ROM shooting....with a CAnon G2!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

digi~ET

Dec 2, 2002
SG
www.digiet.net
Ok...this may sound abit ........erm extreme ^^| My friend approached me to be a photographer for her ROM, well.... I am a casual photography lover and is just using G2.

Never had any experience in this before, and...infact I don't really focus too much on taking human up to now...

Reason I guess is FOC ... actually I did told her that my cam is not that good, my skill may not be enough. However to non photography lover, they think G2 is WOW and my skill is good^^|.... swt...swt...

So...am wondering...anyone had experience taking such event using a prosumer?
What do I have to look out for? (Basically....I only have the cam, no external flash....etc)

Any advice?
Should I in any case ask the couple to do anything? Or just take everything quietly on one side?
What setting are recommened? for indoor n outdoor?
Should I use my flash???

Well, if u feel ok and confident enuff, go ahead, But with questions like these (what settings recommended, shld I use flash), u'd better get another more experienced hired guy or risk getting awful shots that would spoil ya friendship.

In the case of u really decided not to shoot. Tell ur friend, "Money loss or moment loss. Your pick. U can't reshoot an ROM or a Wedding."

Its not abt being a FOC photographer, but abt potentially losing the moment & photos simply becos he's too cheap to pay for a hired photographer.

I think you'd better ask to seek a professional to take the pics, cos wedding and ROM is only a once in a lifetime thing. Don't take the risk.

ya...as u can see i am not confident in it...no doubt I can try to train up a bit ... have 2months time.

Actually I have asked about the pricing on a ROM shoot from my freelance fren (she never mentioned that she wants lah...on my own will) ...but am wondering..just incase she insist.......

Ya...my first reaction is : are you sure!!!!! Is a once in a life time event! I am not very pro leh.....

digi~ET said:
ya...as u can see i am not confident in it...no doubt I can try to train up a bit ... have 2months time.

Actually I have asked about the pricing on a ROM shoot from my freelance fren (she never mentioned that she wants lah...on my own will) ...but am wondering..just incase she insist.......

Ya...my first reaction is : are you sure!!!!! Is a once in a life time event! I am not very pro leh.....

So ask to hire a professional as they know how and what to take, also the various settings and equipment to use for different situations.

This is my own opinion only. Not everyone is particular about their ROM shots, alot of my frens' ROM also just ask fren with P&S to take pics only, never hire any pro. So since your fren feels that your cam is quite good and your skill also not bad, and he needs your help, so just help him out lor. As precaution, maybe can make sure there is another P&S available in case your cam encounter any problems that day.

But saying this, if your fren is particular about the pics, better advise him to hire a photog.

clicknick said:
This is my own opinion only. Not everyone is particular about their ROM shots, alot of my frens' ROM also just ask fren with P&S to take pics only, never hire any pro. So since your fren feels that your cam is quite good and your skill also not bad, and he needs your help, so just help him out lor. As precaution, maybe can make sure there is another P&S available in case your cam encounter any problems that day.

But saying this, if your fren is particular about the pics, better advise him to hire a photog.

I agree....so choose wisely for the thread starter.

digi~ET said:
Ok...this may sound abit ........erm extreme ^^| My friend approached me to be a photographer for her ROM, well.... I am a casual photography lover and is just using G2.

Never had any experience in this before, and...infact I don't really focus too much on taking human up to now...

Reason I guess is FOC ... actually I did told her that my cam is not that good, my skill may not be enough. However to non photography lover, they think G2 is WOW and my skill is good^^|.... swt...swt...

What do I have to look out for? (Basically....I only have the cam, no external flash....etc)

Any advice?
Should I in any case ask the couple to do anything? Or just take everything quietly on one side?
Should I use my flash???

i have taken photos at a wedding and dinner as a guest at my fren's wedding, using a fuji f10 digicam, all on full auto mode with built in flash. the photos turned out pretty ok, and my frens really liked them. you should be able to get some great shots with your G2, which has excellent picture quality and more manual controls than my F10.

look out for the key moments of the ceremony (e.g. exchange of vows, rings and the kiss) and any shots that record the significance of the occasion clearly and which make the wedding couple look GOOD. you can ask the couple to pose for you, just make sure they are relaxed and natural and look GOOD in ur frame. make sure u capture all the important ppl besides the couple, e.g. parents, siblings, groomsmen, bridesmaids, pageboys, flower girls, JP etc etc. take some candids on the side as well, to capture the joyful nature of the wedding, and a "behind-the-scenes" look.

settings? i'm comfortable with full auto (idiot-proof mode), i suggest u shoot with the settings u are most comfortable with and is second nature to u. use ur flash when lighting levels are low. outdoor shots can mostly be done without the flash, but fill-in flash is useful for backlit scenes.

don't worry so much, trust yourself more, good luck and have fun! i'm sure your shots will turn out great.

ha, I started shooting weddings with a G1 and a 420EX. From that camera, I slowly had more people asking me to take their wedding photos! Since P&S camera has a little gap between your click and the actual picture taken, shoot with some anticipation is required. Especially when the couple kiss each other. Take aim, half press the trigger to get focus(before the moment), and fully press when the moments come. Now I own a 10D to do the job more efficiently :)

I took my sis weddding with a G3 ( there's an offical photographer around though).

Thing is, my G3 was good enuff for group shots only because it doesn't focus fast. Worse if its indoors and light is low. And in some ROM which i had covered for friends, things can get very fast because they dun pause for the camera despite being told to do so :p
You might have time to squeeze off only 1 pic for important things like putting on of ring AFTER u anticipate the action. If that pic cannot make it....

Anyway..digi~et, i'm much wiilingly to help shoot if u'll let me ( foc of cse..i just like to shoot happy occassions) Just pm me the date.

digi~ET said:

Any advice?
Should I use my flash???
Tell your friend, pay a little more to hire a pro to do it, next time can use the ROM photos to show as montage during wedding dinner, if your friend don't intent to have customary wedding, should even spend more on ROM photography.

Many couples don't spend money on ROM photography, one of the reason is have not seen nice ROM photos before. Always is like get a friend to shoot, you shoot for me now, next time I shoot for you.

Get a good photographer for ROM, the money is definitely worth it for this special moment.

I have seen many couples only willing to spend money on rings, ROM dress, suit, make up, bouquet, buffer lunch or high tea and transportation. After the ROM, the couple only keeping the rings, cert, and photos, why be so stingy on photos?

Wah... RARE visitor... you still using your G2? No worries, just mount a 480 or 580EX and shoot as per normal can liao :thumbsup:

ops...hee...ya....seldom post photos ever since i went attachment and started work....lol^^

yup! still using G2^_^ went thru thick and thin! (malaysia, aussie, batam, taiwan^^)
No external flash... find it too heavy to bring oversea so didn't get it in the end.

yup, I am practicing half focus first to capture pple by surprise^^| but personally felt that my composition is not that good yet on portraits. Thankx i will try to remember about what golden moments to capture^^ hee.... meeting her this sunday ...and will inform her of options available see whats her decision.

cosycatus:
u serious? its on 30th April....i can ask her about it, would be great if there are two photographers.

I still use my G2 from time to time. :) I use a wide angle lens plus a 420EX flash.

Anyway, you may want to consider a variation of being the 2nd photographer to capture the ROM moments from another angle.

Sometime it not about the cam loh. There award winning photographer using just olympus 5050 and 5060 prosumer cam and still get big awards. I guess it just your sense of looking at thing and your style of photography your friend is looking for.

i say talk to your friends alittle and tell them wat u think and all... if they are not particular as some of our members here have mentioned, then i say go for it... it'd be a good experience for you .... so juz relax and enjoy the shoot

cheers

digi~ET said:
ops...hee...ya....seldom post photos ever since i went attachment and started work....lol^^

yup! still using G2^_^ went thru thick and thin! (malaysia, aussie, batam, taiwan^^)
No external flash... find it too heavy to bring oversea so didn't get it in the end.

yup, I am practicing half focus first to capture pple by surprise^^| but personally felt that my composition is not that good yet on portraits. Thankx i will try to remember about what golden moments to capture^^ hee.... meeting her this sunday ...and will inform her of options available see whats her decision.

cosycatus:
u serious? its on 30th April....i can ask her about it, would be great if there are two photographers.

seriously if you dun feel confident, do not accept the offer, there are so many professional photog doing ROM on weekdays for a song, less than $300. surely they will be able to afford one. Not selfpromoting really just go to www.singaporebrides.com.sg and cherry pick!:)

digi~ET said:

Do make sure you get/borrow a TTL external flash for your G2 and practice with it, whether direct or bounce or diffuse. It does make a world of difference to the end results I can assure you, especially for this sort of photography.

yup, she coming to my hse, will show her some work, and also tell her about cost of hiring professional...etc..hee

thankx, I have pmed abt the external flash...hee....see how maybe will get maybe not, ultimately is 1day free...but most pple dun borrow n return on 1 day...^^|

Status
Not open for further replies.