RSAF Open House at Paya Lebar Airbase

Status
Not open for further replies.

smallaperture

Jan 5, 2004
Catchment Area
Coming soon - 2 and 3 Sep.

For those who love to shoot military birds, get your gear ready for this great event.

Shld be free that time.

Thnx for the heads up!

I'll probably go. After that can hang out in the officer's mess have a couple of cold beers.

For those who have got spyglass :bigeyes: or birding lens, that is to say 500mm or longer, please keep them in your drycab. Such spyglass not allowed inside. Dun forget, inside the airbase, martial law is in force, dun play-play. :nono: ;) ;p

yes, i 2nd that. there are several quite strict rules about photography in such a sensitive area.

prepare to go early as there would be a huge crowd at the base as usual :)

I guess for an open house they will not have classified equipment laying around to prying eyes.

actually they dun allow ppl to shoot across the runway but there is air show at 1040 and 1600 hrs leh. i working inside there can give you guys some head up

show include F16 air show, Guards unit doing some of their ops like underslung and Paya Lebar Airbase Field Defence Sqn doing their assault

terrenyeo said:
actually they dun allow ppl to shoot across the runway but there is air show at 1040 and 1600 hrs leh. i working inside there can give you guys some head up

but cams are allowed on that day right???
remember went there 1, 2 years back, too bad that time no cam so dun noe

Of course, you can bring you biggest dSLR and the entire arsenal of lenses, tripods, flash, etc, just got to read this:

Security Advisory

We want you to have a safe and enjoyable time at the Open House. For your safety, we will be conducting security checks for all visitors to the air base.

In order to have a speedy entry, you are advised:
Not to have sharp object like penknives, paper cutters, etc
You may bring along your cameras, but please note that telephoto lenses that are 500mm and beyond will be prohibited.

[extract from RSAF Open House site]

But never say anything about crop factor or teleconverters, ha!!

smallaperture said:
Of course, you can bring you biggest dSLR and the entire arsenal of lenses, tripods, flash, etc, just got to read this:

Security Advisory

We want you to have a safe and enjoyable time at the Open House. For your safety, we will be conducting security checks for all visitors to the air base.

You may bring along your cameras, but please note that telephoto lenses that are 500mm and beyond will be prohibited.

waileong said:
But never say anything about crop factor or teleconverters, ha!!

I remember that there is a saying: "Do it and don't get caught!"

For me, my biggest or longest arsenal is a 100-300 zoom, even with the crop factor, it goes up to 450mm only, still got some margin below the 500mm limit. :bigeyes: :thumbsup:

I have already shot the Apache before (with my lens and not a SAM :bsmilie: ) and got it posted here.
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=199534

I wonder can I bring a 400mm lens, and 2 pieces of 2x TC? Can stack them up after I gained entry to the airbase.

But then again, I don't have any of the above. :bsmilie:

smallaperture said:

Security Advisory

huggable said:
I wonder can I bring a 400mm lens, and 2 pieces of 2x TC? Can stack them up after I gained entry to the airbase.

But then again, I don't have any of the above. :bsmilie:
Crazy siaz... Any idea what your f.stop will be with the 2 TCs attached? :bsmilie:

Hi guys, Being part of the FDS unit in an air base. Perhaps it'll be good to advise you that the rules should try to be followed. In the event in which a possible security measure is breached, the person can be taken in. If you have intentions to stack TCs on. I'll advise you to declare it. Enquire about it. then if permission is given use it. If not your equipment can be confiscated for the duration of the show or entry may or may not be denied into the air base. Stringent rules are set on air bases ever since the 9 11 incident.

Hope this info is useful

Cheers
Chris

Hi Everybody

I'm definitely going to this Open House, and would like to check if any of you are going too. Maybe we can arrange to go on 2 Sep (Sat). We can meet at Eunos MRT first at say around 8:30 for breakfast first, since the first bus leaves at 9:30am.

Hope that we can arrange something. :D

Regards,
Clipper

ClipperSG said:
Hi Everybody

I'm definitely going to this Open House, and would like to check if any of you are going too. Maybe we can arrange to go on 2 Sep (Sat). We can meet at Eunos MRT first at say around 8:30 for breakfast first, since the first bus leaves at 9:30am.

Hope that we can arrange something. :D

Regards,
Clipper

Sounds like a GREAT idea. I'm in.

Hopefully can go up real close to the birds and snap em.

Gimme a PM or ring or something closer to the day. PS, I love your avatar. Mirage 2000?

Defence Minister just inaugurated the Apache squadron. We are gonna to see the Apache in a flypass in this NDP liao. So, get your gear ready for the shoot.

Anyone know a good location to shoot from? And the timing? A place that is not too crowded and convenient? The flight path of the bird?

Will there be any aerial displays?
Or just static a/c on display?
Or nothing at all ?

Status
Not open for further replies.