Root canal treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaknafein

Oct 29, 2005
my room
www.flickr.com
anyone had this treatment b4? wat issit like?
im told i would need this treatment done to 1 of my tooth.... :(

Usually you require a root canal treatment if you have a bad cavity that's eaten all the way into the tooth and is affecting your nerve endings. So what the dentist do is drill a hole into the tooth and take out the nerve endings in the tooth, clean the root canal and then fill it up the hole. What it means is that your tooth then becomes a dead tooth, but at least you still will be able to use it to chew. However, you still have to take care of the tooth because it can still decay, and you should avoid chewing hard objects cause the the tooth is weaker now.

I think you have to ask your dentist to explain to you better about the procedure and if there is any other alternative. If it's a molar that you are doing it on, it's going to take 2-3 visits to complete.

Usually you require a root canal treatment if you have a bad cavity that's eaten all the way into the tooth and is affecting your nerve endings. So what the dentist do is drill a hole into the tooth and take out the nerve endings in the tooth, clean the root canal and then fill it up the hole. What it means is that your tooth then becomes a dead tooth, but at least you still will be able to use it to chew. However, you still have to take care of the tooth because it can still decay, and you should avoid chewing hard objects cause the the tooth is weaker now.

I think you have to ask your dentist to explain to you better about the procedure and if there is any other alternative. If it's a molar that you are doing it on, it's going to take 2-3 visits to complete.

I did mine last year. It's a very long process. Mostly it takes months or even a year or more - not because of waiting appointments, but because after each process, you have to let your tooth rest (overworking on the tooth leads to tooth weakness at the root) and get used to the filling. The hardest part is the removal of the nerve (under anesthesia of course). The doc will check and recheck using a nerve probe. If you feel pain, the nerves are still not removed completely. Then he will take out the temp filling and clean out the nerves again. The nerves must be completely removed before the crowning. Even during crowning, there are problems. If the gum is too high, the doc will cut off part of the gum to lower its level. This is because the crown must sit on the bone level and not on the gum level.

The brochure given is not enough. You have to ask the doc for more information. Otherwise you will find that what you went through is very different from what is mentioned in the brochure. ^^ Cheers~

oh man, sounds like such a painful process :(
mine is not a molar, fortunately. its 1 of the front tooth.
issit really painful even under anesthesia?
what about the recovery process? the dentist told me it will cost me abuot 600 and about 2 treatments

what about the recovery process? the dentist told me it will cost me abuot 600 and about 2 treatments

Ah, then you are okay lor. No, there's no pain but sensation under anesthesia. The recovery process is slow, because we are dealing with teeth here (calcium). Take note that to heal is a different matter from 'back to normal'. The worked tooth might take about 2 months to get back to some firmness. The crowned tooth can never go back to its formal strength. But front teeth should be pretty alright la. Don't worry. ^^ Just don't open a Tuborg with your teeth that's all.

hmm, i dun get what u mean by "worked" and "crowned" tooth.
hmmm no pain, i thought its gonna be drilled all the way down to the nerves? that sounds so scary and painful hahahah i think i might need a general anesthesia to knock me out completely :p

Oh, sorry for the confusion. :) During the first few visits, the dentist will work on your tooth, meaning he will use a drill to drill a hole in your tooth and clear out the nerves. During this period, your tooth is the weakest. That's a worked tooth.

A crowned tooth is the finished job. That means the dentist has:

1. cleared out the nerves
2. filled up the hole
3. covered your tooth with a moulded new tooth (made of enamel and silver/gold) - this process is called crowning.

^^

There will definitely be some pain, but I can assure you that the pain I had imagined was lesser than what I had experienced. :)

The best thing is to think of all the chio models you have shot. ^^ Heheh~

I just had one this year on the front tooth. Ironically, the painful part is the anesthesia. 2 or 3 jabs of them. Other than that, it's not that painful.

Just did a root canal on one of the front teeth. Had to go back 3 sessions before the crowning. Not painful at all, in fact I found it quite an interesting process. Then again, going to the dentist has never bothered me, I'm more nervous with the doctor instead, don't ask me why).

Prismatic is pretty accurate:) Depending on which tooth and degree of damage, the tooth would usually need a crown or capping after the root canal treatment.

I did mine last year. It's a very long process. Mostly it takes months or even a year or more - not because of waiting appointments, but because after each process, you have to let your tooth rest (overworking on the tooth leads to tooth weakness at the root) and get used to the filling. The hardest part is the removal of the nerve (under anesthesia of course). The doc will check and recheck using a nerve probe. If you feel pain, the nerves are still not removed completely. Then he will take out the temp filling and clean out the nerves again. The nerves must be completely removed before the crowning. Even during crowning, there are problems. If the gum is too high, the doc will cut off part of the gum to lower its level. This is because the crown must sit on the bone level and not on the gum level.

The brochure given is not enough. You have to ask the doc for more information. Otherwise you will find that what you went through is very different from what is mentioned in the brochure. ^^ Cheers~

Mine seems complicated... went to the orthodontist for my root canal treatment, 3 sessions and each lasting almost 3hrs.......

As my teeth fillings is large, the gums were cut so that the orthodontist could reach the lower part of the teeth...... not painful initially but when the anesthetic wears off.. reaching the end of the 3hrs treatment..... :angry:

In my case my dentist (my aunt) did all in one session......the worst thing
I find about root canals is the long time I had to keep my mouth open (more than 3 hrs in my case) and that with a rubber cap around the teeth. In the end one of my jaw muscles was cramped!

I think she used some solution that is toxic, don't know what it was.....she used it after the nerves were removed if I remember it correctly. But this may be some old technology, it was done more than 20 years ago.

HS

Mine seems complicated... went to the orthodontist for my root canal treatment, 3 sessions and each lasting almost 3hrs.......

As my teeth fillings is large, the gums were cut so that the orthodontist could reach the lower part of the teeth...... not painful initially but when the anesthetic wears off.. reaching the end of the 3hrs treatment..... :angry:

Yes, that's the ultimate. -_- The pain was #@%* when my tongue accidentally touched it.

so what's wrong with your tooth ? i also almost did a root canal.... in the end ... listerine saved me ...... haha i was living on pain killers for 2 weeks ...... for somthing like this try and get a 2nd opinion, cause would you like the thought of killing ur teeth? ... cannot bite crab shell anymore :x

Root canal, plus the finishing, a crown, is very expensive... many ppl haven't finished, the tooth spoilt becoz they didn't do the crown in the end. In the end the whole tooth still ga na extracted.

so what's wrong with your tooth ? i also almost did a root canal.... in the end ... listerine saved me ...... haha i was living on pain killers for 2 weeks ...... for somthing like this try and get a 2nd opinion, cause would you like the thought of killing ur teeth? ... cannot bite crab shell anymore :x

im not sure what happened to my tooth too. from what i know, this tooth has been acting funny for a long time about 10 yrs ago. i saw a dentist then, and she told me that if it didnt bother me much just leave it. i remembered it hurt a little when she used something and lightly knock my teeth. since then i made a habit of using the other side to chew food.

the other day i took an xray of all my teeth. seems like that "funny" tooth has decay at the roots and nearing the nerves already. so the dentist advised me to do root canal.

btw, he told me after root canal, he will insert some sort of small metal thing into the tooth to strengthen it, so might not need a crown. so not sure which is better also :sweat:
i got so much teeth problems. haiiiii

im not sure what happened to my tooth too. from what i know, this tooth has been acting funny for a long time about 10 yrs ago. i saw a dentist then, and she told me that if it didnt bother me much just leave it. i remembered it hurt a little when she used something and lightly knock my teeth. since then i made a habit of using the other side to chew food.

the other day i took an xray of all my teeth. seems like that "funny" tooth has decay at the roots and nearing the nerves already. so the dentist advised me to do root canal.

btw, he told me after root canal, he will insert some sort of small metal thing into the tooth to strengthen it, so might not need a crown. so not sure which is better also :sweat:
i got so much teeth problems. haiiiii

I think end of the day you'll still need a crown because the tooth is no longer alive and after a while it will discolour and become weak. The metal post is only to strengthen the root but it doesn't do anything for the enamel.

Status
Not open for further replies.