Rumours again ! Pentax DSLR but no FF

The photos looks quite real and looks like a redesigned K-30 (less the sporty angular look). Anyone noticed the DAL 18-55 WR?
There is also a red and white version too.

Last edited:
The body looks like canon shaped

Seems like a k30 with improved af, mayb no AA filter, mayb 14 bit raw and no air lcd

Seems like a k30 with improved af, mayb no AA filter, mayb 14 bit raw and no air lcd

And just for it having AA-less, and slightly improved AF, I MIGHT want to "upgrade".. Hehee!

But I do hope that they'll do DoF preview setting similar to the Kr.. :p

I seriously worry about Pentax. I've so much invested in the Pentax system, but they have no upgrade path to speak of. A full-frame is what we want as users, but we are getting rehashed 16MP models. Mind you, I love my K5 and K30. I just wish I had more options to upgrade. The D600 24MP sensor would be nice, but looks like wishful thinking. I think Ricoh-Pentax cannot afford to licence beyond the 16MP APS-C sensor. Probably paid too much money to Marc Newson to design the K01....

I seriously worry about Pentax. I've so much invested in the Pentax system, but they have no upgrade path to speak of. A full-frame is what we want as users, but we are getting rehashed 16MP models. Mind you, I love my K5 and K30. I just wish I had more options to upgrade. The D600 24MP sensor would be nice, but looks like wishful thinking. I think Ricoh-Pentax cannot afford to licence beyond the 16MP APS-C sensor. Probably paid too much money to Marc Newson to design the K01....

no offence intended..can I ask the reasons why you want a ff? :)

How can Pentax have money?
All we ever buy are their cameras at close-out prices. :D :D

Jokes aside, this is just June and usually the low/mid end camera is announced earlier around this time IIRC.
Personally, I think that sticking to the 16mp sensor may just mean that Pentax has decided that the 16mp is still one of the better sensor options out there for aps-c.
You can see for yourself (from IR and DPR samples) that the 24mp aps-c sensors (both Sony and Toshiba) are not problem free, trading noise/iso for more resolution, and this is only by a bit more over the AA-filterless 16mp.

We don't need to buy every new camera model that Pentax comes up with.
Esp, so nowadays when the cameras are all pretty capable and unlike what they were just 3-4yrs back.

If the lower end model does not interest us, its a given. (its a low end model)
Lets wait and see what this year's high end model will have.

(BTW, all indications based on dialog from Pentax reps at camera shows seem to only say that FF is in development, so I don't think it will be this year)
Of course 'development' can also just mean that and not 'for sale' :D
I'll just shoot film or my "K1" for now.
And also..... 645D 2nd hand price is very good now.... the whole system only needs 3 lenses.
Get one, and no more "mine is bigger than yours issues from Canikony users for the forseeable future" :D

Last edited:
How can Pentax have money?
All we ever buy are their cameras at close-out prices. :D :D

Jokes aside, this is just June and usually the low/mid end camera is announced earlier around this time IIRC.
Personally, I think that sticking to the 16mp sensor may just mean that Pentax has decided that the 16mp is still one of the better sensor options out there for aps-c.
You can see for yourself (from IR and DPR samples) that the 24mp aps-c sensors (both Sony and Toshiba) are not problem free, trading noise/iso for more resolution, and this is only by a bit more over the AA-filterless 16mp.

We don't need to buy every new camera model that Pentax comes up with.
Esp, so nowadays when the cameras are all pretty capable and unlike what they were just 3-4yrs back.

If the lower end model does not interest us, its a given. (its a low end model)
Lets wait and see what this year's high end model will have.

(BTW, all indications based on dialog from Pentax reps at camera shows seem to only say that FF is in development, so I don't think it will be this year)
Of course 'development' can also just mean that and not 'for sale' :D
I'll just shoot film or my "K1" for now.
And also..... 645D 2nd hand price is very good now.... the whole system only needs 3 lenses.
Get one, and no more "mine is bigger than yours issues from Canikony users for the forseeable future" :D

I do not see any reason why FF is a must. APC-S meets more than any requirement. The future trend is towards super compact APC-S camera; light weight and one can shoot in lower light without fear of camera shake. With a FF one really gets tired off very fast and lost the enthusiasm to enjoy good photography. Really how many photographers are professionals and required FF? Can anybody see the difference on a processed photo taken by a FF and a APC-S? I think FF only boost the ego of one handling it and not so much of anything else. Why image equipment maker like Oly still keeps to 4/3 ad not even graduating to APC-S? They think that majority of photographers are hobbyists and only a few are real professionals. So such camera can easily meet or excel in their requirement. Yes a second hand medium format by Pentax would really be good if intend to do commercial photography. It beats a brand new FF easily.

FF is a must... How else can you pull in the crowd?

Different people have different needs and wants, the option must be there.

Simply put, just like in life, if an organization offers you a position in the administrative role with an average yearly increment of $50/yr only and your only way to broaden your experience is by transferring from one dept to another while still having the same position and incentives, will you be happy for years to come?

Think about it... In life, people seek options...

i want the 645D..i think it will make me more cool and look more pro when i do street shooting :)

I do not see any reason why FF is a must. APC-S meets more than any requirement.

1) The future trend is towards super compact APC-S camera; light weight and one can shoot in lower light without fear of camera shake. With a FF one really gets tired off very fast and lost the enthusiasm to enjoy good photography.

2) Really how many photographers are professionals and required FF?

3) Can anybody see the difference on a processed photo taken by a FF and a APC-S? I think FF only boost the ego of one handling it and not so much of anything else.

4) Why image equipment maker like Oly still keeps to 4/3 ad not even graduating to APC-S? They think that majority of photographers are hobbyists and only a few are real professionals. So such camera can easily meet or excel in their requirement.

Yes a second hand medium format by Pentax would really be good if intend to do commercial photography. It beats a brand new FF easily.

Erm...

1) A trend is a trend.. It will pass and come again but the basic must be there, which leads to

2) if the option is not there for one to try, FF, how will we know any one of us could be a professional?

3) don't matter.. I'm pretty sure you see the ratio of wedding photographers uses larger format than APSC is higher than the number who uses APSC and smaller sensor

4) their target market is that, hobbyist. Yes, there are some professionals who uses it also but consider the ratio again

To end off, there's nothing wrong with an individual wanting a FF.. The key problem that we are talking here is, options or upgrade path..

i want the 645D..i think it will make me more cool and look more pro when i do street shooting :)

...... in your case, you might also want to consider a Hasselblad ........ film camera ....... depending on your age ......... it will make you look like a lao chiao ...... :p .....:bsmilie:

no offence intended..can I ask the reasons why you want a ff? :)

I like portraiture and shallow Depth of Field and a nicer larger viewfinder would be nice. Would also be nice to use the 3 Limiteds (31,43,77) on a FF as they were initially designed for. Yes, I have LBA....

I like portraiture and shallow Depth of Field and a nicer larger viewfinder would be nice. Would also be nice to use the 3 Limiteds (31,43,77) on a FF as they were initially designed for. Yes, I have LBA....

I am also looking forward to a FF mainly for that DOF for portraiture. Looking at oceanpriest MF film results (killer DOF). I wanted a 645D too but I already sold one kidney to collect 13 lens so far.

Last edited:
I am also looking forward to a FF mainly for that DOF for portraiture. Looking at oceanpriest MF film results (killer DOF). I wanted a 645D too but I already sold one kidney to collect 13 lens so far.

Exactly... As much as a smaller sensor can do a nice shoot in a studio, just like bro sim4nee has shown with the Q10, I would love to see how he can carry out a razor thin DOF with only one of the subject's eyes in focus with the exact same set up and environment.

As we all know, every lens can achieve the same sharpness, just stop down to f/8 and fire away lor~

Every lens is almost indistinguishable from one another at f/8..

;)

Last edited:
...... in your case, you might also want to consider a Hasselblad ........ film camera ....... depending on your age ......... it will make you look like a lao chiao ...... :p .....:bsmilie:

aiyah, get Linhof lah ...... :p .....:bsmilie:

FF is a must... How else can you pull in the crowd?

Different people have different needs and wants, the option must be there.

Simply put, just like in life, if an organization offers you a position in the administrative role with an average yearly increment of $50/yr only and your only way to broaden your experience is by transferring from one dept to another while still having the same position and incentives, will you be happy for years to come?

Think about it... In life, people seek options...

...Not quite the same thing, since you are assuming that FF is necessarily superior to APS-C.

Even hardcore landscape photographers these days are bringing M4/3 sensors up to mountain treks.

If you need the shallow DOF and large viewfinder and high ISO performance , sure FF is your answer. As always, I'll stick to the line that 95% of hobbyists won't see a difference for their purposes. *shrug*

So at the risk of being selfish, I'd rather Pentax pump in more money into better DR, better performance, better durability, better size, better lenses just for APS-C. It's what I need for landscapes. :)

lao chiao shld use TLR!

Exactly... As much as a smaller sensor can do a nice shoot in a studio, just like bro sim4nee has shown with the Q10, I would love to see how he can carry out a razor thin DOF with only one of the subject's eyes in focus with the exact same set up and environment.

As we all know, every lens can achieve the same sharpness, just stop down to f/8 and fire away lor~

Every lens is almost indistinguishable from one another at f/8..

;)

to me..u show me a pic taken at any aperture..i wld still be never to tell you which lens was used..for that matter of fact..i cant even tell if a pic is taken with a ff, crop or m4/3..so a ff is definitely a waste for me..:)

Last edited: