Rules for the Esplanade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rumraisin

Jan 18, 2002
Visit site
I know the last thread is closed but I just need to say that I think there was a misunderstanding.

There is actually NO dress code for the Esplanade or anything like that. As far as I know.

It's just that the Life! section did a whole issue with their take on how you should dress/ behave etc when going to the theatre, trying to be clever.

Having the Esplanade is a decent move in generating more interest and awareness in the performing arts (am I using the right terms?), still we have a long way to go...anyway it's a 'start'! ;)

lol well at least HERE it has garnered plenty of attention...

fyi regarding photography,

No photography is allowed within the centre as we have to protect the artists' copyrights of the visual arts displays and flash photography does damage artworks.

For the external areas, photography is allowed with permission from the Marcoms Dept. There shouldn't be much of a problem if it is strictly for personal use. However, if it is for commercial use, we will then have to review on a case by case basis and advise accordingly.

from Corporate <corporate@esplanade.com>

Originally posted by AdamGoi
Having the Esplanade is a decent move in generating more interest and awareness in the performing arts (am I using the right terms?), still we have a long way to go...anyway it's a 'start'! ;)

actually in my view, it is a JUMP START, something of an "instant art culture" quick fix.

with the smaller and medium sized production houses still working hard to gain a good footing, who do you think can really afford the esplanade ? (probably foreigners) I was just shooting for wild rice recently when lim yu beng was saying over the phone QUOTE "esplanade ? that place is too expensive larr"

Probably in the same mind set of the government's campaign, just campaign campaign and things will be solved even without enough foundation work ?

rgs

Originally posted by Jimmy Liew
fyi regarding photography,

from Corporate <corporate@esplanade.com>

Jimmy, thanks for the post.

I take it that they expect every single tourists to report and get a permission slip before photographing? Well, that says so much about the management team.

Btw, this is the first public building that I've come acrossed that requires permission to shoot from the outside.

Originally posted by rueyloon

actually in my view, it is a JUMP START, something of an "instant art culture" quick fix.

with the smaller and medium sized production houses still working hard to gain a good footing, who do you think can really afford the esplanade ? (probably foreigners) I was just shooting for wild rice recently when lim yu beng was saying over the phone QUOTE "esplanade ? that place is too expensive larr"

Probably in the same mind set of the government's campaign, just campaign campaign and things will be solved even without enough foundation work ?

rgs

RL, agree with you about the lack of foundation. Its like getting an F5 to shoot your first roll of film, hoping that you get instant winner.

Originally posted by Kit

Jimmy, thanks for the post.

I take it that they expect every single tourists to report and get a permission slip before photographing? Well, that says so much about the management team.

Btw, this is the first public building that I've come acrossed that requires permission to shoot from the outside.

Actually, you CAN shoot from the outside, they don't care. But once you get onto the rooftop terrace, you are forbidden from shooting the building (dunno if they will stop you from shooting the panoramic view of the skyline/merlion).

That's the part I can never understand. Shoot from outside building, can. Shoot from inside building compounds, cannot. Shoot from courtyard, no problems also.

RL, agree with you about the lack of foundation. Its like getting an F5 to shoot your first roll of film, hoping that you get instant winner.
Nah, you need a Leica to get instant winners. :D

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

Actually, you CAN shoot from the outside, they don't care. But once you get onto the rooftop terrace, you are forbidden from shooting the building (dunno if they will stop you from shooting the panoramic view of the skyline/merlion).

That's the part I can never understand. Shoot from outside building, can. Shoot from inside building compounds, cannot. Shoot from courtyard, no problems also.

Nah, you need a Leica to get instant winners. :D

Regards
CK

Ok fair enough. They probably can't draw the line where open spaces starts and ends, especially the gray areas.

with the smaller and medium sized production houses still working hard to gain a good footing, who do you think can really afford the esplanade ?

besides the cost of the place, they are also concern about the content and the history of the group booking. before getting a spot, you'll need to submit details of the performance and also recordings/samples of ur pasts. but, sometimes if you have the right contacts and the $$...you'll still get ur spot.

besides the cost of the place, they are also concern about the content and the history of the group booking. before getting a spot, you'll need to submit details of the performance and also recordings/samples of ur pasts. but, sometimes if you have the right contacts and the $$...you'll still get ur spot.

Yes, you said having $$$. That's something most artists have to come to terms with. Heard of the "starving artist"?

600 million could have been used to do so much more to promote art than to build 2 shells.

600 million could have been used to do so much more to promote art than to build 2 shells.

aiya...give them a break...those two thorny buildings have their uses besides promoting arts. it oso brings in tourism $$...plus give work to xx number of people...working in it...working to bring people in..etc etc...

since its already built...might as well go and enjoy using it...:D

go take photographs...kenna thrown out or what...still fun mah.

haha can we book something cheap and then go around doing "official" shots with placebo actors?

aiya...give them a break...those two thorny buildings have their uses besides promoting arts. it oso brings in tourism $$...plus give work to xx number of people...working in it...working to bring people in..etc etc...

Haha......... that's a very optimistic way of seeing it.:D But too bad, I can't say the same for local artists though.

About the thorny thing. If you look at them from a certain angle, they actually look HORNY.:D

Originally posted by Kit
About the thorny thing. If you look at them from a certain angle, they actually look HORNY.:D

And if some dare-devil-prankster is dare enuff to go put up to lil dome/cone on the two durians...it will also look like something madonna will wear....

i think having the esplanade is a great idea....the tourism rate in singapore will sure increase....

Originally posted by AdamGoi
Having the Esplanade is a decent move in generating more interest and awareness in the performing arts ... anyway it's a 'start'!...

for the RICH only.

Status
Not open for further replies.