Rom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigfatfish

Jan 13, 2004
Hi guys,

recently i have been arrowed to take some pics for a friend's ROM. Just wanted to find out from those who have done ROMs before, what are the norms.

E.g 1) Color or Black&White
2) What films used usually
3) Got people use tripod usually?
4) Do you guys do cold lamination, put in fancy albums or just put them in simple color lab free-albums and give to the couple?

Thanks in advance. If you all have anything u want to share also can post. :thumbsup:

hmm.... when you have these sort of questions, maybe you could consider rejecting the offer and let someone else take over?

bigfatfish said:
Hi guys,

recently i have been arrowed to take some pics for a friend's ROM. Just wanted to find out from those who have done ROMs before, what are the norms.

4) Do you guys do cold lamination, put in fancy albums or just put them in simple color lab free-albums and give to the couple?

Thanks in advance. If you all have anything u want to share also can post. :thumbsup:

just for replies sake in good spirit. My friend once 'arrowed' me to be his photog at ROM also.. I used digital at that time.
1.) Colour.. can convert to B&W after that.. but not the other way round.
2.) Digitally.. I used ISO 400.. quite dim lighting there.. need to shoot quick to prevent handshake.. noise-wise.. use software reduce later lor.. no choice.. Noise grain in film 400.. i dunno how to remove..
3.) Haven't seen ppl use tripod.. but i guess you're not restricted (I may be wrong)
4.) I just printed them out and handed it to them in an envelope :bsmilie:
and burned the rest onto CD for him.

Was still super noobish at that time.. din't know nuts about cameras and flash. Nor had the money to invest in 'better' systems and just wanted to shoot. It was a free service and he din't mind if there were no photos at all too.. Having me there was just a bonus to him, so no stress on me.

thinking of which.. i think i was arrowed TWICE.. :think:

bigfatfish said:
Hi guys,

1) both are fine, if can only use one, convert to b/w during postproduction.
2) 400
3) don't need, not time to setup also.
4) depand on budget.

Think fast, work fast, you only have less than 5 mins to shoot the solemnization. Enjoy you shoot.

catchlights said:
Think fast, work fast, you only have less than 5 mins to shoot the solemnization. Enjoy you shoot.

make sure your flash battries are fresh and the recharge time is fast enough. A good wide angle to zoom lens will be useful ie:24 to 85 for film camera.

Plan your shoot.
Try not to shoot with the guest behine you. At my friend's ROM, the photographer keep standing between the guest and the ROM couple. He block the view of the guest at every step of the way and most of us we looking at his backside instate of the couple. If you have to do it, quickly take the shot and move out of the way. A good photographer will find some other angle to do the shoot without disrupting the proceedings.

mpenza said:
hmm.... when you have these sort of questions, maybe you could consider rejecting the offer and let someone else take over?
Hi mpenza,
I understand what are your concerns, but at only time in Register of Marriage; out of 10 wedding couples, maybe only 2 or 3 couples have a photographer with a proper setup or engage a pro.
Most of couples just asking friends or family members using a compact camera for taking pictures.
So I find friend of bigfatfish asking him to take is better choice than asking someone using a compact camera. Unless bigfatfish can convince his friend to engage someone with more experience taking ROM.

Hi bigfatfish, forget to remind you, need to keep a fresh roll to go inside the room, no time for you reload film, change lens, etc….
Ad yes, you need at least a zoom wide end at 28mm. Forgot to write down color neg in my last posting.
Hope this help.

Hi yqt,
Please don't sound like you never shoot ROM before leh, that guy is paid one har? Why your friend didn't ask you? Maybe can't pay you lah! :blah:

one thing to remember is that right after the 'kiss' is the signing of the "life contract". This part happens very fast. Plan your shoots to leave about 6 to 8 frames for this part ( no time to change film ).

catchlights:
the photographer was hired by the bride's sister as a gift to them :dunno: and I'm suppose to be his driver and co-ordinator for the hotel ballroom reception. Anyway, my ROM packages is not ex. at all :angel: .

Alternatively, bring me along!! I'll guide you. Heehee.

espn said:
Alternatively, bring me along!! I'll guide you. Heehee.

Steady lah espn :thumbsup: . not bad hor? got expert willing to go and guide you.

yqt said:
catchlights:
the photographer was hired by the bride's sister as a gift to them :dunno: and I'm suppose to be his driver and co-ordinator for the hotel ballroom reception. Anyway, my ROM packages is not ex. at all :angel: .
If the photographer know who you are...... surely :sweat:
Have you seen your friend's ROM photo yet?

Yesterday shot a Solemnization before dinner at Fullerton, meet Mr David Loh, he told me Say Yas will be no more at ROM building, but when will it be I didn't ask. :dunno:

Hi espn,
:thumbsup:

Hi bigfatfish,
Got expert help you on site liao.

bigfatfish
Don't wait liao..... pm espn and ask him to help!!! :bsmilie:

catchlights
yes the photographer later ( at the reception ) know that I'm a photographer and his face drop. I think he's a little worried as he felt threaten. I told him that's it's all right, all of us have to start somewhere and gave him some pointers of how to shoot a ROM and reception ( he's not sure how to use bounce light :bigeyes: ). In the end he charge the bride's sister cheaper and throw in a better album. The photos.......... let's just say "Pro photographer" like him is giving us a bad name :angry: , a lot of the guys here in club snap can do better.

Bigfatfish
Don't worry, if the photos are not up to your standard, there's still photoshop. I took my friend's CD with all the photos in it ( the photographer was shooting with a 20D or 10D, I can't remember ) and did a 18 page 8x10 montage for him and it look good.

mpenza said:

well, my friends know i am not a pro either....i just posted these queries to find out more so i can do my best for a friend. mpenza, everybody has their first time in everything. since my friend wanted me to do it, its paiseh to turn them down either right? But dont worry, I already engaged a back up who is more experienced than me. ;)

yqt catchlight and espn :thumbsup: thanks for the pointers!

oh yeah haha cannot bring u la espn :bsmilie:

all your opinions and pointers are really very useful. thanks!

Hi bigfatfish,
A Pro (professional photographer) means someone making a living thru photography, like yqt, his friend’s ROM photographers, and myself. Doesn’t mean the shots done by a pro must be fantastic. Well, you have just hear about one example liao. :bsmilie:

And yes, you have done a right thing, for your friend and yourself.

As I have explain earlier, I have seen many out of focus, badly underexposed ROM photos, many couples not willing spend money on ROM photography, this is their choice, and they willing to accept whatever outcome, so let it be.

Enjoy your shoot.

Hi yqt,
Direct flash also can be a style, Paparazzi Style :bsmilie:

Wow, free collage photobook album for you friend? :bigeyes:

catchlights said:
Hi yqt,
Direct flash also can be a style, Paparazzi Style :bsmilie:

Wow, free collage photobook album for you friend? :bigeyes:

:think: come to think of it..........maybe that's why he ask me to shoot his wedding day :sweatsm: .

catchlights said:
Yesterday shot a Solemnization before dinner at Fullerton, meet Mr David Loh, he told me Say Yas will be no more at ROM building, but when will it be I didn't ask. :dunno:

David Loh..is that the JP? think i have seen him around a couple of times, during friends' ROM. Say Yes...are you referring to the wedding shop at ROM?? where are they moving to?

Yes, Mr Loh Choon Lim David, PBM, Deputy Registrar of Marriage.

Moving of Say Yes, when and where, I didn’t ask him. :dunno:

hey guys, do u all have any links of ROM pics that you have taken and might want to share? I just wanted to "visualise" how it will be like ?

if not comfy with sharing its okay also :D

Status
Not open for further replies.