Rule of 2/3...is it a must?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Kahuna

Dec 15, 2004
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
I noticed a lot of photography expert recommending the above for good composition....as a results...I have to bear that in mind everytime when I click the shuttle and it causes delay in certain senarios :sweat:

Just to ask gurus here what is your approach in applying the above? Do you always do the 2/3 or it was just a nice to have theory :dunno:

I just came across a site (http://www.elvava.com/haerbin.htm) while carsual surfing and the author posted a lot of photos....and I think it would be much better if the rule of 2/3 applied...do you agree? :p

And so, how will you shoot the same scene with the same people inside if given the same scenario? :think:

think it came from drawing/painting theory
it helps
but don't let it be a rigid rule.
also depends on the subject matter and the ultimate print dimension you will be displaying your shot.
6x6 medium format users can shoot first, then got some freedom t odecide which way they want to crop

The rule of thirds is just a guideline to compose your shot.

By placing the human at the 1/3 rule in the scenery will look better in landscape format.

There aren't any rules. Rule of Thirds is just a principle that can make your photos more interesting. There's no need to adhere to it completely, strictly, or at all.

Big Kahuna said:
I noticed a lot of photography expert recommending the above for good composition....as a results...I have to bear that in mind everytime when I click the shutter and it causes delay in certain scenarios :sweat:

Just to ask gurus here what is your approach in applying the above? Do you always do the 2/3 or it was just a nice to have theory :dunno:

I just came across a site (http://www.elvava.com/haerbin.htm) while casual surfing and the author posted a lot of photos...and I think it would be much better if the rule of 2/3 applied...do you agree? :p

And so, how will you shoot the same scene with the same people inside if given the same scenario? :think:

There are people who prob don't care or don't know of the Rule of Thirds. To them, shooting a record shot of where they went and what did is all that matters.

I apply the Rule of Thirds because I appreciate how it enhances my pics. But that doesn't mean everybody should do the same.

megaweb said:
The rule of thirds is just a guideline to compose your shot.

By placing the human at the 1/3 rule in the scenery will look better in landscape format.
I see u make use of rule of 1/3 on yr avatar....

Caspere said:
Learn it use it.

And when you understand how to apply it sucessfully,....

break it.

And then,

you will probably come back to it!

Sorry for ignorance, what is 2/3? Apply to portrait only?
I always thought full length body shots are nicest, because I don't know how much body to include in the frame, it looks weird to see a person without feet ( old people also do not like to see photo of them with parts of body missing).
I got a view to share, I think if taking portrait shots, should only focus on portraits, I cannot really concentrate on putting alot of subjects in a frame at a time, like the one in the URL link you mentioned, it tries to get the building in the background and people in the foreground. So I always try to stick to taking one subject at a time, the rest are ornaments to the subject. That's my rule at the moment for a newbie.

this "rule" means putting the subject of interest at 1/3 and 2/3 lines of a frame. basically, split the frame into 9 parts with 2 vertical line at 1/3 and 2/3 frame width and 2 horizontal lines at 1/3 and 2/3 frame height. like tic-tac-toe.
however, it is not a hard and fast rule.

There's no such things as a "must" in the art of photography. If even shaky, blurry photos is considered photography art (think LOMO), one must truly think how important are "rules" in photography.

Experiment!

IMHO....

Rule number 1:
BREAK THE RULE! The bottom line is: There are no rules. If an image works, it works; if it doesn't, it doesn't.

Rule number 2:
STOP TALKING AND START TAKING

There is no fixed rules .... :bsmilie:

A rule is just a guide for you to take better pictures .. know it and applied it well before you knows when to bend or break them ... :)

there are many 'rules': diagonal, repeated patterns (isnt patterns repeated already?? :dunno: ) etc etc... all these are guildlines... for ppl who dunno how to start... dunno how to compose shots.. (or start to compose) ... advice is to go ahead and try... take the same pic with these 'rules' in mind... and see what you like... see what is nice... rule of third doesnt always prevail over other composition..

yeah.. i used to only take what i like.. ie with friends, nice scenery, little animals... its only for keepsake... go forth.. take what you like...

It is absolutely true that there are no fixed "rules" in art in general, and photography in particular.

But somehow, most of the images that appear to work seems to apply these rules (whether consciously or not).

I wonder why..........

student said:
It is absolutely true that there are no fixed "rules" in art in general, and photography in particular.

But somehow, most of the images that appear to work seems to apply these rules (whether consciously or not).

I wonder why..........

these 'rules' will aid you in your composition ... hence most often they are the better images ... :sweatsm:

I do have an old book in chinese "sheng mei guang" ... dun know how to translate to english ... this book teaches us to use the rules and why we should used these rules ... :bsmilie: it was intended for artist and not for photographer ... but heck it, ithelps to improve my composition .. :cool:

KNIGHT ONG said:
these 'rules' will aid you in your composition ... hence most often they are the better images ... :sweatsm:

I do have an old book in chinese "sheng mei guang" ... dun know how to translate to english ... this book teaches us to use the rules and why we should used these rules ... :bsmilie: it was intended for artist and not for photographer ... but heck it, ithelps to improve my composition .. :cool:

Wah pro.....:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.