ROM Photography Charges

Maxixen

Oct 7, 2010
Hello guys,
any tips on charging on ROM photography services?
Quite a headache on should i charge per hour? or minimum 2 hours? How much should i charge?
Keep your suggestion coming guys, a newbie here in need of help :)

Hello guys,
any tips on charging on ROM photography services?
Quite a headache on should i charge per hour? or minimum 2 hours? How much should i charge?
Keep your suggestion coming guys, a newbie here in need of help :)

Overhead (expenditure you need to pay with or without any assignment, hourly multiply by estimate time spent for this project ) + Cost of production (renting/purchase/depreciation of equipment for this assignment + plan B) + labor (wages of yours and assistants or any hired persons + welfare) + materials (cost of materials will be consume for this assignment x 300% markup) + expecting profit (pure profit, the incentive to drive you for taking up next project)

the figures of each components are different from one person to another, give you a sum of figure to quote for a job is not realistic.

You can charge
1) by the hour or
2) a package for the contracted period.
3) Additional charge for addtional hours

Charge an amount you are comfartable with
and make it worth your while.
Of course you need to take into consideration of competition.

Abdullah | www.PictureU.biz | Instant Photography for Events |

Last edited:
Minimum 2hrs to make it worthwhile for the transportation to and fro venue, meetup before shoot, and meetup after shoot to hand over disc etc. I think even for not very experienced freelancers doing snapshots it would need to be $188 minimum to be worthwhile.

I am just a regular guy, 2hrs without prints is $388. Can get approx 10 ROMs each year.
This is just "snacks", you have to put into consideration that someone booked you for ROM and you cannot take ADs already. Also if the ROM is right smack in the middle of the day, you cannot do much family time "before". "After" is ok, I usually just go and meet my family directly after the shoot. As I do not drive, I have to carry 9.7kg of equipment along with me while shopping, dining. Before the ROM you have to pack your equipment, test, prepare to go out like bathing/eating your meals, changing clothes, psyching yourself out.....and coming back bathe again. Worth it for $188 if you are inexperienced? Shd be still ok & bearable. But shd you do it for $88? I hope not! (Well there are always people doing $200 shoots for 6-hrs, and usually also rubber band timing one...bleah....and I heard now the market is dipping to $120-150 already as cam operators :D ).

For hot dates you might not even want to do ROMs. Any 1-yr exp freelancers wanna do 2-hr ROM for $268 on 20th Nov, 11th Nov? I don't think so.

What competition is there for ROM? Its either do, or don't do, worth or not worth your while. ADs is different, 1 shot all the way.....
And remember, ROMs you still need to perform, and no such thing as late, camera spoilt, PC corrupted, CF/SD corrupted. You still bear the reputation being tainted risk, due to weather, theft, unreasonable couples etc.

Minimum 2hrs to make it worthwhile for the transportation to and fro venue, meetup before shoot, and meetup after shoot to hand over disc etc. I think even for not very experienced freelancers doing snapshots it would need to be $188 minimum to be worthwhile.

I am just a regular guy, 2hrs without prints is $388. Can get approx 10 ROMs each year.
This is just "snacks", you have to put into consideration that someone booked you for ROM and you cannot take ADs already. Also if the ROM is right smack in the middle of the day, you cannot do much family time "before". "After" is ok, I usually just go and meet my family directly after the shoot. As I do not drive, I have to carry 9.7kg of equipment along with me while shopping, dining. Before the ROM you have to pack your equipment, test, prepare to go out like bathing/eating your meals, changing clothes, psyching yourself out.....and coming back bathe again. Worth it for $188 if you are inexperienced? Shd be still ok & bearable. But shd you do it for $88? I hope not! (Well there are always people doing $200 shoots for 6-hrs, and usually also rubber band timing one...bleah....and I heard now the market is dipping to $120-150 already as cam operators :D ).

For hot dates you might not even want to do ROMs. Any 1-yr exp freelancers wanna do 2-hr ROM for $268 on 20th Nov, 11th Nov? I don't think so.

What competition is there for ROM? Its either do, or don't do, worth or not worth your while. ADs is different, 1 shot all the way.....
And remember, ROMs you still need to perform, and no such thing as late, camera spoilt, PC corrupted, CF/SD corrupted. You still bear the reputation being tainted risk, due to weather, theft, unreasonable couples etc.

Agree.. see this thread better. http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797200 :embrass: