Runaway China scholars

Zenten

Deregistered
Jun 13, 2004
....... as the story goes ................

2 China scholars from Anderson Junior College were found absent from class for several days. When school staff checked their hostel, they found that the students had packed up and gone to USA!

Apparently these 'smart' students found out that they don't need A level results to gain entry into US universities. They secretly applied for an American University. When they got accepted by one, bought their air-tickets and then run!

What can the Singapore Government do? Sue them? Recover our money? They were not bonded woh.

let the million dollar club member handle.... we are not paid that much to do.

probably if such problem exist, its just the tip of the iceberg. during my 'bond serving time', some of my mates were made to pay up liquidated damages (which is the SOP)for non serving after their NS stint. let alone non bonded scholars like them

2 China scholars from Anderson Junior College were found absent from class for several days. When school staff checked their hostel, they found that the students had packed up and gone to USA!

Apparently these 'smart' students found out that they don't need A level results to gain entry into US universities. They secretly applied for an American University. When they got accepted by one, bought their air-tickets and then run!

What can the Singapore Government do? Sue them? Recover our money? They were not bonded woh.

Actually, just track them on FB, find out the USA University, and then write the University an email detailing the ethics of their new china students...

Actually, just track them on FB, find out the USA University, and then write the University an email detailing the ethics of their new china students...

.... ...get them back to Singapore with their tails between their legs ............ then snip them off ......... :devil:

Last edited:
runaway lor, wat liew, your all very free minding people business...

.... free lor .... come to Kopitiam to TCSS mah .......

If a person is not interested in contributing, bond will not help either. Person here, mind somewhere else. Singapore must have the attraction to secure the right people. It is just like a soccer team, you buy the best and most expensive player but he is always 'injured' and sits on the bench. I would rather have a S-League player running around the field.

If a person is not interested in contributing, bond will not help either. Person here, mind somewhere else. Singapore must have the attraction to secure the right people. It is just like a soccer team, you buy the best and most expensive player but he is always 'injured' and sits on the bench. I would rather have a S-League player running around the field.

Best answer so far.. apparently.. US is more attractive to live.. I guess its because the work life balance and vast landscape..
Yes.. let the million dollar club rethink the strategy to attract people

Hire Agent 47 to arrange "accidents" for them?

I think the concept of a bond is artificial, since the main ethical issue here is always the point that someone else more willing/suitable who would have stayed and not broken any bond/gentleman's agreement had been deprieved.

Just because someone has a bond to pay back doesn't quite vindicate them, in my book. There are other aspects. Though yes, I agree that if the person's heart is not here, it will be a lose-lose situation.

What's new ... Same old issue .. it happen everywhere , so get use to it and stop blaming the government.

Best answer so far.. apparently.. US is more attractive to live.. I guess its because the work life balance and vast landscape..
Yes.. let the million dollar club rethink the strategy to attract people

....last heard that they were setting up another fund for Indian Scholars ......... Yi Bo Wei Ping Yi Bo You Qi ............. :p

I think the concept of a bond is artificial, since the main ethical issue here is always the point that someone else more willing/suitable who would have stayed and not broken any bond/gentleman's agreement had been deprieved.

Just because someone has a bond to pay back doesn't quite vindicate them, in my book. There are other aspects. Though yes, I agree that if the person's heart is not here, it will be a lose-lose situation.

.... can't just let them off so easy ....... Is there a lesson to learn from all this?

I think if never graduate, no need to repay the MOE bond. Even after graduate, the bond never say must serve immediately, can go overseas work for 30 years first then come back and serve.

PRC people have this fixation about USA. It is passed down the genes through generations from ancestors who fantasised about America/San Francisco - Jin Shan, 金山literally meaning Mountain of Gold. http://chineselaundry.wordpress.com/
They will pick USA over Singapore anytime.

USA is a bigger country and compared to Singapore, there are more opportunities for the PRC students. If they are brilliant, they hope to work for the Fortune 100 companies.

Last edited:
Is this story recent?

money can't buy love. mini star think, "I get paid a lot, that's why I love the people " . hence just sponsor the scholars generously, they will love our country. not even war time they already run away. . . .

money can't buy love. mini star think, "I get paid a lot, that's why I love the people " . hence just sponsor the scholars generously, they will love our country. not even war time they already run away. . . .

LoL.. everyday is wartime.. must fight in school.. job hunting.. in office.. going to office also fight with auntie..
even lunchtime must chope the table.. :bsmilie: