Roundabout is more efficient than Cross Road

denniskee

Oct 26, 2003
bukit batok
Visit site
Mythbusters

[video=youtube;OvoFjirrgYA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=OvoFjirrgYA[/video]

Army style, OTOT! Confirm faster, haha!

If the drivers know what to do .. but looking at the clueless and helpless signalling in all direction one can observe near Parkway Parade ..:bsmilie:

Ya. Unless people know how to use round about, I think more accidents will happen if Singapore has more of this. I can't help but to feel that most of us r lost without being told what to do. Thats y I think we must have traffic lights.

If the drivers know what to do .. but looking at the clueless and helpless signalling in all direction one can observe near Parkway Parade ..:bsmilie:

their test had one lane.

imagine 3 to 4 lanes, like the one at Newton Circus :bsmilie:

Chaos.

everyone just wants to be everywhere :bsmilie:

their test had one lane.

Chaos.

Try the Arc de Troimphe in Paris. They'll take up permanent residency once they get in.

Try the Arc de Troimphe in Paris. They'll take up permanent residency once they get in.
In Google Earth is seems that there are not even lane markings in the entire roundabout :bsmilie: That calls for longer stays inside.. but then again.. there's the big monument to visit :)

In Google Earth is seems that there are not even lane markings in the entire roundabout :bsmilie: That calls for longer stays inside.. but then again.. there's the big monument to visit :)

there are many big monuments in Paris :bsmilie:

I would think our traffic light controlled 4-way junctions would be slower than either of those two systems. I'd guess half the throughput of the roundabout?
I still remember when roundabouts were relatively common here. Perhaps the efficiency drops with multi-lane roads.

Last edited:
Roundabout is very common here during the 60s, but because it take up more land space than cross road junction, so it slowly phaseout.

on the other hand, Roundabout it seem to be less maintenance needed, don't have to worry about traffic light failure or black out.
but Singaporean are so used to let authority tell them what to do, can not react on their own inside roundabout, probably will get stuck inside forever.

Roundabouts are very common place in major cities of Iceland and Scandinavia. Very intuitive to use, good flow, little hassle of waiting. It is also more common in the less urban areas of UK

But like what catchlights mentioned, the land area to create a ring is much bigger than a crossroad with lights.

Ryan

I watched our guide navigate the roundabout in Penang, moving from this lane to thhaaaaaaattttt lane
Embarrassingly I squeezed my eyes shut and braced for the impact as the motorcycle doing the same but on the opposite side came swerving in
Neither slowed down yet somehow it all panned out ... and he grinned, saying it's like Toyota y'know? JIT!

Round about is also safer than traffic light junction because the drivers will not try to beat the red light :)

Roundabouts are very common place in major cities of Iceland and Scandinavia. Very intuitive to use, good flow, little hassle of waiting. It is also more common in the less urban areas of UK

But like what catchlights mentioned, the land area to create a ring is much bigger than a crossroad with lights.

Ryan

Yeah. It is very common in Switzerland too. I hardly saw any cross-road junctions when I was there.

their test had one lane.

Chaos.

Newton circus was a nightmare.

I got bum off my motorcycle when i turn left, the taxi driver can scold me when we stopped.

Roundabouts are a total fiasco in big cities like Singapore. Other than the infamous Newton Circle and the quite benign one at Amber, there are the ridiculous circles at West Coast Highway, Jalan Boon Lay/Jurong Island and Tuas Road. I am amazed that LTA persists in building more circles. Often these circles have traffic lights otherwise the mess would result in total standstill. You can be stuck in the West Coast circle for more than 30 mins during peak. Kindly avoid.

Last edited:
There were many more traffic circles in the past.

One way they contribute to accidents:
Driver signals right as he turns right in the circle, he continues signalling right - forgot to signal left as he turns left to peel off into side road.
Pedestrians in the side road who saw his right signal may be caught by surprise.

Roundabouts are a total fiasco in big cities like Singapore. Other than the infamous Newton Circle and the quite benign one at Amber, there are the ridiculous circles at West Coast Highway, Jalan Boon Lay/Jurong Island and Tuas Road. I am amazed that LTA persists in building more circles. Often these circles have traffic lights otherwise the mess would result in total standstill. You can be stuck in the West Coast circle for more than 30 mins during peak. Kindly avoid.

well, even on straight roads Singaporean drivers tend to drive recklessly. what more a roundabout? :bsmilie: