Router IP address problem

+evenstar

Hi guys

I've been encountering problems with my Linksys WRT160NL router recently. I've set my local IP address as 192.168.1.1, and the starting IP address to 192.168.1.101.

However, these few days, my computer and iPhone has problems connecting to the internet, as both always register an IP of "192.168.11.X". I have to refresh the settings on the devices before it shows the IP in correct format (192.168.1.XXX)

I thought the problem lied with my router firmware, hence I flashed it, and even converted to the dd-wrt firmware, but the problem still persists.

Anyone here can advise? TIA!

Hi guys

I've been encountering problems with my Linksys WRT160NL router recently. I've set my local IP address as 192.168.1.1, and the starting IP address to 192.168.1.101.

However, these few days, my computer and iPhone has problems connecting to the internet, as both always register an IP of "192.168.11.X". I have to refresh the settings on the devices before it shows the IP in correct format (192.168.1.XXX)

I thought the problem lied with my router firmware, hence I flashed it, and even converted to the dd-wrt firmware, but the problem still persists.

Anyone here can advise? TIA!
:think: When the devices have IP address of 192.168.11.X, what was the Gateway IP?

Check the subnet of your 192.160.x.x network. I don't think it is an issue.
Can you run ipconfig/ release and ipconfig/ renew command from your c prompt?

Check the subnet of your 192.160.x.x network. I don't think it is an issue.
Can you run ipconfig/ release and ipconfig/ renew command from your c prompt?
subnet in the router settings is 225.225.225.0

running ip renew solves the problem. just that it gets irritating when the iphone and ipod touches at home automatically connect to the network, and we find out we cant access the network due to the IP error

running ip renew solves the problem. just that it gets irritating when the iphone and ipod touches at home automatically connect to the network, and we find out we cant access the network due to the IP error
If the subnet is c class (255.255.255.0) that means the ip address range is 192.168.1.1 till 192.168.1.254.
May be it's time for you to check the router's setting again?

Or tried to reset the router to its default setting and then you reconfigure it again.

has been like this all the while...should i set it to something else instead?

Doesn't quite seemed to be the router's fault. Is there any other wireless network which has the same SSID as yours?

Basically if you're connected to a particular wireless network, the allocated IP and gateway IP should be related to that particular wireless network.

Hi guys

I am no IT expert. But I am just wondering if you want to check that you did not incorrectly specify the DHCP scope to start from 192.168.11.01 instead of the 192.168.1.101 that you have intended.

I am no IT expert. But I am just wondering if you want to check that you did not incorrectly specify the DHCP scope to start from 192.168.11.01 instead of the 192.168.1.101 that you have intended.

He says problem fixed after ipconfig /renew command which i presume in the ip pool 192.168.1.x range.
To ts: do you have other router to check if it is the issue?

forgot to add, it even happened to my iMac which was connected via LAN...:think:

no other router...:(

hope the problem will go away after a few days....hopefully...

:think: Strange problem. Perhaps you might want to contact Linksys about it.

refreshed, rebooted, reconfigured, still problem exists...zzz..and it's only these few days

Usually if all other methods fail, set to factory default and reconfigure again else your router has gone screwy for some reason that you may not be aware of like a power surge.

subnet should be 255.255.255.0 and not 225. Gateway of your DHCP clients should be 192.168.1.1

Alternatively, assign static ip address to the devices since there are only 3 of them, at least till a fix has been discovered.

Last edited:
ok seem to have found out the problem. the linksys is my primary router, and i have a secondary router which is a Buffalo AirStation (which is connected to one of the LAN ports of the linksys)

linksys is set as 192.168.1.1
buffalo is set as 192.168.11.1

whenever i connect to the linksys router, it somehow gives me an IP address from the Buffalo router. disconnecting the buffalo from the linksys solves the problem for now

ok seem to have found out the problem. the linksys is my primary router, and i have a secondary router which is a Buffalo AirStation (which is connected to one of the LAN ports of the linksys)

linksys is set as 192.168.1.1
buffalo is set as 192.168.11.1

whenever i connect to the linksys router, it somehow gives me an IP address from the Buffalo router. disconnecting the buffalo from the linksys solves the problem for now

This means you have 2 devices providing DHCP services. Any client (PC, iphone, etc) that connects to your network will send out a broadcast to look for a DHCP server. It will get an IP address from whichever DHCP server answers first.

You can disable the DHCP server service on one of them to solve the problem.

This means you have 2 devices providing DHCP services. Any client (PC, iphone, etc) that connects to your network will send out a broadcast to look for a DHCP server. It will get an IP address from whichever DHCP server answers first.

You can disable the DHCP server service on one of them to solve the problem.

bingo. this should solve the problem. TS, try to find out what is your DHCP server (via commandline "ipconfig /all"). Most likely it will show the DHCP server is the Buffalo drive. Since you already configured your Linksys to provide IP addresses to DHCP clients, it will be easier to just disable DHCP service on the Buffalo drive.