Russian made Leica DRP clone with nazi logo

anuar ahmad

May 1, 2008
One side of the heart say keep the other say let it go...
as there are some who would prefer to be dissociated with anything nazi

Many people especially young people have mistook an eagle as a symbol of nazi party of Germany in WW2.

The actual symbol is a swastika which is borrowed from ...more here.http://edhamma.net/?p=467

From above article:
The swastika symbol (卐) is a cross with four arms of equal length with the ends of each arm bent at right angle in right facing form or mirrored left facing form (卍). Early archaeological evidence of swastika-shaped ornaments dates back to the ancient civilisation as well as in the art of the Egyptians, Romans, Greeks, Celts, Native Americans, and Persians as well as; specifically in Hinduisms, Jainism and Buddhism as a sacred symbol of good luck.

Swastika is derived from Sanskrit word Savstika, “su” meaning “good”, “asti” meaning “to be” (well-being, good fortune, and “ka” as a suffix.

Swastika symbol belongs to many ancient cultures even the christians.

If you think that the eagle symbol is nazi then what about the american bald eagle of America?

So please allay your fears as there are no nazi symbols on the Leica camera.:)A good piece of engineering is just that.

Last edited:
One side of the heart say keep the other say let it go...
as there are some who would prefer to be dissociated with anything nazi

Hi

What Nazi logo

I think you need to check history books

The eagle is a symbol of germany

it's not the Nazi symbol

Ahmad you did not commit any crimes against humanity and I am sure you probably do not condone such things. I'm also sure you do not no go goose stepping around spewing hate either. It is just a camera sir.

Thanks everyone for pointing out it's not a nazi logo, i googled and realised it's just an eagle and allaying the fear of ownership.
This little russian moniker aka russian fake leica including the lens is great but what give me the half heart feeling is the attraction i get while hand holding out shooting at little india, china town, orchard road or travelling on public transport.
I even had a couple of young guys asking is it brass or gold.
I've used the Leica IIIf at the same location before yet it did not pull that much attraction.

Once again thanks everyone.

The brassing is wonderful if you ask me and I would imagine that is what is attracting attention. CZJ was in the Russian zone and tooling and lots of parts were captured by the Russians. Some of the folks working there also just kept on working. I think I would research the unit more thoroughly it may not be truly Leica but then again all the components may very well be...

I know a little about all of that but Leicas are not my forte.

An aside...I have a cousin who is a MIT graduate now satellite engineer who was working on a project a few years ago concerning optical systems engineered in Zena for some satellite his company was working on. He demonstrated to his superiors that Zena's calculations were incorrect. They sent him over to Zena to straighten them boys out. :)

Last edited:
If you show a swastika in Asia most people will take it for its original meaning. Most don't know about the abuse by German Nazis. Nothing to worry for your shooting trips.
However, your concern for Nazi symbols is valid once you enter European soil. In many European countries the symbols are banned and flagging them in any way can lead to fines or harsher things.
After estimated 40 million casualties during WW2 the Russians would be the very last to put the symbols of the Nazis on anything (except the few dumb fools that exist in every country).

An aside...I have a cousin who is a MIT graduate now satellite engineer who was working on a project a few years ago concerning optical systems engineered in Zena for some satellite his company was working for. He demonstrated to his superiors that Zena's calculations were incorrect. They sent him over to Zena to straighten them boys out. :)
CZJ stands for Carl Zeiss Jena. Carl Zeiss was the scientist, Jena is (still) the city. That's what gave this East German company the name :)

Last edited:
If you show a swastika in Asia most people will take it for its original meaning. Most don't know about the abuse by German Nazis. Nothing to worry for your shooting trips.
However, your concern for Nazi symbols is valid once you enter European soil. In many European countries the symbols are banned and flagging them in any way can lead to fines or harsher things.
After estimated 40 million casualties during WW2 the Russians would be the very last to put the symbols of the Nazis on anything (except the few dumb fools that exist in every country).

Hear hear!!! What goes for Europe also goes for America for the most part (except for maybe a few of the Trumpeteers who would probably like seeing a few swastikas of the 30's and 40's era). I'm not sure about some places in SA. Lots of Nazis fled to certain countries there.

There are many wartime cameras in the USA and GB...we took them home with us. I would also imagine there are many in Asia too because of the collectors. That is why I would dig into that camera a little further. It may be the real deal just Russian badged perhaps for military service which would have probably meant using the best stuff leftover from the war. In other words the real deal stuff. You may have a little treasure in your hands there.

Last edited:
CZJ stands for Carl Zeiss Jena. Carl Zeiss was the scientist, Jena is (still) the city. That's what gave this East German company the name :)

Thanks for the correction sir. Thinking faster than I can type or typing faster than I can think. haha :)

Once upon a time I had some wonderful prewar CZJ microscope sets...in fact that is what brought me to cameras.

Last edited:
I would imagine there would be internal markings in the lens barrel and the camera but as I said I know a little but not enough. I know some folks who would know however.

As pointed out by others, the swastika is a widely accepted "auspicious" symbol in the east. It is "wan" in Chinese - Unicode 534D (clockwise) and 5350 (anti-clockwise). (You can check it in Microsoft Word, insert symbol, choose Arial Unicode MS font). Both forms are used. However, as far as I know, when used in Asia, it is written "flat". The Nazi uses a 45 degrees rotated anticlockwise (Unicode 5350) version.

The Bundesadler ("federal eagle") is the coat of arm of Germany today. It is derived from the coat of arms of Germany for the longest time.

But as pointed out, use/display of the swastika in Europe or Israel is very much not advisable.

Last edited:
Got an fake Leica but without the eagles logo
fd4cb8121141f8557c095d1226178406.jpg
cc06cad18162a86bdd2feda921c91a97.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

What makes you think it's a fake? Not all Leica models automatically had the eagle.