ROM shoot - Gear and lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lomo

Feb 4, 2006
Govt. loves to wear all-white
I was asked to shoot for a friend's ROM (@ ROM itself + a dinner in the evening) this Friday. I'm wondering what gear should I bring and how the flash lightings should be set up. Will a Gary Fong LS be useful or just a bounce-card or a stofen omni-bounce?

My gear:

KM 7D
11-18/4.5-5.6 D
17-35/F2.8-4 D
28-75/2.8
50/1.7
70-200/f2.8
5600HS(D)

Thanks... :D

Hi bro,

for the ROM shoot, your 28-75mm f2.8 should be good enough. For the dinner, you can use the 28-75mm f2.8 for normal shots and the 17-35mm shoudl be able to cover the table to table shots. Flash with LS would be good enough. You may want to go to the venue to experiment and recce the place first. Do watch out for the WB though.

I was asked to shoot for a friend's ROM (@ ROM itself + a dinner in the evening) this Friday. I'm wondering what gear should I bring and how the flash lightings should be set up. Will a Gary Fong LS be useful or just a bounce-card or a stofen omni-bounce?

My gear:

KM 7D
11-18/4.5-5.6 D
17-35/F2.8-4 D
28-75/2.8
50/1.7
70-200/f2.8
5600HS(D)

KM 7D
11-18/4.5-5.6 D
17-35/F2.8-4 D

and a decent flash will do

LS, keep that thing in the bag, its complelety useless.

Hi bro,

for the ROM shoot, your 28-75mm f2.8 should be good enough. For the dinner, you can use the 28-75mm f2.8 for normal shots and the 17-35mm shoudl be able to cover the table to table shots. Flash with LS would be good enough. You may want to go to the venue to experiment and recce the place first. Do watch out for the WB though.

Thanks for the advice. Seems like I won't be lugging a brick bag that day.;)

I haven't got my hands on the LS yet, I was thinking if the stofen or bounce-card would be sufficient. Do you have any experience with LS?

I wish I can recce the venue 1st but I don't even know what time to meet the soon-to-groom on Fri! Grrrrrrr!

KM 7D
11-18/4.5-5.6 D
17-35/F2.8-4 D

and a decent flash will do

LS, keep that thing in the bag, its complelety useless.

I might drop the 11-18, not exactly a decent lens to shoot a family portrait. I don't want to be answerable for making any of the family members who are standing at the extreme left and right look like a squashed potato. :bsmilie:

Next to go into the bag is the 17-35.

I might drop the 11-18, not exactly a decent lens to shoot a family portrait. I don't want to be answerable for making any of the family members who are standing at the extreme left and right look like a squashed potato. :bsmilie:

Next to go into the bag is the 17-35.
well, not for formal portrait or group shot, but it comes it real well when trying to capture subject in another perspective... (ie when they are playing games or something...)

My gear:

KM 7D
11-18/4.5-5.6 D
17-35/F2.8-4 D
28-75/2.8
50/1.7
70-200/f2.8
5600HS(D)

lol...i think u dun have experience shooting ROMs. nice gears though.

my advice: take the 17-35 + 28-75 + flash. ( actually,the kit lens range is the best)

- Turn off the body anti-shake and use ur flash to ensure good shutter speed: you will find ur pics a bit sharper.

- From what i can infer, u prob can't shoot well yet. If possible , go for F5.6 above to reduce those out of focus shots.

-gary fong light sphere is an expensive piece of what essentially a $2 bounce card can produce item( if u know how to use)

lol...i think u dun have experience shooting ROMs. nice gears though.

my advice: take the 17-35 + 28-75 + flash. ( actually,the kit lens range is the best)

- Turn off the body anti-shake and use ur flash to ensure good shutter speed: you will find ur pics a bit sharper.

- From what i can infer, u prob can't shoot well yet. If possible , go for F5.6 above to reduce those out of focus shots.

-gary fong light sphere is an expensive piece of what essentially a $2 bounce card can produce item( if u know how to use)

Well, it's my virgin ROM shoot. Capturing people is not my forte, I prefer non-moving objects.

Thanks for the advice. Seems like I won't be lugging a brick bag that day.;)

I haven't got my hands on the LS yet, I was thinking if the stofen or bounce-card would be sufficient. Do you have any experience with LS?

I wish I can recce the venue 1st but I don't even know what time to meet the soon-to-groom on Fri! Grrrrrrr!

Yes, I have used a LS on my 3600 before. Since you do not own one yet, you may want to consider if you really need to get one since you do not use it very often. A simple bounce card or the omni-bounce (if you have it) will do the job too.

Well, since you already know that you are going to the ROM to take pictures, you may want to go there to take a few test shots and compare the results with different settings first. Why wait for the groom to-be? Just find out where will the dinner be hosted and go talk to the people there to let you look at the place and perhaps take some sample shots too. They are quite accomodating as long as you do not disturb their guests.

Do remember to bring extra batteries & CF cards on the actual day. :)

Yes, I have used a LS on my 3600 before. Since you do not own one yet, you may want to consider if you really need to get one since you do not use it very often. A simple bounce card or the omni-bounce (if you have it) will do the job too.

Well, since you already know that you are going to the ROM to take pictures, you may want to go there to take a few test shots and compare the results with different settings first. Why wait for the groom to-be? Just find out where will the dinner be hosted and go talk to the people there to let you look at the place and perhaps take some sample shots too. They are quite accomodating as long as you do not disturb their guests.

Do remember to bring extra batteries & CF cards on the actual day. :)

I've a omni-bounce, so I guess I will stick to that.

Well, I wish I can pop by to take a look at the 2 places 1st but I just can't find time for them. By the time I knk off from work, ROM will be a deserted place.

OK. Your Omni-bounce will suffice. For ROM if you are inside the waiting room, the ceiling is not very high. For the solemnisation room, the space is rather small if you were to stand behind the officials to get a good shot of the couple. A 17-35mm will do a better job. Must...must watch out for WB.

For the dinner wise, I can't advise you cos you have to judge for yourself but most common area to look out for is the WB and the height of the ceiling if you are bouncing the flash.

A external flash batt pack would help for capture more moment shots during the ROM.

OK. Your Omni-bounce will suffice. For ROM if you are inside the waiting room, the ceiling is not very high. For the solemnisation room, the space is rather small if you were to stand behind the officials to get a good shot of the couple. A 17-35mm will do a better job. Must...must watch out for WB.

For the dinner wise, I can't advise you cos you have to judge for yourself but most common area to look out for is the WB and the height of the ceiling if you are bouncing the flash.

Great! Thanks!

guess your friend appointment time is after 4pm, so will be using 2nd level, the some part of the waiting area is at level 2 is very high, so don't use bounce light there, the ceremony is very short, won't last more than 5mins, so don't have time for you to change lens, use 17~35 in the room, when you are out, can change to 28~75 for some group shots and couple shots, you won't have time to do outdoor as everyone want to go for dinner, the rest the lens has little use.

btw, since you don't have batteries pack for the flash, use bounce card is better than omni bounce or LS PJ.

guess your friend appointment time is after 4pm, so will be using 2nd level, the some part of the waiting area is at level 2 is very high, so don't use bounce light there, the ceremony is very short, won't last more than 5mins, so don't have time for you to change lens, use 17~35 in the room, when you are out, can change to 28~75 for some group shots and couple shots, you won't have time to do outdoor as everyone want to go for dinner, the rest the lens has little use.

btw, since you don't have batteries pack for the flash, use bounce card is better than omni bounce or LS PJ.

Those are very good advices, will do that on Friday. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.