[Rumours] Oly-Kodak Sensor Partnership?

i read about it in other forums as well.
i was just wondering, why are there such excitement in Kodak sensors? as in how are they better or more powerful in any sense. can someone enlighten me?
i do heard of very good comments from users of the old Kodak dSLR.
thank you in advance.

I hope its true too... Probably cause the E-1 has a FT CCD sensor in it from Kodak,hahahha

I hope its true too... Probably cause the E-1 has a FT CCD sensor in it from Kodak,hahahha

E-1 sensor very good? I remember someone (can't remember who) told me before the colors are good.
I also recall one old man telling me about his old Kodak dSLR and how powerful it is at low ISO.

E-1 sensor very good? I remember someone (can't remember who) told me before the colors are good.
I also recall one old man telling me about his old Kodak dSLR and how powerful it is at low ISO.

E-1 sensor is good cause of the colours and the best I've seen from my DSLRs so far

E-1 sensor is good cause of the colours and the best I've seen from my DSLRs so far

Thanks. Well, i certainly hope the partnership can give us something good, hopefully at affordable prices as well.

Well, we won't be seeing a Kodak sensor anytimes soon on m4/3 because they are all CCD.

Maybe Fuji or Sigma from the article, but anything goes really.

I would imagine Panasonic is working on its next generation sensor, and I would hope that the GF2 or something gets that sensor.

Well, we won't be seeing a Kodak sensor anytimes soon on m4/3 because they are all CCD.

Maybe Fuji or Sigma from the article, but anything goes really.

I would imagine Panasonic is working on its next generation sensor, and I would hope that the GF2 or something gets that sensor.

Well... who knows? Maybe the already have a prototype live MOS sensor in their labs? :bsmilie:

Well... who knows? Maybe the already have a prototype live MOS sensor in their labs? :bsmilie:

Better Be. I didn't spend 4K on this damn system only to have it rot.

You could always use it and not let it rot :bsmilie:

I am.

Just that I would like to think there's only something better coming and not stagnation :p

as in how are they better or more powerful in any sense. can someone enlighten me?
i do heard of very good comments from users of the old Kodak dSLR.
thank you in advance.

Kodak makes the best sensor if not THE BEST. :heart: Interesting isn't it? How a film maker now becomes a no.1 in CCD sensor.

Research labs & researchers all over the world mainly use CCDs, many from Kodak. Astronomers imaging acquisition use Kodak CCD most of the time (not cam hobbyists that mount their Canon on telescopes), Medium Format digital backs use Kodak, Leica digital back for R8 & R9 (DMR 1?) use Kodak including M8 & M9. Need i say more? :lovegrin:

spidey89 said:
Half right. The CCDs give better signal fidelity than CMOS/NMOS/PMOS, the DSP behind still plays a very important role. E300 & E500 also used the FFT CCD but u look at their output, not quite there with the E1. The E1 has some powerful processing going on behind. :thumbsup:

Oly has been toying with other sensors for a long time, so i dun think the Super CCD & Foveon is any news at all. But i'll be very happy even if Oly adopted the Sony SuperHAD CCD II for their next flagship, & not Kodak.

However, looking at the rumours, it said Kodak is likely going to make a new type of CMOS for Oly. So its to everyone guess how it'll turn out compared to Panny. Hmm.... Looks like Big Bro is going to be angry. :sweat: But wait!! Oly can still partner with Panny sensor for their lower end models, esp the PENs. :angel: Got that one right didn't i? HAHAHAHA!!!

E-300 and E-500 colours output are pretty great in good lighting. You mean E-1 is even better?
Never had a chance to try the E-1, it was no longer available when I ventured into DSLRs.
Anyone can loan me an E-1 to play with?

Why not? If Kodak uses their new pixel pattern instead of the Bayer arrangement, the sensor will be 2x-4x more sensitive compared to ANY current sensor that uses the Bayer arrangement.

Having both an E-300 and E-330, I'd look forward to seeing the CCD back again...other than my NMOS based E-330's live view feature, I prefer the images from my CCD based E-300!

A typical sensor has a RGBG (Red, Green, Blue, Green, yes there's double the green pixels) arrangement, the new Kodak arrangement adds colourless pixels which increases light sensitivity.

As for Fuji's "Super CCD EXR" while it doesn't use the Bayer pattern, it still uses an RGBG arrangement, it's just a different arrangement of the colours.

Why not? If Kodak uses their new pixel pattern instead of the Bayer arrangement, the sensor will be 2x-4x more sensitive compared to ANY current sensor that uses the Bayer arrangement.

Having both an E-300 and E-330, I'd look forward to seeing the CCD back again...other than my NMOS based E-330's live view feature, I prefer the images from my CCD based E-300!

A typical sensor has a RGBG (Red, Green, Blue, Green, yes there's double the green pixels) arrangement, the new Kodak arrangement adds colourless pixels which increases light sensitivity.

As for Fuji's "Super CCD EXR" while it doesn't use the Bayer pattern, it still uses an RGBG arrangement, it's just a different arrangement of the colours.

Well, that would imply that m4/3 cameras with CCD sensors won't have live view.

4/3s have no issues with that since there's a viewfinder.

Kodak makes the best sensor if not THE BEST. :heart: Interesting isn't it? How a film maker now becomes a no.1 in CCD sensor.

Research labs & researchers all over the world mainly use CCDs, many from Kodak. Astronomers imaging acquisition use Kodak CCD most of the time (not cam hobbyists that mount their Canon on telescopes), Medium Format digital backs use Kodak, Leica digital back for R8 & R9 (DMR 1?) use Kodak including M8 & M9. Need i say more? :lovegrin:

just being curious, how did you came to the conclusion of Kodak making the best sensors?

being a researcher and astro lover myself, i can tell you that most people don't really care about who makes the sensor, as long as they suit the purpose and is available. if sony does makes sensors for lab equipment and astro work, people could also have bought them as well, since they are available. so its more of an issue of what is available rather than the consumers chose Kodak. the same issue maybe the case for digital backs and digital leicas, since Kodak themselves are supplier for sensors rather than giants in camera-making (compared to canon, nikon, sony) currently. therefore, the use of Kodak sensors in the equipment u stated, could have been just an issue of availabilty and who is willing to make it at a price agreeable, therefore does not mean that Kodak sensors are better or more superior simply because it appeared in those equipment u stated, IMHO. take note that i am not trying to say that Kodak sensors are no good, just that i feel if one wants to say that Kodak makes the best sensors, evidence of them being the best should not comes from which manufacturer uses them, because such parameters are highly variable due to influences from business sense. i hope you take no offense to my opinion, just wish to be more neutral here and show another point of view.

actually to be frank, as long as Kodak is able to make sensors for olympus that are comparable or better (in terms of perhaps ISO, colors, etc) than what the market currently offers, at affordable prices as well, i would be happy to invest in a set to try it out. because things like technology moves fast, its really hard to tell who is the best. but at the consumer side, i can only compare to see which models gives more pleasing output and make my choice of purchase. it will be really interesting to see what this partnership can offer to consumers.

Last edited:
I am.

Just that I would like to think there's only something better coming and not stagnation :p
:bsmilie: Hope this coming camera is what you want then :)

Well, that would imply that m4/3 cameras with CCD sensors won't have live view.

4/3s have no issues with that since there's a viewfinder.

But most people have been "spoilt" with having live view,so don't think not having a live view is an option for most people

if sony does makes sensors for lab equipment and astro work, people could also have bought them as well, since they are available.

SONY??? Sony makes the WORST sensors out there...remember the huge recall a few years ago that affected just about every camera brand and that included Olympus? In case you never heard of this (and how many camera makes and models that were affected), here's an article about the recall:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/badccds.html