Rubbish for a living.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelloSeattle

Mar 18, 2008
Pasir Ris
www.friendster.com
Rubbish_for_a_living__Two_by_helloseattle.jpg

GoodMorrow, was out taking photos with my friends on a weekend.
When this granny caught my eye.
She was pushing a cart full of cardboard boxes and rubbish
They take these and sell, and they don't get alot
I dislike this extremely, why cant their children take care of them?
Often breaks my heart.

I would like to get feedback on
(1) Composition
(2) Post processing
(3) First thoughts of the photo

I didnt take this with my canon 40D, took it instead with my nikon D80. Kit lens :D

Since the old lady's back is facing us, we couldnt see if its really rubbish.
Would be better if she's coming at you, can see her facial expressions while pushing the cart; so the space on the right may not be necessary.

I see a old lady pushing a cart from the rear. I can't see clearly what's on the cart. Neither can I see her expression. I don't think people can tell much from per body posture because she is facing the front. Also the space left in the photo on the right doesn't seem to contribute much to the meaning of my interpretation of the photo.

Just my 2 cents.

to capture a good shot..maybe u should just GOYA (Get Off Your Ass) ??;p

i didn't really notice the cart until u mentioned it. nice colors though..goes will the mood

as for the "kids taking care of parent" rant, pls note tat there are some older folks who prefer to do wat they do and refused to be locked up at home. Or they can be childless for all you know.

Last edited:

i didn't really notice the cart until u mentioned it. nice colors though..goes will the mood

as for the "kids taking care of parent" rant, pls note tat there are some older folks who prefer to do wat they do and refused to be locked up at home. Or they can be childless for all you know.

that being said, we cannot sweep off the fact that there are lots of such scenarios where kids neglect their parents. its a very sad situation. caring for you parents don't necessarily means "locking them up at home" assuming what they need is security. what they really need coupled with security is affection. I will never let my parents roam around the city collecting empty cans and whatnots, that is not the way these people need to spend their golden age. :(

oh lord, thats some ranting there. On topic: i think either way the colors of this picture is very nice. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Pic too hazy to bring out any feelings or emo. From the back, she looks like a pretty well dressed lady doing her shopping. I don't like her position in the pics, chopped off bags.

theat being said, we cannot sweep off the fact that there are lots of such scenarios where kids neglect their parents. its a very sad situation. caring for you parents don't necessarily means "locking them up at home" assuming what they need is security. what they really need coupled with security is affection. I will never let my parents roam around the city collecting empty cans and whatnots, that is not the way these people need to spend their golden age. :(

oh lord, thats some ranting there. On topic: i think either way the colors of this picture is very nice. :thumbsup:

Well i really agree with you. It's awfully sad when you see this kind of things happening. What made me love this photo is mainly how we perceive things, i take note of the little details, like her wrinkles on her arms, the load she's pushing and stuff. mmhm

i think comparing the 2 photos, i would choose the first one.

to me, i feel that the head of the old lady should be shown in the photo too. to show the expression. it would give the photo more life.

although the photo would be better if the old lady is positioned not so much on the left, i love the color and texture of the 1st photo.

:)

there is not much thought put into the composition here.

and frankly speaking, if i be blunt, "i was sitting down having lunch" is an excuse, no one is going to fault you or even remember you as "the cuckoo who got up to take photos of an old lady halfway through his lunch". simply put, you just didn't have the drive to correct the perspective you took. there is always a choice, it's not as if the situation was like "i was hanging from a 300m cliff with one finger left on the edge".

in any case, the only thing i like here is the color treatment. but you can have the best color treatment in the world, coupled with thoughtless, effortless composition, it is not going to work. cheers.

there is not much thought put into the composition here.

and frankly speaking, if i be blunt, "i was sitting down having lunch" is an excuse, no one is going to fault you or even remember you as "the cuckoo who got up to take photos of an old lady halfway through his lunch". simply put, you just didn't have the drive to correct the perspective you took. there is always a choice, it's not as if the situation was like "i was hanging from a 300m cliff with one finger left on the edge".

in any case, the only thing i like here is the color treatment. but you can have the best color treatment in the world, coupled with thoughtless, effortless composition, it is not going to work. cheers.

Agree, thanks for your views. Mmm well, sometimes i guess expression do play a important role. A very important one. haha, this were one of my old works. When i just got to learn how to use a Dslr! Yay, i like my color treatment too. Maybe i'll work harder off my butt next time :D:D:D

YES I NEED TO GET OFF MY ASS! HAHA ;) Well, people have different views on the kids and parent part. Mmm that's pretty much what i think! ;)

I think it is better when there is an empty space on the right. The composition does well for me. I think pictures with the subjuct usually in the middle is kinda boring because it looks like a tourist shot. This gives off a little touch of sophistication. Besides, the empty space can kinda potray how the "alone" the old lady is without her children beside her and all. Its like an empty void of space which perhaps reflects her very heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.