Roundabout is more efficient than Cross Road

Roundabouts are a total fiasco in big cities like Singapore.

Roundabouts are not the fiasco, drivers that are the fiasco. Inanimate objects do not have behavioral problems.

Drove at many places with loads of roundabouts. Never had problems.

Issue is idiot drivers who drive with right of way mentality without the ability to figure out the inappropriate situations and its not just in the roundabouts.

beside the land issue, one of the reason is Singaporean drivers like to sing "MY WAY" during driving, every road in Singapore, even up to JB, all are Lim Beh A.

Roundabouts are not the fiasco, drivers that are the fiasco. Inanimate objects do not have behavioral problems.

Drove at many places with loads of roundabouts. Never had problems.

Issue is idiot drivers who drive with right of way mentality without the ability to figure out the inappropriate situations and its not just in the roundabouts.

The failure of roundabout is not merely behavioral as road design is a major factor. If people are the fiasco, then the design of roads must also cater to these people.

There are 8,000,000 hits on Google for "roundabout fiasco."

https://www.google.com.sg/webhp?sou...ei=aRsxUtz8FMvLrQenioDACQ#q=roundabout+fiasco

I agree with you that drivers are a problem as I have seen drivers going around on the outer lane, or cutting in and out of lanes recklessly.

You can also get a huge number of hits on the various failures of roundabouts.
https://www.google.com.sg/#q=failure+roundabout&start=10

Apparently LTA has a preference for roundabouts because the accident rate is lower than a junction.
http://www.stcars.sg/guides-articles/road-essentials/are-roundabouts-a-boon-or-nightmare/a/51564

Roundabout only work in places with lower traffic like on Sentosa Island on Singapore in the 19th century.

Here is some official recognition of the problem. If you have no problem doesn't other don't have a problem.
http://www.straitstimes.com/breakin...stion-between-west-coast-highway-and-jalan-bu

Last edited:
The problem with roundabouts is there is no traffic lights. And when the traffic becomes heavy, the installation of one (such as Newton) :)

I personally think roundabouts are good only for small neighbourhoods. The "mega" town we are having with thousands of car population do not make it efficient anymore. Imagine the poor guy trying to make the right or u turn, he will have to wait forever for his turn to enter the roundabout.

And those "racers" who whizz in KPE will just speed through the roundabout as if it is non existence in the middle of the night.

Last edited:
And those "racers" who whizz in KPE will just speed through the roundabout as if it is non existence in the middle of the night.
I question that :bsmilie: It's an added value of the roundabout that all vehicles have to slow down. Yes, still people try to run straight through a roundabout. But usually the drive ends there :)

Perhaps roundabouts aren't as efficient with heavy traffic -- I really don't know and have not seen any study on it.

However, they are a lot more efficient than traffic-light controlled junctions in low to medium traffic areas (Newton used to be light-controlled only at peak hours -- is this still true?).

The US cross junction (not traffic-light controlled) is pretty good too. Everyone stops, and the one who arrived first goes first. Yes, yes, there will be some 'cheats'. In our case, you arrive at a junction with absolutely NO other traffic, and wait because your light it red, even at 3am in the morning.
Are we really that bad as a society that we can't have most drivers play fair at uncontrolled 4-way junctions? And if someone 'cheats', is everyone else level-headed enough not to chase the guy, horn blaring and lights flashing?
*sigh* don't bother to answer the last question

Generally, local drivers have very poor lane discipline. I doubt they know which lane they should stick to in a 3 lanes roundabout.

The thing is if you start installing traffic lights at roundabouts, it goes to show the ineffectiveness of the roundabout. I also personally feel that traffic lights at roundabout is a safety hazard as there have been times when I negotiate a roundabout, I can only see the red light at last moments due to the bend.

Without roundabouts electioneering can be boring in Malaysia. :bsmilie:

B5867.jpg

Roundabout is also about going GREEN. No electric power needed at all times. And we can plant nice nice trees in the middle.

But traffic light suppliers will run out of business soon.

That's why they call it a Circus

Last edited:
That's why they call it a Circus

err, yeah, when I was young I asked why it was called a circus, and some older kid told me that they actually had circuses (animals, clowns, etc) there every now and then. I waited for months (hey, circus tents are round, so I thought it was plausible!).

Anyway, in a country when they cut down an old tree because some drivers complain the bend in the road is dangerous *sigh*, I don't think roundabouts are gonna come back (it was a friggin' tree, they don't move, couldn't you SEE it? SLOW Down, moron! Rant over)

(it was a friggin' tree, they don't move, couldn't you SEE it? SLOW Down, moron! Rant over)

Haven't you heard of the driver driving along and minding his own business until this tree appeared in his path causing him to hit it killing the driver????

Was in India last week in Madurai. For the whole week of daily 2 hours plus of driving, didn't encounter 1 traffic light.