Rule Of Thirds

MGohzxc

Jun 12, 2010
Singapore
FORTCANNING.jpg

Hello again everyone! :)
Please advice me on this photo. I am trying to achieve the rule of thirds but it seems like something is lacking. Shooting with wide angle, 24mm, ISO 100, f16, Aperture priority mode. Could it be the contrast in the front is not enough hence did not create enough DOF for this photo and this rule of thirds is not working at all? Maybe choice of metering mode is not correct? Please help to advice in simple way so that I can understand better. Thanks :D

Seems like you are viewing it from your eyes and not the "eyes" of the camera. If the subject of interest is the stone entrance, reminds me of this famous quote by Robert Capa:
If Your Pictures Aren't Good Enough, You're Not Close Enough

:)

if your subject is that building structure in the center, i dun think this is rule of thirds.

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/digitalcameras/0,39001469,62062345,00.htm

check this out, though it is for digital camera but the rule is illustrated there..from your pic, it seems the rule has not been applied properly(assuming the object of interest is the stone entrance).
Yeah, the object of interest is the stone entrance. Btw, thanks for the link, I shall read about it. I will try to ask more and learn more during this school holiday. Thank you :)

At f/16, you are not going to get much of DOF. Try a bigger aperture. Beside, you have to focus the bottom to have the background blur.
excuse me...?
f/16 not enough depth of field?

Larger aperture = shorter depth of field
To blur the background (I doubt this was the TS' intention), you use large aperture to achieve short depth of field.

i'm guessing your subject is the archway in the middle?

if so, then maybe you should move much nearer, and take while squating/kneeling, making the archway roughly in the top 1/3 of the picture?

my 2 c.

In my 'honest layman opinion' the Rule of Third(RoT) can be in many shapes or forms. Can be object located in 1/3 of frame, can be eyes at 1/3, can be horizon at 1/3, etc. But why limit yourself to these rules? Break free from them time to time. If you dun mind I've edited the photo as here and this one does it satisfy the RoT?:dunno: Who's to say?

4705865088_087b8f19ba.jpg

sure, the rule isn't really a rule, it's more of a perception by humans that we think that a certain picture is aestatically pleasing.

as a photographer, what you do with your camera and the pictures you take is totally up to you, the rule of thirds is just some guideline for us if we want to follow it.

i'm sure that once in a while, some photos that do not follow such rules or guidelines do turn up in galleries and museums around the world, and i also sometimes don't bother with the "rules".

the best advice i can give you now is to go out and shoot more, gain experience and naturally, you will be able to understand the "rules" better.

=)

In my 'honest layman opinion' the Rule of Third(RoT) can be in many shapes or forms. Can be object located in 1/3 of frame, can be eyes at 1/3, can be horizon at 1/3, etc. But why limit yourself to these rules? Break free from them time to time. If you dun mind I've edited the photo as here and this one does it satisfy the RoT?:dunno: Who's to say?

Its beautiful ! :D

Its beautiful ! :D

Thx but a bit over flattering. I'm still learning also everyday. Always remember to experiment with more angles and create your own styles;) Like Master Bruce Lee said, "Be like the nature of Water! It flows, it can take any shape or form, it is soft and yet it can break a rock":bigeyes:

I think this is more interesting.:thumbsup:
Different eyes....

When you changed the format of the pic, I feel that another rule is accentuated: leading lines ;)
Now when I see it, I feel like it's leading me to the doorway. It's present in the first pic but somehow I don't find my eyes being led to the doorway.

Is it my imagination... or did you change the contrast? :think:

When you changed the format of the pic, I feel that another rule is accentuated: leading lines ;)
Now when I see it, I feel like it's leading me to the doorway. It's present in the first pic but somehow I don't find my eyes being led to the doorway.

Is it my imagination... or did you change the contrast? :think:
Ahem...it's a simple PS trick I did:bsmilie:

Now here's My Rule of Thumb: 20% camera 60% Skills 20% PS :bsmilie: :bsmilie: