S100 or XZ-1

jingshun

Oct 7, 2011
Sg
Hi guys

Im planning on buying my first camera soon and i cant decide between the Canon s100 or the Olympus XZ-1. Do you guys think the slow lens on the Canon will be a big issue when taking shots in low light? One thing i like about the S100 is the size, but i wouldnt mind the xz-1 if it really is a lot better.

Your thoughts?

I will go for S100.

Considering the small sensor... Wouldn't you be using a flash anyway?

Both are good, but you need to ask yourself how often you really need the 1.8 aperture...

haha i didnt think of it that way, i guess your right, i probably wont be zooming much when in low light situations eg. indoors.
Do you guys think the S100 is a worthy upgrade over the S95? I could possibly get a s95 cheaper when the S100 is in stores. Plus the S95 looks nicer.

haha i didnt think of it that way, i guess your right, i probably wont be zooming much when in low light situations eg. indoors.
Do you guys think the S100 is a worthy upgrade over the S95? I could possibly get a s95 cheaper when the S100 is in stores. Plus the S95 looks nicer.

S100 has the built in grip, but I got mine for S95 with a stick on! Very important to have one. The aluminum body is slippery even if it has a coarse texture. That's if you hold it like a DSLR. IMO for new buyers, go for S100. For existing S95 user, keep it.

S100 has the built in grip, but I got mine for S95 with a stick on! Very important to have one. The aluminum body is slippery even if it has a coarse texture. That's if you hold it like a DSLR. IMO for new buyers, go for S100. For existing S95 user, keep it.

Wise words. No pointing upgrading to S100 if you are using S95.
Actually F2 is more than enough. Under Low light, you can't probably handheld afterall, unless you set the ISO to real high which is not that good afterall. 'Noisy' photo.

The best way is not only research but be thick skin a little, go to some shops in Funan and try it out.
I will recommend John 3:16 and SLR to try out those cameras. TK is one that i will NOT/NEVER go again.

Talking abt that pissed me off. LOL. Nonetheless, it's up to you TS. Try it out before buying. Seriously, you will be using it, not us afterall. Dun waste your money ah. Now recession, money hard to earn. LOL

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I guess ill go down to a shop soon to test the S100 out.
Just wondering, is the shop in holland v reliable? Price wise too

It would be good if TS would wait for S100 to come out, then go to the store and try both the cameras out. S100 being a newer camera and with the new Canon processor and such, (I think) would be technologically more advance. However, I believe for casual shooting, one would not notice much difference.

So TS might have to test out the cameras himself, see which one suited him/her more in terms of ergonomic, menu layout, UI, etc. Then get the one that he like (the feel) best.

I believe technology is only slightly newer, since they are only a few months apart.

What is more important is the quality of the glass. One look at both their lenses you can see the immediate difference. And XZ1 still maintains F2.5 at max zoom while the S100 is F5.9 at max zoom.

ISO performance is one thing, but the ability to get faster shutter speeds without the need to touch ISO is a big big plus. Especially when the difference is F2.5 to F5.9 (slightly more than 2 stops difference)... when shooting at max zoom wide open, this means that if XZ-1 shoot at 800 ISO, S100 has to shoot at 3200 ISO and still not reach the same shutter speed as the XZ-1

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I guess ill go down to a shop soon to test the S100 out.
Just wondering, is the shop in holland v reliable? Price wise too

If you are talking about Parisilk then yes, price wise is competitive and my experience with them is not bad. They have another shop at Katong and Nee Soon (not sure if service is as good). Can call them ask for a quote first and availability of stock before going down.

At least during the time when I bought my lens and I was comparing several reputable shops Parisilk has one of the lowest and I stay in the west so it saves me some time too.

Definitely s100 , a few mths ago , i tried s95 and xz1 at fun an and found out s95 is much better in every aspect( I test low light at shop and s95 can acheive pretty sharp pic. so the improved version of s95 will be a winner here.

Consider the m4/3 cameras as well. The sensor performance is better than the 2 cameras you listed and the camera is not much bigger.
The EPL1 for example was recently going for ~$499 with a kit lens.
Ppl are selling their used G1 (far better interface and IQ than above two) for ~$250 body only.

Probably S100 will be better.
S100 has a wider view at the wide end and longer reach at the long end than XZ-1.

People look more natural in S100. IMO, XZ-1's noise control is overly aggressive, people looked pretty plastic-ky in the shots that I have tried out.
S100 has a built in GPS, though it might eat a fair bit into your battery life.

Btw, I love the styling of the white XZ-1 ;)

S100 will have (as compared to S95):
- New CMOS sensor (although 12MP now) but it will have better low light performance than S95's CCD one.
- New Digic5 processor which Canon claims to have better noise processing performance.
- Able to zoom and AF during video
- Full HD video
- Wider 24mm lens compared to 28mm

Of course, for existing S95 users, if video is not important, then no need to upgrade.

For new buyers, go straight to S100.

I will go for XZ-1.

Me too, given the fact of the art filters that the XZ-1 offers like pin hole effects, Dynamic effects and others that canon s100 not able offer. Price wise that XZ-1 cost $550-$580... ... a very seductive price! Aperture f1.8 is not just give you better low light effects, and also good bokeh.... ... maybe you get the black one because of the material that don't look so plastic

So far I have read many positive reviews about the xz-1.

Has anyone had any experience with the s100 yet? I tried the s95 in one the shops yesterday, it feels very solid compared to the xz-1. But from what i see the LCD screen on the s95 looks clearer and brighter than the xz-1. However, specs wise, the xz-1 is supposed to be better? any thoughts on this?

Im quite concern about the slow lens on the s100 when its zoomed out.

jingshun said:
So far I have read many positive reviews about the xz-1.

Has anyone had any experience with the s100 yet? I tried the s95 in one the shops yesterday, it feels very solid compared to the xz-1. But from what i see the LCD screen on the s95 looks clearer and brighter than the xz-1. However, specs wise, the xz-1 is supposed to be better? any thoughts on this?

Im quite concern about the slow lens on the s100 when its zoomed out.

Dont base judgement on LCD screen. The actual pic quality is different on LCD screen and your PC monitor. Normally LCD pic will look better, but it doesn't mean the actual quality is that good.

Note that canon always have good LCD screen output but the actual pic quality is different.

Olympus jpeg got nicer colors