Rom

Status
Not open for further replies.

x-iii

Apr 17, 2005
I was recently asked by a friend to take photos for her ROM ceremony... It's rather informal but they didn't hire a pro... So I guess my responsibility is quite heavy.
Anyway, do you have any advice for ROM ceremony only? Like what's the most important moment of that ceremony... Is it advisable to get an external flash unit since it's mostly indoors? I'm currently on a tight budget... Canon 430EX is abit over.. And I only have 350D kit lens (18-55mm). Sufficient?

My advise? Ask your friend to hire a pro. No matter how informal they say the ceremony may be, it is still an important event for them.

But if your friend insist, get an external flash. Your kit lens would be sufficient when paired with an external flash. And if really cannot afford a flash, then bump up your iso to 800 or 1600, and set your mode to P, and use your camera's internal flash.

since you asked, it means you know it is essential to get a flash.
i recommend you ask them to hire a photographer for the pics.

however if you've explained that you are uncertain of the turnout of pics, and they still insist you do the job, then it is up to you to have fun and experiment w your camera.

Yeah they are reluctant to hire a pro... Afterall this is an once-in-a-lifetime event. Personally, I diedie also try to prevent myself from using iso1600. Any cheap but good external flash to recommend this noob? I'm ok with third party...

Yeah they are reluctant to hire a pro... Afterall this is an once-in-a-lifetime event. Personally, I diedie also try to prevent myself from using iso1600. Any cheap but good external flash to recommend this noob? I'm ok with third party...

Why not just rent some lenses or flashes in the consumer corner?

good idea. renting will only set you off about 20 dollars or so. if you want can afford to rent a fast lens like 17-55 also.

IMO shooting iso 1600 is ok actually. not that much noise. too heavy a flash power spoils the lighting IMO.

IMO shooting iso 1600 is ok actually. not that much noise. too heavy a flash power spoils the lighting IMO.
yep.. sometimes the warm lighting creates a romantic ambience... but i better be safe and rent a flash! thanks for all your advices

If the idea is to record the event, the built in flash would be sufficient. The ROM (I presume the 1 at Fort Canning) is not a very big and sufficiently lit. Then-after proceed to Fort Canning which a longer zoom (at least 200mm) would cover some good potraits.

use your budget to hire a professional then?

I was recently asked by a friend to take photos for her ROM ceremony... It's rather informal but they didn't hire a pro... So I guess my responsibility is quite heavy.
Anyway, do you have any advice for ROM ceremony only? Like what's the most important moment of that ceremony... Is it advisable to get an external flash unit since it's mostly indoors? I'm currently on a tight budget... Canon 430EX is abit over.. And I only have 350D kit lens (18-55mm). Sufficient?

i guess you can take some money out of your pocket to finance a pro to take the pics for them.

But its only a ROM right, not AD? Not very clear in your above statement.

ROM usually very easy to shoot one, you need an external flash to bounce cause the ceiling there is very forgiving, any one with a low end flash can shoot properly.

Hey i just got the info that it's at SRC, not fort canning. I've been there before.. ceiling's quite high right...i think i'll really need the flash. and it's only ROM..not AD :)

One more advise is if you have never played with an external flash before, try renting a flash now and play with all the various settings to familiarise yourself with the flash. Don't wait until the actual day to experiment, you wouldn't have much time to review your shots. Or buy one now if you intend to buy.

buying a flash for ROM?
the money they spend to hire a pro is less than the flash lor.

A flash will be useful. Don't be afraid to try. Most amatuer started out shooting for friends. You should be flattered that they chose you.

Although the flash is more expensive that the charges for 2-3 hours of pro services, you can keep and continue to use the flash after this events. If your shot is good, maybe you can do it full time. You could rent a flash for a day and there is quite a few people offering that in this forum.

hey. thanks all... am intending to rent a 430EX. i've used ext flash for covering school events before so i think it shouldn't be a problem (only $$ problem). anyway, i have another question. do most couples take group shots after their ROM?

hey. thanks all... am intending to rent a 430EX. i've used ext flash for covering school events before so i think it shouldn't be a problem (only $$ problem). anyway, i have another question. do most couples take group shots after their ROM?

Yes. Group shots normally come after the whole ceremony.

And as mentioned already... try out the flash and test them before the event.

I would think most people would want to take group photos with those in attendance for memory sake. At least I did:bsmilie:

just use whatever you have to shoot the ROM for them, but you need a hotshoe flash, your friend don't ever bother to fork out $200~$300 to hire someone, why you need to buy a flash to use on them? if you think you can buy and use the flash in future, by all mean.

many couples think ROM is a very small event, not willing to spend money to record it, not that they can't afford, many just think is not necessary, so this is really up to them.

I have seen many couples just happily let their friends or relatives using PnS to snap away during ceremonies, out of 10 couples, maybe only one or two couple really hire a photographers. this is the reality.

the ceremony itself is very short, less then 5mins, you have to work very fast, get your setting right before you go inside the room, (presume the ROM is take place at the Registry Office at the ground floor of ROM building). just stand next to the registrar, you able to get most of the shots from that angle, bear in mind that the room is very small, so don't think that you are able frame everyone in your picture, just concentrate on the couple, remember, ceremony is very short, no time for you to review your shots, and you miss any of the shots, that's it. don't forget to get a group shot of the registrar, the couple and the two witnesses, before leave the room.

when outside the room, can go and take all the group photos, when you are in doubt, just see what people do, than you follow.

ps, just notice you mention the ROM is take place at SRC (Singapore Recreation Club), well, can spend money on the venue, reluctant to hire a photographer, that's the reality.

good luck!

well, i'll think of it as they are giving me an opportunity, rather than they are throwing the responsibility to me. so yep, i'll keep in mind.. i also have a very bad habit of reviewing every photo after i have taken them. guess that's the bad part about digital cameras! :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.