[Rumor] Nikon Retro Hybrid Mirrorless Camera (FX)

undergrd

Jun 16, 2007
North-East
Seems like Nikon has something coming up to tackle Sony's A7/A7R. It is still rumor, so not sure if it is confirm coming.

Here are some of the specs:
•Standard F-mount
•Pentaprism viewfinder (meaning the camera will not be mirrorless)
•The camera will meter even with non-AI lenses down to full aperture
•The camera will ship with a new special edition Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G lens to match the look/design of the body
•The camera will have physical controls and excellent build quality (which explains the 765g weight)
•Expeed 3 processor
•Same sensor as in the Nikon D4
•Nikon calls it a "hybrid" camera - not sure what exactly they mean with that
•The announcement most likely will take place in the next 1-3 weeks

With the D4 sensor, I guess it is not going to be cheap...

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/10/20/breaking-new-nikon-full-frame-hybrid-mirrorless-camera-coming-soon.aspx/

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/10/20/update-the-new-full-frame-retro-nikon-camera-will-have-f-mount-and-pentaprism.aspx/

Seems like Nikon has something coming up to tackle Sony's A7/A7R. It is still rumor, so not sure if it is confirm coming.

•Standard F-mount
•The camera will ship with a new special edition Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G lens to match the look/design of the body
•The camera will have physical controls and excellent build quality (which explains the 765g weight)
•Expeed 3 processor

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/10/20/b...me-hybrid-mirrorless-camera-coming-soon.aspx/

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/10/20/u...camera-will-have-f-mount-and-pentaprism.aspx/
The D4 sensor is as expensive as any other full-frame sensor. A camera with the D4 sensor should be cheaper than with their 24 and 36 MP sensors because it only needs to process 16 MP files.
I'm not sure what's "hybrid" about this camera. :)

Last edited:
Thread title needs change - it's not "mirrorless".... unless

[guess]
HYBRID = Dual OVF/EVF
Both Canon and Nikon have a couple of dual OVF/EVF patents reported by the usual rumour sites throughout the years.
[/guess]

About D4 pricing:
D4 rattles off 10 images per second I think? This new body is rumoured to do so at 5.5. There is also no mention of the AF system used.

Anyway if Nikon is competitive, this will be priced below the D610 as an FX option for people who prefer some compactness, do with slightly lower performance and can do without weather-sealing, dual AF-cards, etc.

However Nikon has a tendency to premium-price some of their stuff, such as they are doing with the 1-system. :(

If this is priced sufficiently lower than a D610, it'll replace that on my shopping list.

Thread title needs change - it's not "mirrorless".... unless

[guess]
HYBRID = Dual OVF/EVF
Both Canon and Nikon have a couple of dual OVF/EVF patents reported by the usual rumour sites throughout the years.
[/guess]

About D4 pricing:
D4 rattles off 10 images per second I think? This new body is rumoured to do so at 5.5. There is also no mention of the AF system used.

Anyway if Nikon is competitive, this will be priced below the D610 as an FX option for people who prefer some compactness, do with slightly lower performance and can do without weather-sealing, dual AF-cards, etc.

However Nikon has a tendency to premium-price some of their stuff, such as they are doing with the 1-system. :(

If this is priced sufficiently lower than a D610, it'll replace that on my shopping list.
Doubt it, I rather think they added their Nikon 1 PDAF to their 16MP sensor for live-view. ;) I guess we will see next week... :)

•Standard F-mount
•Expeed 3 processor

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/10/20/breaking-new-nikon-full-frame-hybrid-mirrorless-camera-coming-soon.aspx/

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/10/20/update-the-new-full-frame-retro-nikon-camera-will-have-f-mount-and-pentaprism.aspx/

If this is true, its not even in the same league as the Sonys in the resolution department.

If this is true, its not even in the same league as the Sonys in the resolution department.
Hopefully it has at least usable AF compared to the Sony ones.

Last edited:

While I don't really mind the 16MP, Sony a7 is 24MP at 5 fps and a7r is 36MP at 4fps. Hope Nikon can either beat them by significant price difference or provide some major technological breakthrough. But I will definitely be looking forward to this news, have been wanting a FF with a light body.

While I don't really mind the 16MP, Sony a7 is 24MP at 5 fps and a7r is 36MP at 4fps. Hope Nikon can either beat them by significant price difference or provide some major technological breakthrough. But I will definitely be looking forward to this news, have been wanting a FF with a light body.
5 and 4 fps are only without AF. If you're after a light body this camera isn't for you.

5 and 4 fps are only without AF. If you're after a light body this camera isn't for you.

Hmm abt weight of D600 without batt? if really 765g..el14 n el15 bout same weight..so i guess rather gd guage..

Last edited:
The question doesn't make any sense.

My exact same sentiments since already said its FF cam and f-mount of course can mount FF lens rite..

bt then given Nikon's recent 'weird' and unpopular moves esp w D600&D610 you cant b too sure..lol

As already mentioned, I also think hybrid might refer to both EVF/OVF as well as possibly on-sensor PDAF ala Nikon 1.
Given the 5.5 fps I think the mirror's still there but I'd bet full resolution frame rates are significantly higher with the mirror flipped up.
The Nikon V2 can shoot 15fps using on-sensor PDAF with full tracking. It'll also max out at 60fps on full 14mp resolution. That's a lot of bandwidth to push through (more than the D4 or D800). If the on-sensor PDAF tech is ready for prime time FF sensors, then this should be very exciting. But I suspect it might not make this round of product launches but if so, expect a high price.
It'll be an exciting product I think but a premium one though.

perhaps a X-Pro1 styled Hybrid OVF. but Full Frame.

since Nikon and Fujifilm used to share lens mounts, i wonder if there was some secret partnership recently :p

I hope hybrid doesn't refer to the VF, especially not if it's something switchable. I think that's rather a waste. I prefer to have either a high quality EVF or a great OVF only.

Make it FM2 / FM3a SLR / Nikon S Rangefinder Build Quality and I'll buy it regardless of the cost !!! :)

Cant wait.... best Nikon rumour for me since the days of F100, FM3a and more recent 24 1.4 Nikkor and D3S upgrade!

Hope hybrid dnt mean neither here nor there..lol

Nikon beat sony already for me. not on price or tech, just the plain old pentaprism.