Run in with security

UncleFai

Mar 10, 2010
Singapore
I was snapping photos of my new place's surrounding off my own balcony. Then heard some shouting. Turns out to be the security of a neighbouring condo. He starting snapping photos of me. When I went to talk to him, he claims he was protecting his residents and that I was pointing my camera at his condo (which I was not). Then he says he will make a police report. I guess I have to do so too to clear my name.

Taking photos from one's balcony also cannot meh? :S

let the police come, than show the police what you took from your balcony,
and you do this three time a day, till the police tell security guard to mind his own business.

I was snapping photos of my new place's surrounding off my own balcony. Then heard some shouting. Turns out to be the security of a neighbouring condo. He starting snapping photos of me. When I went to talk to him, he claims he was protecting his residents and that I was pointing my camera at his condo (which I was not). Then he says he will make a police report. I guess I have to do so too to clear my name.

Don't worry about him

You don't need to do anything. The guard don't know what he's doing, protacting his residents? from what?

Security guard will need to inform their head office and the condo's management before making police report, both will likely stop him.

Police will not take any action as no crime was committed.

Police will usually ask the security guard to inform the conco'd management to handle as this is a private matter.

No worries

Can't blame the security as everyone and everywhere are getting jittery about people with cameras after 9/11.

overzealous security personnel :)

:bsmilie: the guard is just doing his job. If I am a resident of the condo, I will thank the guard for doing his job.

Just imagine your condo's guard just sitting there and doing nothing when there's a stranger pointing a camera in the direction of your home. I'll feel uncomfortable if my wife/girlfriend/daughter(or mother) dressed skimply at home and I'll be thinking the opposite photographer is trying something funny (taking photos of unsuspecting women and loading onto scanky websites)

even if you are a male, the photogaper may be taking photos of you and loading them onto homo websitesv:bsmilie:

so always put yourself in the shoes of the other party, then consider your own actions. then you will be happier :)

cheers everyone

Remember:

Secuirty gaurd has NO AUTHORITY to stop you from taking pics
Secuirty gaurd has NO RIGHT to view your pics in your camera
Secuirty gaurd has NO POWER to demand your pics to be deleted

Remember:

Secuirty gaurd has NO AUTHORITY to stop you from taking pics
Secuirty gaurd has NO RIGHT to view your pics in your camera
Secuirty gaurd has NO POWER to demand your pics to be deleted

[video=youtube;YMSG8iJLedE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMSG8iJLedE&feature=related[/video]

:bsmilie:

i have taken pictures of parliament house before. created funny shots out of them. posted them online. yet i'm still here.

condo? just another over-zealous security guard :bsmilie:

Being over-zealous doesn't mean that the guard is doing his job. If he doesn't know his responsibilities and scope of his authority, he is negligent in his duties.

Last edited:
nedy77 said:
:bsmilie: the guard is just doing his job. If I am a resident of the condo, I will thank the guard for doing his job.

Just imagine your condo's guard just sitting there and doing nothing when there's a stranger pointing a camera in the direction of your home. I'll feel uncomfortable if my wife/girlfriend/daughter(or mother) dressed skimply at home and I'll be thinking the opposite photographer is trying something funny (taking photos of unsuspecting women and loading onto scanky websites)

even if you are a male, the photogaper may be taking photos of you and loading them onto homo websitesv:bsmilie:

so always put yourself in the shoes of the other party, then consider your own actions. then you will be happier :)

cheers everyone

Oh my goodness.
I can't believe someone can actually condone the security guard's actions.
It's one thing to be concerned that your residents' rights may be violated, but it's another thing altogether to over-step the limits of your authority.

Of course you can take photos from your balcony.

But don't forget, he also can take photos of you.. As to whether he is right or wrong, it's not important, everyone has the right to take photos in your account here. He also can make police report if he thinks there is cause, and if you have done nothing wrong, there is nothing to fear.

cheers everyone

Reminds me of women who sunbathe topless & yet get "offended" if their pictures are taken. If we are not embarassed about our dressing, why should we feel embarassed if others take our photos? Better close the windows or pull the blinds. If one is not careful, photos may be taken & published in newspapers or even reported to the police as offensive to the eyes, obscene especially if viewed by children as has happened before. If nothing embarssing or offensive who wants to post something "funny", there are enough "funny" pics already on the net. Perfectly normal pics of person can also be doctored to appear "funny". Condo so what, only Condos entitled to privacy? Such residents or guards must be really paranoid if thats the case...

Last edited:
Of course you can take photos from your balcony.

But don't forget, he also can take photos of you.. As to whether he is right or wrong, it's not important, everyone has the right to take photos in your account here. He also can make police report if he thinks there is cause, and if you have done nothing wrong, there is nothing to fear.

Thank you for everyone's advice and support.

I have done nothing wrong. So I decided to let his horse come. Meanwhile, will continue with my balcony photography. Of coz will now bear in mind sensitivities.

This incident brought up an interesting question: in Singapore, what can and cannot be photographed?

When I was young many many many moons ago, friends and I in NCC were snapping happily in an army camp. Then kena stopped by a MP who ripped the negative out. We were young then so we blur blur don't know how to react. Anyway, till today, I think we were in the wrong. So nothing to say.

But if I am in my own home (or in a friend's house) or a public place, then are there some rules to forbid me from snapping at a distance object/person? I accept that if it is seedy stuff like upskirt etc, then of course it is a violation of someone's modesty. And, I always felt that if someone tells me "don't shoot me" - it is a matter of courtesy that I should not. But what does the law say? Any legal expert out there?

http://www.***********.com.sg/forum...phy-in-Public-and-Private-Places-in-Singapore
I have actually done a slight research on this.however, what I am about to say is not a legal advice but mere reflection of what I can infer from information from net.
Firstly, in the case of photography in military camps or secure areas are strictly prohibited. There are sufficient signs in the designated area that indicate no photography is allowed.
Secondly, for where is allowed for photography please refer to the link above.
Thirdly, if I am not wrong, as long as you can in a public space any thing in sight are allowed to be photographed.
In the case of photographing authorised security personal, there is ambiguity in the law. As there is nothing in the law that says you are not allowed( provided you are in public property). How it works in places elsewhere is that they are allowed to delete your photos without a court order. However, like I said" elsewhere".
Last bug not least, anything in public view is fair game as long as you do not harass I.e. Go up to the persons face and spam or result in outrage of modesty.
Perhaps any legal advisors care to clarify or affirm my statements?

Question - let's say the balcony is facing the opp condo pool And got bikini babes enjoying and sunbath - is that ok to take out the telephoto and snap ?

Technically yes... But you may be labelled as tiko...once again this jus my opinion

Can't blame the security as everyone and everywhere are getting jittery about people with cameras after 9/11.

As an American I take issue with your comment. That excuse has been used by politicians in the US and the rest of the world for a DECADE to take people's rights away and suppress a religion! How are people with cameras tied to 9/11 anyway? Cameras didn't bring the towers down, 2 fully loaded airliners piloted by freaks did.
The Taliban even banned kite flying. Yes, let's become just like them because that way they won't hurt us.

Tyrov said:
As an American I take issue with your comment. That excuse has been used by politicians in the US and the rest of the world for a DECADE to take people's rights away and suppress a religion! How are people with cameras tied to 9/11 anyway? Cameras didn't bring the towers down, 2 fully loaded airliners piloted by freaks did.
The Taliban even banned kite flying. Yes, let's become just like them because that way they won't hurt us.

Thumbs up. I was living there when it happened and I still do not believe in the patriot act and other BS the politicians come up with.