RS-7 Black Rapid Fastener Gave Way

baggiolee

Dec 7, 2006
www.facebook.com
during the IT show, my friend dropped his 60D with 24-70 and flash on when it happened. the bottom part of the flash was snapped and the hoya filter on the lens was unable to take out. luckily, no other major damage visibly.

suspected the fastener self unscrew when squeeze through the large crowds.

anyone wiith similar black rapid, screw on fastener type of strap, please check the fastener once in a while. even though it's common sense but many of us may neglect it when busy shooting.

That is a reason why many R strap users DIY their own failsafe.
Also when attaching the fasterner, make sure you wet the rubber on the fasterner, then squeeze as tight as you can onto the tripod mount. That is also the same recommendation given by the staff at Black rapid. This is to make sure you get the maximum tightness on the fasterner.

This is mine:
4391455857_60ba699e4b_z.jpg

Apart from the fasterner coming off, you might want to read up on this as well...
http://www.flickr.com/groups/atlantaguild/discuss/72157618713970625/
Connector coming loose.
3565209514_1cd1e6be94.jpg

Last edited:
Mine is RS-1 and while the ConnectR didn't come off, the fastener on FastenR did come off by itself not once but twice. The frequency isn't very often. Like one year once.
However, since day 1, I have added a backup, by adding OP/TECH USA classic strap and clip it on. Both times, the backup was effective with a D700 + 70-200 + MB-D10 + SB-900. So sorry to hear about your friend's case but do have backup next time.

yap thx for the info...my friend is looking to DIY the fail safe. i'm looking into it also...figuring out the best way without compromising the comfort of the grip.

yap thx for the info...my friend is looking to DIY the fail safe. i'm looking into it also...figuring out the best way without compromising the comfort of the grip.

Wah so bad ah,just got my RS7 at the it show last few days.....
gonna take extra care full then as im attaching my D300s with grip plus 24-70....

I've clipped in a second fastener when using with heavy lenses. Hopefully even if one fails, the other should hold.

Just bought this over e weekend, now i kinda regret. Spent $100 but still not able to protect our camera from loosing fastener, a bit scarry

dronell said:
Just bought this over e weekend, now i kinda regret. Spent $100 but still not able to protect our camera from loosing fastener, a bit scarry

The r strap system is not meant to protect your gear but to help you work faster with less burden to your neck. Just add a DIY fail safe and you are good to go.

just to ask r strap system users, what makes this strap so useful as compared to normal neck strap or what made you want to get it in the first place... cos I currently am using a Crumpler Industry Disgrace and dunno is it a BBB syndrom but feel like trying out the r strap system...

it is quite unfortunate that he dropped his camera...

well, even the kit neck strap might break as well.. just got to becareful...

i always check that the fastenR is tightly screwed in all the time

just to ask r strap system users, what makes this strap so useful as compared to normal neck strap or what made you want to get it in the first place... cos I currently am using a Crumpler Industry Disgrace and dunno is it a BBB syndrom but feel like trying out the r strap system...

It hangs on your shoulder and rests at your hip so you can carry heavy equipment without feeling all the weight on your neck. Also because it hangs at the hip so its less conspicuous and you have faster access to it using a quick draw action.

for the faster to the hook a dap of locktie - check hardshops for this it is basically a special glue that ensures the what ever screw is threaded into a socket stay screwed in. Think of it as glue fasten. If you are cheap and well daring superglue may also work. Superglue is removed by acetone -aka nail polish remover.

ellery said:
for the faster to the hook a dap of locktie - check hardshops for this it is basically a special glue that ensures the what ever screw is threaded into a socket stay screwed in. Think of it as glue fasten. If you are cheap and well daring superglue may also work. Superglue is removed by acetone -aka nail polish remover.

So basically it's an adhesive? I don't like the idea of applying adhesive to the base of my camera.

u mean thread locker right? when i used to playing gas powered remote control car, it's a must have to ensure all screws are locked. you just only have to apply a drop or 2 so u can still unscrew it just by hand.

Will it leave any residue after applying the acetone?

you're confusing the 2.
Loctite is a thread-locker which is applied to the threaded portion of the screw.
Basically it is sort of a metal-metal adhesive, which resists the rotation of the screw.
But once some force is applied (eg. screwdriver), the common type of Loctite will break its hold and flake off like powder. It's use-once only. If you are re-tightening the fastener, need to re-apply the Loctite.

Small bottle of Loctite is not expensive, and can be shared between a couple of friends. Not advisable to use super glue :)

Last edited:
you're confusing the 2.
Loctite is a thread-locker which is applied to the threaded portion of the screw.
Basically it is sort of a metal-metal adhesive, which resists the rotation of the screw.
But once some force is applied (eg. screwdriver), the common type of Loctite will break its hold and flake off like powder. It's use-once only. If you are re-tightening the fastener, need to re-apply the Loctite.

Small bottle of Loctite is not expensive, and can be shared between a couple of friends. Not advisable to use super glue :)

Haha you are right, I did confuse the 2. Sounds interesting, might try it out but I have already done the failsafe:)

baggiolee said:
it's juz a liquid tat looks like a syrup. when dry, it'll hold the screw firmly.

Yah,got it mths back during my heli hobby..very useful..