Rules for concert photo shoot.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpenza

Jan 18, 2002
Singapore
www.instagram.com
Just back from a concert at Indoor Stadium and shot with the Fujifilm S602Z and Nikon SB80DX. Learnt that they have rather funny rules....

1. cameras that look professional are not allowed (first of the duty staff told me mine's looked professional and may not be allowed);

2. long zoom lens not allowed (someone told me to "reduce" my zoom when I had the B300 attached. He didn't know that I can't "pull back" the teleconverter. Also threatened to confiscate my roll of film-does he have the right?);

3. big attachments also not allowed (a few other duty stuff frowned upon my attached B300).

But camera with external flash is allowed. I initially thought that a big external flash would be frowned upon but not so ;p Had to fire off the flash at full power, else can't reach the singers (I was seated maybe >20m from the nearest part of the stage)

F4 concert??

why professional looking camera and long zoom lens not allowed??

may be they scare that the photo turn out too nice....and u can make $$ by selling the photo???

yup, F4 concert.

could be. saw 2 official photographers - one was using an SLR and the 2nd a Sony F707 or 717....

Originally posted by mpenza
yup, F4 concert.

could be. saw 2 official photographers - one was using an SLR and the 2nd a Sony F707 or 717....

wah F4 concert's photography dept so cheapskate? only an SLR and a prosumer digicam?!:eek: :what: :dunno:

no wonder that time at Aaron's concert, they ask me not to shoot..me using SLR, but that time dunno why they never stop others..oni stop me.......

think next time i get a digital cam , looks like p&S but works like Pro cam....got such a cam?

a question, for the concerts, is it stated clearly

a. on the tickets
b. by the owners of the venues (eg indoor stadium)

that photography is not allowed or at the disgression of the organisers.

if yes, maybe the tickets would not be bought in the first place.

If not, does the organisers have the rights to stop people from taking photographs (regardless of the types of cameras being used)?

not too sure about tickets, but they have signboards stating no photography at the indoor stadium and other concert venues. Hong Kong though is totally different (at least for pop concert). I've seen all sorts of cameras at the two concerts I went.

from those concerts i went...
hmm..for chinese pop...normally stated cannot take photos...but normally they do not stop those with P&S cam, digital cam...

cos eventually, if the reporters write on the papers that the audience were not rushing towards the pop idol.......then does not bode well for the singer cos pp wld think that singer not popular so no one interested to go after him/her...

so far oni that concert by LeeHom enforce no photography , cameras are really not allowed cos got check when u go in...

ORR! now i get it!

if the fans have the $$$ for long long lens (think 300mm ++) then they wouldn't be chasing the idols... instead they'd be far far away SNIPING at them! :bsmilie:

yah lor...like me "snipe" at Sammi without rushing...but then cannot sit too far away cos 300mm (my max) not enough ahhh.....
so every time must sit 1st row then get good closeup pics else sure blocked by someone's head ......!#@$ :p

so far my best concert photos are at sammi concert......1st row + 70-300mm lens....:)
Look at Sammi Concert

Never really understood the no photography rules. They must have some reason... but I wonder what exactly is that?

Originally posted by mpenza
not too sure about tickets, but they have signboards stating no photography at the indoor stadium and other concert venues. Hong Kong though is totally different (at least for pop concert). I've seen all sorts of cameras at the two concerts I went.

ok, its like the case of the national stadium - you only know when you reach the stadium that you are not allowed to bring in your own drinks for safety reasons (probably back in the good old days, bottles are made of glass and such a ruling needs to be enforced), but you can still buy drinks from the stadium.

hey, even the indoor stadium has such a ruling, but the reason is that you may dirty their seats.

the reason for not allowing cameras is probably flash photography would distract/disturb others from enjoying the performance.

as not everybody may know of the ruling, the lesson learned is bring in the equipemnt at your own risk ....

Originally posted by iceman

ok, its like the case of the national stadium - you only know when you reach the stadium that you are not allowed to bring in your own drinks for safety reasons (probably back in the good old days, bottles are made of glass and such a ruling needs to be enforced), but you can still buy drinks from the stadium.

hey, even the indoor stadium has such a ruling, but the reason is that you may dirty their seats.

the reason for not allowing cameras is probably flash photography would distract/disturb others from enjoying the performance.

as not everybody may know of the ruling, the lesson learned is bring in the equipemnt at your own risk ....

i think the stadium want to force pple to buy from the stall inside..and the price for the drink probably much more expensive than outside....

if everyone buy from outside, the stall inside can close down already...this is similar to some cinema also...no food and drink except those bought from the stall at the cinema.

from my experience, it is usually those stage performance that dun allow photography with flash becos it will distrub the performers and also spoil the mood and lighting effects

but for pop concert, photography (even with flash) is usually allowed (or the organiser close one eye), however in such environment, dun think one can take any decent photo with P&S camera ...may be the organiser is filiming the whole concert and will be selling the video as VCD, therefore if there are lots of flash firing, it shows that the singer is popular and there are lots of audience.

why pro camera not allowed? probably the organiser is KS and scare those with pro equipment can make $$ by selling photo taken from concert.

Originally posted by Wai
why pro camera not allowed? probably the organiser is KS and scare those with pro equipment can make $$ by selling photo taken from concert.
Are photographers able to sell photos for $$$ of celebraties without profit-sharing with the artist in the photo??? :dunno:

Any laws against that?

guess it's ok if you dun intend to turn it into a really big business! :bsmilie:

was at jay's concert n oni brought my humble F401z. didnt want to bring my eos33 for safety reasons (from past experiences). but then i saw this young dude slinging a slr around his neck and walking around (maybe he think quite seh). then he bumped into an usher and then kenna nicely warned.

i agree with iceman and baiyun. bring equipment at your own risk. it is best to get an innocent looking digicam that packs a punch. looking for one as well... haha :bsmilie:

Originally posted by Bean
Are photographers able to sell photos for $$$ of celebraties without profit-sharing with the artist in the photo??? :dunno:

Any laws against that?

dunno...cos the photographer owns the copyright mah...

but the profit can easily cover the concert ticket price..

imagine those P&S cam cannot take any decent photo in a concert hall but u can with a powerful zoom....and somemore these photo are exclusive and u won't be able to buy outside...i bet they are willing to pay a high price for these photo...

sometimes the ppl there just full of bs. i was using my cuz's a20 for WWF show in sg, the ass come and say cannot use digital cam coz can take video....:dunno: so i just tell hime we talk after the show. but my uncle using my eos with zoom never kenah hustle.......

weird ppl

but got one guy take video. the security warn him. then 2nd tie he do , the took his tape. :bsmilie:

think its quite funny tho....

I seldom buy drinks at the cinema...i prefer to smuggle in some fries n drinks from macdonalds....:p

Spking of Cinemas...the other time @ bugis parco i saw this guy bringing in a video cam n the usher din even bother to stop or say anything abt it!!!

:eek: :eek:

Just wondering, how could you possibly enjoy the concert when you're so busy snapping at the stars? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.