Runaway China scholars

But ...have you ever thought about how these foreign scholars were picked and based on what selection criteria? Are all of them deserving of the scholarships that they were granted? What is the real intention or real objective of recruiting these foreign scholars? Aren't our locals good enough and why should they be deprived of such privilege?

No hoohah intended here.

Might you suggest a foolproof methodology of picking people for any task? :bsmilie:

Let's not even talk about anything else, something that you are familiar with - model shooting. Have you come up with a good (let's not even say foolproof) way to filter models to ensure that you will be walking away from great photographs from every shoot, after all your years of experience of model shooting? I suppose you will have some form of quick way to decide which people are better, which people are worse. But there are always going to be deviations where your quick way doesn't work.

Last edited:
3: this one, i'm not too sure, because i can't name any. but i will hazard a guess that there are scholarships provided only for overseas scholars. i'll raise the example of RVHS Li-Ning badminton scholarship. i know that RVHS provides this scholarship for students from china and malaysia. i don't recall singapore yet. it might be because they haven't done it, or they haven't announced, or i was unaware. but i won't rule out the possibility of only foreigners allowed scholarship. most of the time, there are pretty good reasons for this, such as economical, socio-political reasons.

A*STAR administers the SINGA scholarship. Open to foreigners only to do phd at nus/ntu. No bond.
A*STAR also administers the AGA local scholarship. Open to singaporeans/pr only to do phd at nus/ntu. 2-3 years bond.

Just read todays paper, that more place in university for local (pardon me if i interprete wrongly) ..

But they worry about the standard of the degree graduates if they accept just anyone .. ... So in the end i guess the additonal place may not be for my children in future ..

I know of so many friends where they have to sent the children aboard for university education, just because our education here accept only the very best .. so end of the day, if you r poor and not the top student .. bad luck, u will be a diplomo or jc level worker .. slogging away .. its so irony that we as a first world country cant provide university education for everyone ..

We only want the very best, and nothing else .. its stressing everyone out ..

I know of a local singaporean guy graduate with first class honours. 4 years on dean's list. During the scholarship interview the interviewers insisted his grades are bad because he has a few Bs. Didn't get the scholarship. Yet alot of people who got it are 2nd uppers. Another person i know graduated with first class honours form NUS. Applied to the same place for postgraduate scholarship. Got rejected outright without interview.

And allow me to clear up a misconception. Scholarships are not designed for poor people. More often than not the scholarship holder is a person rich enough that he don't need the scholarship, but applied and got it anyway. Because it looks good for his resume.

Philip Yeo once said if 2 applicants, both equal in every way except financial background, come before him for a scholarship, he will award it to the poorer person. Immediately, Eddie Teo, the chairman of Public Service Commission, came up with a rebuttal and said scholarships will not discriminate against the rich, including the prime minister's son.

A*STAR administers the SINGA scholarship. Open to foreigners only to do phd at nus/ntu. No bond.
A*STAR also administers the AGA local scholarship. Open to singaporeans/pr only to do phd at nus/ntu. 2-3 years bond.

So better go to China and become Chinese citizen to apply for no bond scholarship from there? :bsmilie:

Might you suggest a foolproof methodology of picking people for any task? :bsmilie:

Let's not even talk about anything else, something that you are familiar with - model shooting. Have you come up with a good (let's not even say foolproof) way to filter models to ensure that you will be walking away from great photographs from every shoot, after all your years of experience of model shooting? I suppose you will have some form of quick way to decide which people are better, which people are worse. Buttherearalwaysgoing to be deviations whquicsn't work.[/QUOTE

.....so simple lah ..... If the model is not up to it ....... Dun shoot lor ......
Never shoot model before eh? :p

Are you implying that if candidates no good, can still anyhow award them scholarship? :think:

Last edited:

Let's not even talk about anything else, something that you are familiar with - model shooting. Have you come up with a good (let's not even say foolproof) way to filter models to ensure that you will be walking away from great photographs from every shoot, after all your years of experience of model shooting? I suppose you will have some form of quick way to decide which people are better, which people are worse. But there are always going to be deviations where your quick way doesn't work.

.....so simple lah ..... If the model is not up to it ....... Dun shoot lor ......

What if model is up to it but he is not up to it? :bsmilie:

What if model is up to it but he is not up to it? :bsmilie:

Then you must recommend him your acupuncturist ....... So are you up now? :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Then you must recommend him your acupuncturist ....... So are you up now? :bsmilie:

I can recommend you my herbalist. :bsmilie:

3819729056_4a30f5d7aa.jpg

Are you implying that if candidates no good, can still anyhow award them scholarship? :think:

When do you find out that the model is up to it? Before you have paid the deposit, or after? Have you not sunk in some amount of cost? Say simple, actually not so simple. :)

Kindly do not put words in my mouth, because it can work both ways.

Last edited:
I can recommend you my herbalist. :bsmilie:

3819729056_4a30f5d7aa.jpg

.... I thought your acupuncturist was a young lady. No??? Wah piang ..... your herbalist cmi lah!!

When do you find out that the model is up to it? Before you have paid the deposit, or after? Have you not sunk in some amount of cost? Say simple, actually not so simple. :)

........... :)

........... :)

and... we have a winner!

aiya. there is a risk. my suggestion is just simply up the penalties! during period of serving bond, all travel overseas etc must be reported, add in a jail term for breaking bonds etc etc.

liddat hor, i think very little ppl dare break bond liao. maybe end up no one apply too!

If the very rich students apply for and get scholarships, then it is like the people who drive to a coffeeshop's 1st day opening "free meals for all" celebration - in expensive limousines to jostle with the poor for the free food. This kind of behavior is ............................UNIQUELY SINGAPORE.

Last edited:
If the very rich students apply for and get scholarships, then it is like the people who drive to a coffeeshop's 1st day opening "free meals for all" celebration - in expensive limousines to jostle with the poor for the free food. This kind of behavior is ............................UNIQUELY SINGAPORE.

To help the poor one got bursary, that one rich students sure cannot apply, but the amount is much less though. Some scholarship they will invite you to interview even you no apply...

To help the poor one got bursary, that one rich students sure cannot apply, but the amount is much less though. Some scholarship they will invite you to interview even you no apply...

:eek: i no invitation! maybe i'm not good enough? :(

........ Some scholarship they will invite you to interview even you no apply...

Wah, this means kelong already. They won before they even took part.