S$400 for a day's shoot for a luxury property?!!!

bowwow

I just found out that a luxury property here got someone, an amateur, to shoot for them at $400 for a day. End of it all, none of the images can be used as the images do not fulfilled the client's immediate needs. Another quote from a pro for the same job was in the S$5K range.

The disparity is jarring, from $400 to $5000. Really, is this where we are heading?

interior shoot? $400??????

just take a look at services wanted section,

no matter how cheap are of assignments being offer, they still can find someone to shoot for them.

so even there are some assignments with high expectation seeking for photographers, you can pretty sure many are quoting "hard to resist super special value offers" price to the clients.

some time, you just wondering these people really know how to shoot or not??

How you know?

also, the client took a risk, and it fails.....

just take a look at services wanted section,

no matter how cheap are of assignments being offer, they still can find someone to shoot for them.

so even there are some assignments with high expectation seeking for photographers, you can pretty sure many are quoting "hard to resist super special value offers" price to the clients.

some time, you just wondering these people really know how to shoot or not??

its not totally about how to shoot, but how to execute it.

some can really shoot well, but cannot execute it well.

To the amateurs who attempted to take the job, it's might just seems to be a matter of pressing a shutter button and maybe an expensive camera and lens will take care of it. Read some articles from Bryan Peterson maybe. Chance of exposure and portfolio we all understand lah, it's Clubsnap mah.

It's what you don't know that killed you.

In this instance I see the client is more at fault. They invited these photographers but shut out the real people who can do the job.

Anyway, "You keep shooting!!" :)

you mind clarifying the difference between shoot and execute?

kinda hard to explain..... last time about 10 years ago, i shoot some for my own collection..... some bears in a old box....

I printed it and one day, a agency guy came to look for my colleague, and he saw the pictures. He told my colleague, a good try, not bad but final execution fails.

From there, i learn that not you can shoot means you can execute it for the final output. You need to understand the concept, client's expectation, how to make it to perfection.

It's like many people can shoot well example a room, nice lights etc, but execute it to make the picture perfect, placement of items, products, light source, mood and feel of the images...... the color, shadow placement, angle, perspective etc etc, a lot to learn and know.

To an amateur $400/day is a lot of money as he may only make $100/day in his regular job.

The problem is that many clients think just because the amateur can shoot some nice photos in their "portfolio" they can execute a commericial brief.

Somehow i feel the photo biz section became an amateur bashing forum and bitching of how low people charge. Then after bashing, the talk about cost comes in saying how ignorant those "cheapo" photographers are. No?

I think that this kind of thread is not helping anyone. We already have all the information we need in other similar threads in the photo biz forum.

Furthermore, if the client is unhappy, then he should be the one to post this on the forum instead.

For example anyone can also post a thread call "Paid $4000. Engaged someone else at $1000 and got better photos instead" without anyone verifying it's authenticity.

Hope you know where am i coming from.

Last edited:
Somehow i feel the photo biz section became an amateur bashing forum and bitching of how low people charge. Then after bashing, the talk about cost comes in saying how ignorant those "cheapo" photographers are. No?

I think that this kind of thread is not helping anyone. We already have all the information we need in other similar threads in the photo biz forum.

Furthermore, if the client is unhappy, then he should be the one to post this on the forum instead.

For example anyone can also post a thread call "Paid $4000. Engaged someone else at $1000 and got better photos instead" without anyone verifying it's authenticity.

LOL... yes true to a point. In fact, because already stated $400 VS $5000, i believe many already think $400 work is rubbish. Maybe the $400 guy did a great job, but client expectation is different, not so bad pictures but cannot execute to what the clients wants.

Not saying $400 is correct price, but need to know which agency handles the job, as why they take such a risk? Unbelievable....

To an amateur $400/day is a lot of money as he may only make $100/day in his regular job.

The problem is that many clients think just because the amateur can shoot some nice photos in their "portfolio" they can execute a commericial brief.

bro... the wine still yet to shoot..... wanna do it this week?

LOL... yes true to a point. In fact, because already stated $400 VS $5000, i believe many already think $400 work is rubbish. Maybe the $400 guy did a great job, but client expectation is different, not so bad pictures but cannot execute to what the clients wants.

Not saying $400 is correct price, but need to know which agency handles the job, as why they take such a risk? Unbelievable....

Most likely not handled by an agency but direct client ;)

Indeed. IMHO the photobiz forum should focus on helping people build their photo business, which some guys here are doing though they are also getting bashed and accused.

So it's chaos here. Maybe if the photo biz section can be made accessible via application, it will reach the right people who needs it. And trouble stirrers can later be restricted out by the mods. JMHTC