S.R. Nathan our FIRST elected president?

UncleFai

Mar 10, 2010
Singapore
From our award winning main paper... contradicts my memory and understanding of the elected presidency.

Nikonzen

Nov 3, 2014
Oklahoma, USA
Newspaper is obsolete...if you read it on the internet only then is it factual...lol

lkf73

Apr 8, 2004
Was it not Ong Teng Chong?

And if I recall, he was not give a state funeral........

lkf73

Apr 8, 2004
And before the President's Challenge, there was President's Star Charity started by Ong Teng Chong.

One was wiling to open the key to the reserves but the other was not. And the difference in treatment and recognition is so different.... Sad

s1221ljc

May 7, 2006
I think you made a mistake here, like the newpaper. Indeed Ong Teng Cheong was the FIRST elected President, after the constitution was amended in 1991 to provide for popular election of the President.

Yes he is the first Elected President.

Presidents before him were Appointed.

Even a foreigner like me who doesn't live in Singapore know this. :bsmilie:

lkf73

Apr 8, 2004
Was told ST made an amendment but did not see it myself.

Not to reduce the contributions of Nathan, but Ong Teng Chong was originally coined the People's President.

And also another fact, Nathan, while elected President, was never voted for as there was no other candidate. We only voted for Ong Teng Chong and recently Tony Tan.

I think you made a mistake here, like the newpaper. Indeed Ong Teng Cheong was the FIRST elected President, after the constitution was amended in 1991 to provide for popular election of the President.
Sorry. History of Singapore wasn't taught in Australian schools. :bsmilie:

can100D

Jan 16, 2015
Singapore
Don't think last year's queue record will be broken.
But who knows. With sporean kiasu mentality, when someone starts the queue, everyone will just follows.

UncleFai

Mar 10, 2010
Singapore
First elected and longest serving President. And. I think that's what they meant? Cos OTC only serve 1 term

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
Then their England cannot make it lor... should say "longest serving elected President to date"...

Top Bottom