brand. From the various reviews, it seems that the S2 Pro has a better picture output and the ISO 100 is highly desirable.

I usually shoot travel and news photos and have a laptop to work with. So anyone out there with more comments on this S2 or D100 issue, don't hold back! Let's hear it! Cheers!

Same dilemma ... but then I asked myself, 5 years from now, when I look at the image, would I think about what equipment I used, or the quality of the image ?

How much time would you like to spend in the digital darkroom ? From what I've read, this is required often for the D100 ... while on the S2, out-of-camera images are normally good enough.

Based on the above comments, you know what I got :D

However, no matter which one you get, they are both excellent cameras ... the difference is in the details. I would have no regrets if I went with the other model.

Status
Not open for further replies.