RX 100 dead.. need new camera recommendations

For those considering RX100Mk3 and G7X, just a reference.

http://youtu.be/_E6Mxxe_kG4

Oh yeah. The test done in that video are totally crap. Frankly, I will not take that even as a reference. Plus the reviewer entered that review already bias towards Sony (look at all his other reviews... as long as it is from Sony... it is good. If it is from Canon, they are crap.) Simple as that.

If you really want a better and non-bias review, check this,

http://www.imaging-resource.com/cameras/sony/rx100-iii/vs/canon/g7x/

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_PowerShot_G7X/

As such, there are no clear winner between the RX100 and G7X, both of them are great little cameras, it all depends on yourself.

Last edited:
Oh yeah. The test done in that video are totally crap. Frankly, I will not take that even as a reference. Plus the reviewer entered that review already bias towards Sony (look at all his other reviews... as long as it is from Sony... it is good. If it is from Canon, they are crap.) Simple as that.

If you really want a better and non-bias review, check this,

http://www.imaging-resource.com/cameras/sony/rx100-iii/vs/canon/g7x/

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_PowerShot_G7X/

As such, there are no clear winner between the RX100 and G7X, both of them are great little cameras, it all depends on yourself.

To you it may be crap, for a start you never really believed in Sony, but the points they pointed out literally checked all the boxes i was looking for in a premium COMPACT camera.

So its up to individual requirements.

To you it may be crap, for a start you never really believed in Sony, but the points they pointed out literally checked all the boxes i was looking for in a premium COMPACT camera.

So its up to individual requirements.

For a start, I believe in Sony, looked at all my other post, don't question my integrity and I have used more Sony camera and other product for work and leisure... even more so than many other brands (but that is beside the point).

I believe in all brands of camera, I have no preference to whatever camera brand out there, unlike many fanboys and fangirls out there...

Second, I never believe and think all those reviews are craps if they piss on any brands of camera, be it Canon, Nikon, Sony or any other brands.

When we get that out of the way, lets looked at the reviews again. First off, the camera are used by two different people - that is one variable. Second, they never test the cameras in all condition, just picked some scenario. So... I say these tests are craps.

And I provide two other links for you. These two links actually tell you the pro and cons for each of the camera. for example, the Sony had a sharper lens as compared to Canon... the Canon had a wider focal range, the Sony had a viewfinder, the Canon had a touch screen operation. Both cameras shared (I suspect) the same sensor, so ISO performance should be pretty close to each other, although they have different graphic processor.

And finally... I mentioned that there is no clear winner here (unlike what this chap Chris is saying).

Last edited:
For a start, I believe in Sony, looked at all my other post, don't question my integrity and I have used more Sony camera and other product for work and leisure... even more so than many other brands (but that is beside the point).

I believe in all brands of camera, I have no preference to whatever camera brand out there, unlike many fanboys and fangirls out there...

Second, I never believe and think all those reviews are craps if they piss on any brands of camera, be it Canon, Nikon, Sony or any other brands.

When we get that out of the way, lets looked at the reviews again. First off, the camera are used by two different people - that is one variable. Second, they never test the cameras in all condition, just picked some scenario. So... I say these tests are craps.

And I provide two other links for you. These two links actually tell you the pro and cons for each of the camera. for example, the Sony had a sharper lens as compared to Canon... the Canon had a wider focal range, the Sony had a viewfinder, the Canon had a touch screen operation. Both cameras shared (I suspect) the same sensor, so ISO performance should be pretty close to each other, although they have different graphic processor.

And finally... I mentioned that there is no clear winner here (unlike what this chap Chris is saying).

I totally agree with Chris, looking at both cameras, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to believe that the Sony is much more difficult to design.

Its almost like a swiss army knife camera.

Whereas canon has been giving half-hearted effort of late, g7x is one example.

It will still sell though because it is a canon.

I totally agree with Chris, looking at both cameras, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to believe that the Sony is much more difficult to design.
In which way is this relevant for the average Joe? Do you buy a camera to take pictures or to appreciate engineering and technical design? In case of the latter, there is a German brand with red logo :) Just slightly higher price tag.

In which way is this relevant for the average Joe? Do you buy a camera to take pictures or to appreciate engineering and technical design? In case of the latter, there is a German brand with red logo :) Just slightly higher price tag.

very funny

Whereas canon has been giving half-hearted effort of late, g7x is one example.

It will still sell though because it is a canon.

Like what Octarine had mentioned, just get yourself a Leica if you want German engineering and precision. Normal people like myself wouldn't care how difficult the camera is being design and coming from engineering line, the more complicated a design, the more prompt to error it would be. As to what that Chris is saying, it is a total misconception.

It is basically like telling people, my camera is more difficult to design and I would assume it to be more difficult to put together, so it is better than another company who had a camera that is easy to design and built. Which is a total and complete misconception.

Last edited:
For those considering RX100Mk3 and G7X, just a reference.
About the camerastore video

Yeah that was one of the first 'reviews' out there 'comparing' the two cameras.. But when you realise that one of them is made out to be a bumbling baboon and the other coming across as a condescending dick it really doesn't give any weight to their so called review at all..

Best reading the other more legit reviews out there if you have any intelligence at all.

That being said I will repeat that the original rx100 was my favourite camera at that price entry point.. So when I finally did kill it with a glorious death.. I was immediately interested in the new one.. But at 1200 clams this little vixen is one hot to trot lass..

So in steps the G7X which I snapped for 500 less.. Repeat 500 less!! With the same sensor and arguably better lens and touch screen offers a compelling alternative choice. (Screw the viewfinder.. Just buy a DSLR)

That and the fact now having owned both the Sony and the Canon can say that the G7X is of a higher build quality, way more solid, and more importantly less likely to break under the conditions I impose on cameras.

I'll probably destroy the G7X in two years anyway.. So until then I'll reserve judgement until that terrible day..

So thanks for all the advice from all here in the forum.. And above all keep on taking them photos!

Some shots from Mandalay, Bagan, and Pyay..

Resized only.. 60% original at medium jpeg quality.

20141111_121320.jpg
20141112_080418.jpg
20141112_080738.jpg
20141112_185017.jpg
20141114_111415.jpg

Last edited:
G7X is pretty serious bang for buck. I just wish Canon would stop their line skipping, pixel binned mushy video...

Some shots from Mandalay, Bagan, and Pyay..

Resized only.. 60% original at medium jpeg quality.

Excellent shot there Jamie. Good to see that you are making great use of the capability of G7X, unlike others who had been nitpicking on a camera.