Running girl

xsaifuddin

Oct 23, 2010
Pasir Ris
6240951566_29a66968c7_z.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
In terms of composition and contrast of B&W that creates the overall feeling in this photo.

2. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
This was taken during a photowalk along the Sentosa Boardwalk. It was a relaxing moment and I was trying to capture something with impact within the scenic location. It was pretty tough for me as there was too many distracting buildings of no geometry popping here and there across the sea so I ended the day with this shot being one of the best in my opinion.

3. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture?
I think this photo is trying to convey a sense arrangement of the lines and shapes while instilling a touch of a human element which is represented by the girl.

Just a little background, I started my photography journey as a newbie back in late 2008. Learnt the basics the hard way from some of the old birds here when I posted a crappy photo for critique. So, please do provide your best thoughts on other factors that needed to be improved ie. exposure, etc. Wish to gather as much inputs from you guys for me to get a sensing of my photography direction.

Thanks!

I don't think any photo can be considered 'crappy'. Being a newbie myself, I don't think I am qualify to say much but I was looking for that little girl you mentioned in your title.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
In terms of composition and contrast of B&W that creates the overall feeling in this photo.

2. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
This was taken during a photowalk along the Sentosa Boardwalk. It was a relaxing moment and I was trying to capture something with impact within the scenic location. It was pretty tough for me as there was too many distracting buildings of no geometry popping here and there across the sea so I ended the day with this shot being one of the best in my opinion.

3. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture?
I think this photo is trying to convey a sense arrangement of the lines and shapes while instilling a touch of a human element which is represented by the girl.

Just a little background, I started my photography journey as a newbie back in late 2008. Learnt the basics the hard way from some of the old birds here when I posted a crappy photo for critique. So, please do provide your best thoughts on other factors that needed to be improved ie. exposure, etc. Wish to gather as much inputs from you guys for me to get a sensing of my photography direction.

Thanks!

1. Composition is not coherent with the title. Perhaps the title means less and the photo means more. For the latter case, I see value in the photo. At first glance, I actually took the trouble to look around, searching for the running girl you mentioned. It's like "Where is Wally ?"

2. The composition is fine, though I personally prefer the corner right lead line starts in between the bottom border and the bottom right corner. It will provide a near starting point towards the audience before stretching out to further.

3. I see the girl is more like a dust in the photo. In my opinion, the girl serve little purpose in the photo. It's proportion is too small in the photo to be taken as a subject.

Perspective and Composition, I see effort and mood. Overall, it's a good take.

The running girl is the subject. The photo doesn't reflect this. It is more on landscape.

Thanks all for your comments.

My apologies if the title doesn't match with the photo itself. This is my biggest downside when giving photo titles, had a tough time trying to give this one a title while knowing this photo is more on the landscape and lesser of the girl running. Point noted. Hope there is no repetitive comments about this.

Maybe I would like to open this to everyone, any good title that will go well with the photo?

you might want to crop the top and bottom part of the photo away to make it look tighter.

rh5nqq.jpg

Last edited:
still not enough emphasis on the running girl. your subject is too small and blends in too much with the railings and walkway to properly see her.

i'm newbie here but i can see the cropped photo is a lot better than the original. i can't think of a better title though

still not enough emphasis on the running girl. your subject is too small and blends in too much with the railings and walkway to properly see her.

minimalist :p except that the background kinda messy but lucky still got some symmetric (in a way).

if is me .. i just DI away the girl
to small to create impact
or title 8 lamp posts

the photo has structure but it lacks a 'moment'.

perhaps the photographer should have waited longer for something interesting and complementary to the composition to appear.

the running girl is neither interesting nor complememtary to the photo.

Hi. I am a very newbie.
The depth from the angle platform is nice.
I am just wondering if little girl is wearing bright clothing and how it would look in colour.

Hi. I am a very newbie.
The depth from the angle platform is nice.
I am just wondering if little girl is wearing bright clothing and how it would look in colour.

yeah good idea, can do selective coloring on this photo to bring focus to the little gal.

Your original photo has too much empty space at the top and bottom.

Your composition divided the photo in half, and your "rule of thirds" only applied to the girl, where it should be applied to as much elements in the scene as possible (think horizontally third, vertically third, you can even do third's in third)

Your subject is just too small for this shot. For me, no matter how much you crop it, itll not work, cause simply the (already) little girl is overshadowed by -

1: Lampposts
2: Buildings in the background (the top half of the girl somewhat melds with the buildings in the bg cause its B&W)
3: The lines created by the railings and the boardwalk (they do not help by diverging attention to her)

That being said, this is not a horrible or even a bad shot. As someone mentioned above, maybe a little re-positioning, and a shift of subject (to the lampposts), it could work.
Don't give up. Shoot more and come back regularly for comments - both good and bad. That's how you're gonna improve.
Good luck! (Y)