S.R. Nathan our FIRST elected president?

UncleFai

Mar 10, 2010
Singapore
From our award winning main paper... contradicts my memory and understanding of the elected presidency.

14021666_1278201085538171_1170451872344007627_n.jpg

Newspaper is obsolete...if you read it on the internet only then is it factual...lol

Was it not Ong Teng Chong?

And if I recall, he was not give a state funeral........

And before the President's Challenge, there was President's Star Charity started by Ong Teng Chong.

One was wiling to open the key to the reserves but the other was not. And the difference in treatment and recognition is so different.... Sad

Was it not Ong Teng Chong?

And if I recall, he was not give a state funeral........

No. Anybody know why?

I think you made a mistake here, like the newpaper. Indeed Ong Teng Cheong was the FIRST elected President, after the constitution was amended in 1991 to provide for popular election of the President.

Yes he is the first Elected President.

Presidents before him were Appointed.

Even a foreigner like me who doesn't live in Singapore know this. :bsmilie:

Was told ST made an amendment but did not see it myself.

Not to reduce the contributions of Nathan, but Ong Teng Chong was originally coined the People's President.

And also another fact, Nathan, while elected President, was never voted for as there was no other candidate. We only voted for Ong Teng Chong and recently Tony Tan.

I think you made a mistake here, like the newpaper. Indeed Ong Teng Cheong was the FIRST elected President, after the constitution was amended in 1991 to provide for popular election of the President.

Sorry. History of Singapore wasn't taught in Australian schools. :bsmilie:

Don't think last year's queue record will be broken.
But who knows. With sporean kiasu mentality, when someone starts the queue, everyone will just follows.

No. Anybody know why?

Something I wondered about too. I heard his family did not want it. Recent reports went further, but I can't remember the details.
Was there anything more to it? Dunno, your guess is as good as mine

First elected and longest serving President. And. I think that's what they meant? Cos OTC only serve 1 term

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Then their England cannot make it lor... should say "longest serving elected President to date"...