Royal Glory

Neurospark

Oct 4, 2010
Singapore
Hi CSers,

Took this shot while on a ferry ride along the Mekong river in Phnom Penh. Was lucky to have been there in the evening just in time for the sunset. Managed to capture a series of shots while the boat moved past the Royal Palace at a distance when the sun was behind the pagoda. Out of the 6 burst shots I took, this one had the sun right behind the building, producing a beautiful glow. I've posted my Cambodia series in the landscapes /travel section but I would like to post this picture here again for some of your opinions/ viewpoints... Please feel free to leave your C&Cs, including brutally honest ones, as I'd love to learn further. Thank you frens!

PagodaSunset.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Exposure when silhouette effect is intended. I think it works well with this picture but pls do comment if you think otherwise...

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Add this picture to my sunset collection and eventually print a collective album one day

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
As explained above, it was taken along Mekong river during sunset time

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I like this picture pretty much as I find myself lucky to have been there at the right time for the shot but would like to hear if there could be any ways to improve on such shots...

Happy new year to all and thank you very much for dropping by and sharing your views!

I like the colours and I think this makes for a strong image :thumbsup:
I do have issues with the bottom part of the image though...
The silhouette is nice at the top, along the roof and the pagoda itself of course, but the bottom is quite a huge chunk of black nothing-ness. Have you considered cropping it all off? I think that's a boat in the foreground, but it's merged into the blackness.

The pagoda looks SLIGHTLY tilted too.

further to that... I think there's too much empty space in the sky. Suggested to crop it off.
can try redo-ing your processing to have a greater range of tones of orange.

Last edited:
Very nicely framed but would be better if you were to crop off the sea as it leaves the view wondering why is there a huge chunk of space below.

Just my 2cents.

This is a nice shot, I guess you have little time to decide and also have no time to wait for the fore ground to clear, Your pagoda is actually very perpendicular and the roof is also very horizontal. I believe you have crop the side as well, and your intension is also to show the reflection of the sun that why you did not crop the lower portion.
In my opinion its a good shot at a correct time as well.
Thanks for sharing.:thumbsup:

out of focused.

Thanks so much for your comments frens...

Zerocoolastra and 2pointeight- I get your point about the empty space but just like Pansclub has rightfully pointed out, I did not crop the bottom as I wanted to retain the reflection of the sun on the water. Anyways, thanks so much for the constructive comments and Happy new year to all of you!